The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

Noticed recent drop of key price on steam community market, from Feb. 5 to Feb. 12

What was that, steam sale I missed? Or just XCOM 2 launch?

57e8049.jpg

Noticed recent drop of key price on steam community market, from Feb. 5 to Feb. 12

What was that, steam sale I missed? Or just XCOM 2 launch?

Yes, there was a sale called Steam Lunar New Year Sale during that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well. It's 19.77-20 ref right now. I'm actually wondering what would be next. A lot people predicted that keys are going to be around 16-17 ref after Xmas, but  look at these buyers. Buying keys for 19.55 today is a good deal that you most likely not going to get and you have to pay 19.66-19.77

• 4 weeks later...

On the 17 ref suggest:

This, my friends, is a trend that I personally find illogical. If refined metal goes down, and keys are priced in refined, why do keys go down aswell?
This is a perfect example of inward based economic decline brought fourth by an entire economy based on voting. This is just my opinion, but there should be a select group of backpack.tf admins assigned to prevent this from happening. Of course this suggestion will have evidence, when people see it they'll adjust their key priced to become competitive. All this will do is bring TF2 into another economic collapse that could have been prevented. I don't want to stand by and watch as the community I love dies for a second time.

On the 17 ref suggest:

This, my friends, is a trend that I personally find illogical. If refined metal goes down, and keys are priced in refined, why do keys go down aswell?

This is a perfect example of inward based economic decline brought fourth by an entire economy based on voting. This is just my opinion, but there should be a select group of backpack.tf admins assigned to prevent this from happening. Of course this suggestion will have evidence, when people see it they'll adjust their key priced to become competitive. All this will do is bring TF2 into another economic collapse that could have been prevented. I don't want to stand by and watch as the community I love dies for a second time.

First of, keys themselves have not gone down in value as they have remained around the 1.85 USD mark for quite some time. What is changing is what people are willing to sell them for in refined, one of the most common tf2 currencies, which is normal depending on what is currently happening in trading.

Secondly, votes do not solely determine if a suggestion passes or not; they serve to act as a tiebreaker if the admins assigned to look over the suggestion find evidence that can go either way. If evidence provided within a suggestion proves accurate and supports the evidence found by the admins who do their own search, then it passes, and in the case of keys atm that is what is happening. If the admins make an error however, people are free to suggest to fix said error, provided they can find enough evidence needed to debunk the accepted suggestion.

And third, the community has not died; if it did, then there wouldn't be a second time to die to considering, you know, when something dies it tends not to come back, hence being called "dead".

• Like 1

Can anyone give me a brief summary on what is happening with the key prices? Why they are going up, then back down? This has happened twice, and I am just confused as to why this can happen.

I am not an economic major so I may not know everything about the economy.

I would really appreciate anyway, thanks!

Can anyone give me a brief summary on what is happening with the key prices? Why they are going up, then back down? This has happened twice, and I am just confused as to why this can happen.

I am not an economic major so I may not know everything about the economy.

I would really appreciate anyway, thanks!

People see keys at a high price.

People think no this too high im not paying that.

Keys dont sell.

People with keys think 'fuck i need to sell my keys i need to be cheaper than other people'.

Other people with keys do the same.

People with keys panic and think 'wtf why are keys going down better sell them now or ill lose all my money'.

Keys go down until the amount of people buying them exceed the amount selling again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From what I know, backpack.tf makes it's prices from people's inputs of what they have ethier sold it or think it should be. However, I've just jumped into TF2 trading and as I was looking back at a video from 2014 I saw that Keys were literally HALF THE PRICE THAT THEY ARE NOW ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

That aside, I have also seen way more people with Unusuals than there were in my past years playing. So... at some point there became this huge group of people that earned enough keys to unbox a few unusuals or some other wierd thing. That and the advent of the Gun Mettle Update (which gave everyone 20 million more items to trade) turned tf2 into what it is today.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very scared for what the future holds, if keys are going to be 20 ref by now I'll have to buy them instead of waiting to make ref. It honestly would feel like the cheaper option by now

Good grief... I know that voting is not for what'll really happen but the keys are starting to get expensive since they're getting near 20 ref because of the whole upward trend.

I think we should start talking about a economic inflation or whatever to lower the value so they can be more affordable (Though I doubt if it ever stop...). The keys are starting to get harder to obtain for new players so they can experience what it's like to open keys or use them to their advantage to buy stuff. Like I'm worried, I know people make metal out of weapons but have we gone too far? Is it greed? is it trying to get more while others obtain less? I'm not sure myself but if this keeps up then by the time Team Fortress 2 gets older the Keys might reach the price of a common unusual or more than 50+ refined metal.

Good grief... I know that voting is not for what'll really happen but the keys are starting to get expensive since they're getting near 20 ref because of the whole upward trend.

the same thing that's always happened.  people will freak out and life will go on as always.  keys have been amazingly stable for a very long time.  i'm not expecting this bump to last very long.

I'm very scared for what the future holds, if keys are going to be 20 ref by now I'll have to buy them instead of waiting to make ref. It honestly would feel like the cheaper option by now

the future holds the same as the past.  people who want keys will pay what they can and sellers will charge what they can get away with.

in 3.5 years of trading i never traded metal for keys - people trading metal for keys are the reason the price changes...  literally.

From what I know, backpack.tf makes it's prices from people's inputs of what they have ethier sold it or think it should be. However, I've just jumped into TF2 trading and as I was looking back at a video from 2014 I saw that Keys were literally HALF THE PRICE THAT THEY ARE NOW ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

half?  dude, they used to be ~1/8th when the "panic panic, the sky is falling" started....  in the winter of 2012-2013.

check the first post in this thread: 19 March 2013 - 03:44 PM (that was already long after the panic was under way)

and 19.77 on the backpack.tf.

This situation looks different and more serious than any other times in past before price drop. Honestly I don't really think it will ever drop at this state. Even if it will I wouldn't expect anything lower than 19 ref per key. 

Basically key has increased price for ~1 ref for 1.5 weeks. That's scary.

Theres a summer sale coming in a week or 2. Don't be surprised if key prices crash a little, it's happened every time new keys or the summer/'winter sales come out as people trade for cards, sell stuff and try to buy games. The market doesn't seem to hold at 20 ref/key for some reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very simple question:
Why is there a disparity between ref and key prices?

1 ref = 10c

20 ref = 1 key

1 key = $2.50

$2.00=$2.50???

Why the loss in value? Trader's fee? Something about being able to use ref or keys in their respective ways? Change in market values? I can't make heads or tails of this. So... what do you guys think?

Very simple question:

Why is there a disparity between ref and key prices?

1 ref = 10c

20 ref = 1 key

1 key = $2.50

$2.00=$2.50???

Why the loss in value? Trader's fee? Something about being able to use ref or keys in their respective ways? Change in market values? I can't make heads or tails of this. So... what do you guys think?

Keys don't sell for $2.50 in real money. They sell for ~$1.80-$1.85.

Keys don't sell for $2.50 in real money. They sell for ~$1.80-$1.85.

$2.50 from the store, $2.36 in the market.

$2.50 from the store, $2.36 in the market.

steam market money isn't quite the same as "real" money.  'cause good luck getting it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we expect keys to cost less in ref after this Sale? Or nothing is going to be change and keys would stick around 20 ref?

I expected keys to crash because of the summer sale... but valve didnt do anything for tf2 during the summer sale (was anything on sale? They usually put tools or paints on sale, and make a big deal of it). So right now keys have been steady at 20 ref, with scrap.tf knocking the offer price down to 19.77 or so, and there was a period of time when they had 250+ keys in stock for more than 10 minutes. 

I didn't think the market could handle > 20 refined for keys... I didn't think the market could handle 20 ref at all but its been a while and the price has held steady. Perhaps when the new weapon is released, we'll see key prices drop a bit but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

That's pretty sad. Guys, do you think key would continue cost more and more in ref? I'm seeing a lot people selling it for +20.33 already and I don't understand how market handled that high price.

There are theories that key price might go down in metal in next few weeks.