The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

Look at this wanker:

The moron doesn't even understand that actual proof of sales are required for suggestions to pass.  He thinks that price suggestions can pass based only on what a few sellers want.

10574265464_449a1b2b96_b.jpg

And people actually listen to this fuckwit.  Just read the comments section on the video.  I do like the idea of adding a counter to collector items though.  Credit where it is due.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Im new to all this "prices changing, predicting market" stuff, so forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot

I personally think Keys are dropping like crazy is because of the SCM 1 week tradable thing. It was implanted around Christmas. So people were buying Keys as usual and about now, around a week later, all those keys are becoming tradable again, resulting in the market being flooded with Keys, dropping the price a ton

This seem like a legitamate reason?

JNeb900ThePeril, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:56 AM, said:

Hi everyone. Im new to all this "prices changing, predicting market" stuff, so forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot

I personally think Keys are dropping like crazy is because of the SCM 1 week tradable thing. It was implanted around Christmas. So people were buying Keys as usual and about now, around a week later, all those keys are becoming tradable again, resulting in the market being flooded with Keys, dropping the price a ton

This seem like a legitamate reason?

This is what most people tend to think and it's part of it, yes, but the massive inflation (relative to ref) was a contributing factor as well.

I had originally typed out about 2 paragraphs where I was going to go into detail on this, but it would have taken about 10 more to explain and I didn't want to do that. Look at it this way: There are about a million keys right now (not including Strongbox keys, Robo-keys, etc). The SCM sees sales of about 5,000 per day. 5,000 extra keys on the market is not going to cause a crash. That's about 2-3 days' worth of key purchases minus uses (Mann Co. Store purchases, that is). And that doesn't even take into account the people that bought those keys on the SCM and used them to open crates within the week.

I should point out that there were a lot of keys bought from the Mann Co. Store around Christmas, so there were more becoming available than just the 5,000 (or so) from the SCM. I tend to think that the inflation was the major contributing factor, with the extra keys (which would have been on the market anyway by this time) being a minor contributing factor.

Also, the word for which you're looking is "implemented." It was implemented around Christmas. I can understand your mistake, but I figured I'd help you out with that.

1000th post! in this thread!

I'm one of those that just watch things get priced

I don't fully understand why people are so outwardly butthurt about stuff that doesn't affect them

people with buds complain about keys and people with keys complain about ref, tho incidentally No one complains about buds unless they are dipping

Can someone explain it to me?

I don't fully understand why people are so outwardly butthurt about stuff that doesn't affect them

people with buds complain about keys and people with keys complain about ref, tho incidentally No one complains about buds unless they are dipping

The awkwardness when it's actually 1001.

The funny thing is, it shows as reply 1000, which it is. But it's post 1001 as OP isn't a reply but is a post

The awkwardness when it's actually 1001.

The funny thing is, it shows as reply 1000, which it is. But it's post 1001 as OP isn't a reply but is a post

*nuclear seppuku inbound*

People need shit to complain about, it serves as a distraction. 

• 2 weeks later...

"If this was lower I could buy more of it" - "If this was higher I could get more items for it"

It's all in the greed and desperation ;)

Ok, I know that bp.tf only reflects the current state of the economy, does not influence it.

But between today and tomorrow you have clear proof that the prices on bp.tf have some effect on the economy.

Yesterday keys were priced at 13.33 ref and if you looked at the first page of classifieds it ranged from 13.33 to 13.77 ref.

Today we have a higher price of 13.66-14, which is reasonable, since everything below was hard to get. I am not saying that the price raise was not a good choice.

But! If you look at classifieds today, a few hours after the price change on bp.tf, the lowest classified is 13.88 and goes up to 14.22 on the first page.

If the price offers slowly rise and we change the price according to that, everything is fine. Then bp.tf would not influence the economy. But with today and yesterday, you can clearly see that the price change had a major effect on classified prices. A jump of half a ref within a day, after the lowest classified price was stable at 13.22-13.33 for over a week is not a coincidence. I don't believe that is happened by chance that the huge price jump happened right after the new suggestion was accepted.

Now, I am not saying that bp.tf is manipulating prices. I understand that it is intended to only represent the state of the economy.

But we have to consider that many people believe bp.tf is actually responsible for prices and if people believe it is responsible, it actually becomes responsible.

That is the problem. Not the website or the system, it's the people. They fail to understand why prices on bp.tf change the way they do and that results in people using bp.tf as their only source of information and a price change on bp.tf can have huge influence on the actual prices of items.

Does anybody agree, or is there some major flaw in my logic that I am missing? Please enlighten me and don't ban pls.

Ok, I know that bp.tf only reflects the current state of the economy, does not influence it.

But between today and tomorrow you have clear proof that the prices on bp.tf have some effect on the economy.

Yesterday keys were priced at 13.33 ref and if you looked at the first page of classifieds it ranged from 13.33 to 13.77 ref.

Today we have a higher price of 13.66-14, which is reasonable, since everything below was hard to get. I am not saying that the price raise was not a good choice.

But! If you look at classifieds today, a few hours after the price change on bp.tf, the lowest classified is 13.88 and goes up to 14.22 on the first page.

If the price offers slowly rise and we change the price according to that, everything is fine. Then bp.tf would not influence the economy. But with today and yesterday, you can clearly see that the price change had a major effect on classified prices. A jump of half a ref within a day, after the lowest classified price was stable at 13.22-13.33 for over a week is not a coincidence. I don't believe that is happened by chance that the huge price jump happened right after the new suggestion was accepted.

Now, I am not saying that bp.tf is manipulating prices. I understand that it is intended to only represent the state of the economy.

But we have to consider that many people believe bp.tf is actually responsible for prices and if people believe it is responsible, it actually becomes responsible.

That is the problem. Not the website or the system, it's the people. They fail to understand why prices on bp.tf change the way they do and that results in people using bp.tf as their only source of information and a price change on bp.tf can have huge influence on the actual prices of items.

Does anybody agree, or is there some major flaw in my logic that I am missing? Please enlighten me and don't ban pls.

It has been commonly acknowledged by the mods, users and by Brad that bp.tf does influence the market. What the common misconception is, is that bp.tf SETS the market. The rules have been adapted to lower bp.tf's influence on the market as much as possible as this is not the aim of bp.tf. Rules such as the key and buds cooldowns come from this

I need help. A friend of mine who is F2P just got 40$ worth of steam money. So he wants to buy 3 mann co. tickets and the rest keys. What is the best way that he can become premium AND get keys the cheapest. Any website that sells keys for around 2 USD? If so, does it require paypal or can he just do it using his steam wallet funds? Please reply, he wants to make the best of his money.

I need help. A friend of mine who is F2P just got 40$ worth of steam money. So he wants to buy 3 mann co. tickets and the rest keys. What is the best way that he can become premium AND get keys the cheapest. Any website that sells keys for around 2 USD? If so, does it require paypal or can he just do it using his steam wallet funds? Please reply, he wants to make the best of his money.

first of all, Steam Money =/= Paypal

Paypal sites sell them for 1.8-1.9, and they ONLY accept PayPal

You can always buy Tickets if you want to make use of SCM money and sell them for 2 for a key, 2$ per key

Paints work well (team colored and white/black).

All I know is that he can get premium cheap by buying the giftapault, which is 10 cents on the store.

• Administrators

All I know is that he can get premium cheap by buying the giftapault, which is 10 cents on the store.

Giftapault has been removed from the store, you can craft giftapault now.

Can anyone explain why it was so difficult to sell the keys for real money?

A month ago I was able to sell keys $1.8-1.9 and now It hard to sell keys even for $1.6. Most of Outpost buyers buying them for 1.5 and lower.

A month ago I was able to sell keys $1.8-1.9 and now It hard to sell keys even for $1.6. Most of Outpost buyers buying them for 1.5 and lower.

You... Must have very little rep. 1.6 isn't hard at all, and 1.5 is way too low

Fruit, on 28 Jan 2015 - 6:16 PM, said:

I actually got on the forums specifically to discuss this. I've noticed a similar trend, both with Outpost Paypal buyers (including ones that I've used before) and in the SCM. In early January, keys were actually selling for higher than the Mann Co. Store prices at times. Now, $2.25 isn't uncommon, and there are even times when you can get them for less. Drops at the start of the year aren't uncommon, but this is quite a major drop and quite early for such a drop. I would say that the one week delay might be a factor, but that only explains the SCM price, not the Paypal price.

I don't really use bp.tf forums, but I feel that by using it, I can reach out to some people. Now let me get this straight. 90% of the suggestions I see that vote for them up, don't even give a reason. It's just a link to outpost trades. They say, "Oh, just because people sell them higher and buy them lower that means we have to put them at the higher price". We all know that keys have always had the buy low/sell high aspect no matter WHAT the price, so giving links to a few outpost trades shouldn't even be a reason. Let me tell you, if you want to up the price, give a REAL reason. Actually support your point of view, don't let others supposedly do it for you.

Also, think about the future. Think about all the new players! People are quitting the game, as well as newer P2Ps. If keys rise to 30 refined, the economy will crash. If we don't do something soon, we will all be screwed and NOBODY will ever have valued items. Soon it will be, "Keys: 1.1 Buds".Do we want this beautiful TF2 economy to end?

Discuss.

People will highball them anyways. Example was when suggestion 14 - 14.33 was accepted.

Bp doesn't dictate prices, but reflects them.

P.s: didn't read