The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

Guess I wasn't clear enough, the price in ref for keys is 6x as much as it was when I last played, and I'm asking why that might be.

because the conversion rate went up.

From the time you left to the time you came back, there would have been a lot of new people joining TF2. Most would be able to trade. All of that most, of course, would want keys because they're seen as the premium currency, as well as the fact that they're used for uncrating as well. The demand is high and so, prices would go up in order to compensate for it.

because the conversion rate went up.

From the time you left to the time you came back, there would have been a lot of new people joining TF2. Most would be able to trade. All of that most, of course, would want keys because they're seen as the premium currency, as well as the fact that they're used for uncrating as well. The demand is high and so, prices would go up in order to compensate for it.

Thanks!

>Key prices are falling at an extremely fast rate.

> Refined is not going up at all.

That a bad thing?

During that same time however, a lot of people also left the game.  I would say there's definitely less active players now than 2 years ago, so that's not it.   

It's more and more refined entering the game (through weekly weapon drops) and refined no longer serving a purpose, since it's cheaper to buy a craft hat than to craft one.  So the amount of refined in the game is always growing much quicker than the number of keys.   This is actually true for most items (hats, miscs, stranges) which leads to their devaluation.  Keys however are tied to the Mann Co store price and thus are basically immune to this devaluation due to increasing numbers.   Then there are the key flippers who contribute to rising key prices (they accelerate the trend).  

During that same time however, a lot of people also left the game.  I would say there's definitely less active players now than 2 years ago, so that's not it.   

It's more and more refined entering the game (through weekly weapon drops) and refined no longer serving a purpose, since it's cheaper to buy a craft hat than to craft one.  So the amount of refined in the game is always growing much quicker than the number of keys.   This is actually true for most items (hats, miscs, stranges) which leads to their devaluation.  Keys however are tied to the Mann Co store price and thus are basically immune to this devaluation due to increasing numbers.   Then there are the key flippers who contribute to rising key prices (they accelerate the trend).  

you can't have both.  either a lot of people have left the game or too much refined is going in.

btw: http://steamcharts.com/app/440#All

Okay, here's the thing.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Many people in the community are saying that Key prices are going down. But it actually isn't dropping.

A key is commonly priced at 2 USD regardless of how many of them exists. Sure there are sellers higher/lower than this value but you get the point.

Now, when we look at metals, we can see that in the past week, a key dropped from 19 refined to 17 refined. Keys didn't drop from 2 USD to 1.8 USD.

Instead, Refined metals actually rose in value. So before you continue commenting anywhere about how keys are dropping in value, remember that it isn't but actually it's metals that are increasing in value.

I'm not playing this game anymore so could anyone explain why exactly ref are more valuable right than then it was month ago? What exactly changed?

Alright, heres my 2 cents

As more and more normal item drops are found there is more and more metal; and they don't get used up like keys in crates (unless theres a crafting event?), at least not nearly as often, using this logic since the amount of keys are -KINDA- stable and the amount of metal is always going up, should the price of keys in metal also not go up? Logic.

Cent 2

If the amount of ref in a key goes down, shouldn't the $ value of ref also go up to keep the price of the key in metal at a stable 2$? also, if amount of ref in key goes up, ref price should go down to balance it out, right?

What's a good time to cash in my ref for keys? Should I go now or wait to see if prices on keys get lower? Any thoughts?

What's a good time to cash in my ref for keys? Should I go now or wait to see if prices on keys get lower? Any thoughts?

Now is a good time, ref is dropping in price again.

• 2 months later...

the way i see it, keys going up = more value for money if you buy in, but really horrible for people who don't want to/can't. 

• 1 month later...

Guys what is going on with key price? It was stable for last 3 months and now it "raising" again

Woah, a whole reclaimed in 3 months. That's like 0.2% in over 90 days.

Even 2.66 keys were more volatile than this.

Woah, a whole reclaimed in 3 months. That's like 0.2% in over 90 days.

Even 2.66 keys were more volatile than this.

Its more like 0.55 just for the last week and It's pretty sad.

I'm just trying to find what is going on and what exactly affecting the key price that much.

Halloween event? I doubt because it's started like two weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Its more like 0.55 just for the last week and It's pretty sad.

I'm just trying to find what is going on and what exactly affecting the key price that much.

Halloween event? I doubt because it's started like two weeks ago.

Halloween unusuals can only be unboxed during halloween, so yes.

What happened? In last five days, key price increased +1 ref, quickly. (17 ref) And now people started to buy at 18, 18.11 ref.

Should I convert to metal ? or keeping as key can be more profitable?

What happened? In last five days, key price increased +1 ref, quickly. (17 ref) And now people started to buy at 18, 18.11 ref.

Should I convert to metal ? or keeping as key can be more profitable?

- Halloween

- Smissmas is coming

- Winter Sale is coming

- Escrow

- Speculation

They will probably rise till Christmas/New Year's Eve, then crash right after that. At least this is what happened last time.

I'd say 20-22 ref is possible (they already reached 20 ref in the past).

• 4 weeks later...

They will probably rise till Christmas/New Year's Eve, then crash right after that. At least this is what happened last time.

I'd say 20-22 ref is possible (they already reached 20 ref in the past).

Well, that prediction looks like it's having a pretty slim chance of coming to true now.

• 1 month later...

is it though?  the most recent (legitimate) attempt to drop the price of refined failed

Well they key price was stable for almost month ~17-17.33 ref and look at outpost and backpack.tf. People already selling keys for 18.33-18.44. Obviously something going on, something affects the key price.

• 2 weeks later...