The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

The argument:

If keys are 6 Ref then it would take 2.5 months to get 1 key. 6 Ref=108 Weapons/10 items per week=11 weeks (2.75 Months)

needs to stop, right now. 

Nothing in life is free. Go to a bank, you'll get 2%~ interest; at this rate it would take 20 years to turn 1 weapon into $1.80 (assuming interest is compounded monthly). So stop it. 

As many traders know, the price of the key in TF 2 is going up at a very fast rate. A rate of about a scrap per week. One of the problems causing this rise is the decrease in the value of metal. As more people are joining, playing, and collecting items in TF2, more and more metal have went into circulation. TF 2 metal has a real world currency value, but due to large amounts of metal in the market the overall value of metal is going down. Since one of the main problems in TF 2 is that there is too much metal, us TF 2 gamers and traders could help get rid off some of the metal in circulation by just simply deleting the metal in inventory.

One of my thoughts to permanently remove metal from the market is that backpack.tf or scrap.tf could start a raffle. People would buy tickets with metal and bots would gather up all the metal. The bots would delete 10% of the metal, and give out raffle prizes in metal to the people who bought tickets. With some of the metal gone in TF 2, the value of metal should gradually increase or at least be stalled in the decrease. The most major factor is the amount of people participating. Since backpack.tf and scrap.tf are trusted sites, hopefully most people wouldn't have many qualms about buying tickets and worrying about being scammed.

Hopefully, you readers have found this article insightful. Please give me your thoughts in the comments below.

Thank you, and Happy Trading!

TmBard

As many traders know, the price of the key in TF 2 is going up at a very fast rate. A rate of about a scrap per week. One of the problems causing this rise is the decrease in the value of metal. As more people are joining, playing, and collecting items in TF2, more and more metal have went into circulation. TF 2 metal has a real world currency value, but due to large amounts of metal in the market the overall value of metal is going down. Since one of the main problems in TF 2 is that there is too much metal, us TF 2 gamers and traders could help get rid off some of the metal in circulation by just simply deleting the metal in inventory.

One of my thoughts to permanently remove metal from the market is that backpack.tf or scrap.tf could start a raffle. People would buy tickets with metal and bots would gather up all the metal. The bots would delete 10% of the metal, and give out raffle prizes in metal to the people who bought tickets. With some of the metal gone in TF 2, the value of metal should gradually increase or at least be stalled in the decrease. The most major factor is the amount of people participating. Since backpack.tf and scrap.tf are trusted sites, hopefully most people wouldn't have many qualms about buying tickets and worrying about being scammed.

Hopefully, you readers have found this article insightful. Please give me your thoughts in the comments below.

Thank you, and Happy Trading!

TmBard

Implying theres any issue with keys rising. 

Also, theres a thread specific for key stuff in the eocnomy section. 

P.s. Thats actual manipulation :/

its not purely the quantity of metal in the game thats the problem, keys have a much greater use then ref does. The only reason Ref is value is because it can be used to craft hats, so you can clearly see that as time goes on hats become more common, and therefore their price drops. As a result the price of Ref will drop as well as there is a decrease in demand.

keys aren't rising that fast anymore, if they were rising a scrap a week still, they'd be 8 ref at least by now

at most by your strategy we wouldn't get rid of even .01% of the metal, since most of tf2 is either poor so a ref is a ton to them, or greedy

@Advanced Member: You'd be surprised.

@AwesomeSauce: Then can you predict the future of the TF 2 economy? With key prices rising, I'm quite sure the gap between rich and poor people in TF 2 will grow. But for most people that play TF 2 for fun, this won't matter to them.

@AwesomeSauce: Then can you predict the future of the TF 2 economy? With key prices rising, I'm quite sure the gap between rich and poor people in TF 2 will grow. But for most people that play TF 2 for fun, this won't matter to them.

Try referring to us by our names rather than our tags. 

And actually yes, i can predict whats going to happen. So far i've predicted things quite well, its fairly basic economics, and nothing that has happened yet is truly abnormal. 

Just read one of the many things i've written about keys over the past several months. 

A better way is to get get a group of people to stop buying keys at the higher prices :l

Theres already multiple groups of people like that and guess what......None of them have really made any profit since they started doing it. 

Accept the increase, and move on. You'll be much better off. 

Why have SOP prices still not risen yet....

Market Keys used to be $2.15~ ($1.88 after fees) and SOP Keys were $1.80~

Keys are $2.41 ($2.10 after fees) in the market, So SOP keys should go up to $1.95~

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone even read what I posted straight from the 'mouth' of Swag [inc]?

Swag has also said that key-item trades do not affect key price when the item is worth more than a key (for example: buying a buds for 10 keys doesn't raise the reported value of a key). 

Assuming key-item trades are much more numerous than key-ref trades (which he's also said), trade.tf is really reporting the answer to "how much value is gotten for a key, when buying items worth less than a key?"   

It should be no surprise that the answer is consistently lower than what you can sell a key for in pure.  If I'm selling a hat for 2 ref and someone pays with a key, I'm doing them a favor by giving change ("buying" their key) and will value the key accordingly. 

Swag has also said that key-item trades do not affect key price when the item is worth more than a key (for example: buying a buds for 10 keys doesn't raise the reported value of a key). 

Assuming key-item trades are much more numerous than key-ref trades (which he's also said), trade.tf is really reporting the answer to "how much value is gotten for a key, when buying items worth less than a key?"   

It should be no surprise that the answer is consistently lower than what you can sell a key for in pure.  If I'm selling a hat for 2 ref and someone pays with a key, I'm doing them a favor by giving change ("buying" their key) and will value the key accordingly.

The post was 2 months ago nak.

Why have SOP prices still not risen yet....Market Keys used to be $2.15~ ($1.88 after fees) and SOP Keys were $1.80~Keys are $2.41 ($2.10 after fees) in the market, So SOP keys should go up to $1.95~

With event coming up maybe most of the transactions are staying in the steam market. Traders keeping/putting currency there.