The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

Here's another reason why:

These dumb key/economy thread posts. It's a fucking Economy for crying out loud. Currencies change overtime.

And tl;dr

• Like 3

Backpack.tf just gives a price reflection of the market, they go up because people are willing to pay that price. The economy WILL NOT crash because of Keys rising, if they go to 30 Refined on backpack.tf, then it means people are willing to give 30 Refined for a Key.

I highly doubt they'll go so high, then it also means that Refined is easier to get, thus making it less valuable, and new traders can easier get Refined which then mean that Keys are as hard to get as when they were only 6 Refined.

I don't know why the reason you say Keys should be lower is that "If they go higher the economy will crash" well, what do you base that on? Do you even have any knowledge about an economy? Saying the economy will crash because a currency goes higher isn't enough, you need to explain it alot more why it will and how it will.

No need to read,your complains are useless.

Blame the outpost sellers and buyers

Backpack.tf is just to show updated prices.

Keys will rise whenever op sellers and buyers want.

If mods can rise keys by their own wants i would have drop keys to 4 ref

What I dont get is why people want to "help new players" by screwing over those who have traded their backpack up from nothing or have used irl money by making keys worthless...

quoting:

lol at all the people who talk about greed but don't understand what greed is. Let me tell you what "greed" is. All the people who spend no money on this game at all and expect to get free money by playing a free game. Screw the people who paid for the game when it came out. Screw the people who pay hard earned money they received as pocket money on an allowance, Christmas money, birthday money, or real money from paying jobs. Yeah. All those people who actually paid for their keys. Lets make those keys worth 1 ref and essentially worthless so that the cheap people who never want to add a dime to the economy can benefit. 

And you know who is complaining about greed. All these cheap people who want free money. 

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/10482-key-prices-backpacktf-influenced/?p=118338

• Like 4

Also, think about the future. Think about all the new players! People are quitting the game, as well as newer P2Ps. If keys rise to 30 refined, the economy will crash. If we don't do something soon, we will all be screwed and NOBODY will ever have valued items. Soon it will be, "Keys: 1.1 Buds".Do we want this beautiful TF2 economy to end?

this is the argument for practically every "oh the economy is dying, keys need to go down to 1 scarp"

why do we need to look THIS far in the future? and are we assuming that NOTHING will ever happen or change for the x number of months of years till this happens?

and about the new players, why would we want people who only complain about how keys are too high, kinda like you? if you don't like it, leave

I could be making many comebacks to these hate comments, but I won't. I didn't post this thread to start a fight. I simply posted this to call attention to a potential problem we all could face in the future. I'm not here to complain or blame anyone. If I came off that way, just get it. Seriously. Does every post I see made by people on forums (any forum) have to be a giant hate squad?

• Like 1

I actually got on the forums specifically to discuss this. I've noticed a similar trend, both with Outpost Paypal buyers (including ones that I've used before) and in the SCM. In early January, keys were actually selling for higher than the Mann Co. Store prices at times. Now, $2.25 isn't uncommon, and there are even times when you can get them for less. Drops at the start of the year aren't uncommon, but this is quite a major drop and quite early for such a drop. I would say that the one week delay might be a factor, but that only explains the SCM price, not the Paypal price.

It's mostly the currency corrections valve made. Keys have a much more realistic value in other currencies than Euros now. And with that I mean that they cost roughly what $2.49 would get you with official currency exchanges whereas before the prices were all over the place and often made very little sense. Converted prices ranged from 2-3$. This correction of course heavily impacted the demand (and thus the price) on scm and PayPal keys

I could be making many comebacks to these hate comments, but I won't. I didn't post this thread to start a fight. I simply posted this to call attention to a potential problem we all could face in the future. I'm not here to complain or blame anyone. If I came off that way, just get it. Seriously. Does every post I see made by people on forums (any forum) have to be a giant hate squad?

If you receive hate everywhere maybe you should think about what it is you are posting. You are posting on a forum where well known traders and veteran traders roam. These are people who spend their IRL money to trade or have spent their time trading up backpacks.

Every complain is always along the lines of keys are too high! Need to make them worthless so new player can...etc fact is this is an economy prices change when people are willing to pay that much then why would the hard worker randomly lower their prices so those who don't work and don't put in any effort can benefit? The economy is run by users who are willing to spend their time trading up and those who use IRL money to buy items, not free players who don't want to do anything yet expects freebies. Do tramps and the homeless run the economy? Your argument is invalid

I've helped multiple players tho used to think that the economy is screwed well they now have backpacks worth multiple buds and even significantly more than my own why? Because they stopped complaining and started seeing why prices were changing and accepted that bitching ain't going to change anything

The most amusing part about this is that people complained and argued about the price of keys just as passionately back when they were 2-2.33 refined.

Just let that sink in for a minute.  Really reflect on it.

done?

Okay, good.  Long ago when I first started trading, I noticed that if there was one consistent thing, it was that if you spent long enough sitting on the same trade server, you would inevitably witness 2 people start to argue about the price of keys, and the longer that argument went on, the chances of more people jumping in to voice their opinion went up drastically.  What's changed about that today? 

Nothing.  Nothing about that has changed at all.  You know why?  People want keys.  Badly.  The demand for keys has always been pretty much universal and universally recognized.  It doesn't matter if the price is 1 refined or 20 refined.  It doesn't matter what the price of keys is.  People will always argue over it.  Always.

• Like 2

They always say, there are three things you never talk about with your friends: politics, religion, and most importantly, the price of keys.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got a problem tho .......... like, how is a key gonna be worth ~16 ref, when ~16 ref is nowhere near $2.49 (as of right now it's $1.92)?

Shouldn't ref and keys be more related? It doesn't matter if a key is 2 ref or 20 ref, but at least the ref amount should still equal what a key is worth IRL.

I got a problem tho .......... like, how is a key gonna be worth ~16 ref, when ~16 ref is nowhere near $2.49 (as of right now it's $1.92)?

Shouldn't ref and keys be more related? It doesn't matter if a key is 2 ref or 20 ref, but at least the ref amount should still equal what a key is worth IRL.

Ref is in Paypal price. Paypal price of keys is $1.7-$1.9, it's accurate

Ok.So,Price of keys go up.Shouldn't the price go up in the market as well?,i mean,anyone can buy keys from the market for 2 dollars and get super profit.one day Keys will go up to 27 refined and buy 2 or 3 from the market and make over like 82 Ref profit. isn't that insane?you can buy crap loads of stuff with 82 ref.also unusuals at key price would be super cheap.maybe fall down from 11 keys to like 7 or 6.that's insane don't you think?

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, March 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, March 6, 2015 - No reason given

Go away.

• Like 3

Ok.So,Price of keys go up.Shouldn't the price go up in the market as well?,i mean,anyone can buy keys from the market for 2 dollars and get super profit.one day Keys will go up to 27 refined and buy 2 or 3 from the market and make over like 82 Ref profit. isn't that insane?you can buy crap loads of stuff with 82 ref.also unusuals at key price would be super cheap.maybe fall down from 11 keys to like 7 or 6.that's insane don't you think?

It sounds like you're saying spending real money on keys is profit.

Keys aren't going up, refined is going down.

Yeah. That's all you need to know.

Here's my take on the price of keys. (this has nothing to do with any earlier posts)

The price of keys is 16-16.33 ref.

1 ref =12 cents

16.22x0.12=$1.95 (i round up)

Price for keys on tf2 shop=$2.20

price on tf2shop forums= $1.80-$2

so yeah backpack.tf prices are fine. 

The moral of the story? Become a tf2shop seller, and sell your keys for more than their worth. (It's what car salesmen do.)

Here's my take on the price of keys. (this has nothing to do with any earlier posts)

The price of keys is 16-16.33 ref.

1 ref =12 cents

16.22x0.12=$1.95 (i round up)

Price for keys on tf2 shop=$2.20

price on tf2shop forums= $1.80-$2

so yeah backpack.tf prices are fine. 

The moral of the story? Become a tf2shop seller, and sell your keys for more than their worth. (It's what car salesmen do.)

You do realize TF2shop takes a 15% cut of all sales. So those $2.20 sales only net the seller $1.87. 

I'm a little faggot,keys should go down cas I don't like the high price and can't buy them with the weaps I have. The should be one scrap.

Lol jk.

Well its mostly the faggots on outpost that charge more than what keys are worth people buy them, then BP.tf price suggesters see this use it as evidence for a raise in key price. Votes see that it has good evidence and up vote. The main problem is faggots on outpost and the trust people have in BP.tf