The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

I think that to determine the definite price of 1 key we would have to go through a few mathematical calculations to define the last and untouchable price. I could try to do this tomorrow maybe. If anyone wants to help or do something about this, feel free to tell me.

There r 2 more trade price limits to cross. 6.33 and 7.33.

i just want to point out that this basis for many arguments is false.  metal is born of time spent playing the game.  you may find it laughable since this almost implies valve paying us to play the game, but yes, they are in fact paying us to play the game.  it's an enticement which ultimately leads some of us to spend money in the mannco store.  but ultimately time is the most precious commodity, extremely valuable, and valve would much rather have us playing tf2 than sim city with the limited time we do have...

and please don't bring up the idle accounts thing - i do not think it is happening in significant enough quantity to warrant drastic devaluation of metal.

Problem is that its not work of any true value.

Ask yourself this, how much would someone pay you to do this "time spent playing the game" work?;)

Its like asking other people to pay you to sleep, its worth something to you, its not to other people.

This conversion problem brings us to another, more serious one : since metal production is hard-capped on a weekly basis, (our “factory†is only productive 10h per week ), it becomes more and more difficult for individual buyers who seldom buy keys with SW$ to keep up (i.e. "casual" traders). This comes at a price in the mid-term : items worth less than 10 keys will stagnate at best, as any further increase will put out more potential buyers than ever before (this is known as a situation of high price elasticity), since adding 1 key equates to adding 4.5+ refined. Furthermore, don’t forget that since the summer of 2012, a lot of items passed the key mark (festives anyone?), many other newly-released ones traded steadily for 1-3k and a bunch of unusuals fell under 20k. That’s a sick increase in the volume of mid-value items, where keys traditionally reign supreme, and hence in competition.
  • With many more trades progressively occurring at 3 ref, not everyone will stubbornly spend hours looking for 2.88 deals which are still valid on OP, or by server-hopping. Wait too long, and you may even have to pay 3.11 in the future, and "screw this, I want X hat/misc"

Tf2 is a f2p model game.  Its not a IRL work simulator.   People get a base line of game play in f2p, to get more you pay for it..  It doesn't matter if its difficult or even impossible for a f2p to save up for nice things for "free", they were never entitled or should have the expectation of being able to.  Keys are easily affordable with cash, they are 2.50 as they ever were.  If this is a problem, then that person probably can't afford broadband or the computer to play the game, and keys are the least of their problems.  Its actually the opposite anyways, because more and more genuines/uncrates/and drops flood the market, the cost of a basic "standard of living" in tf2 keeps dropping.  Equipping a basic strange, like a scattergun used to cost keys, a new player now can get it for 1 refined. There will always be a gap between those who pay something and those who pay nothing, but in total the basic standard of living in tf2 continues to rise.  Most hats aren't crafted away...  the competition is increasing because people fulfill their basic needs so much easier now, they can compete for keys.

The idea of laziness being responsible for key price rises in a "vicious circle" doesn't work, you could apply that to every other item, and they would endlessly rise...assuming everyone is a saudi prince making it rain every time they join a server....   truth is..people bargain hunt..always will, and the poor/cheap always outnumber the rich...kind of by definition.   I don't think most people only trade on trade servers, its just far more efficient to trade using a site like outpost.

Tf2 is a f2p model game.  Its not a IRL work simulator.   People get a base line of game play in f2p, to get more you pay for it..  It doesn't matter if its difficult or even impossible for a f2p to save up for nice things for "free", they were never entitled or should have the expectation of being able to.  Keys are easily affordable with cash, they are 2.50 as they ever were.  If this is a problem, then that person probably can't afford broadband or the computer to play the game, and keys are the least of their problems.  Its actually the opposite anyways, because more and more genuines/uncrates/and drops flood the market, the cost of a basic "standard of living" in tf2 keeps dropping.  Equipping a basic strange, like a scattergun used to cost keys, a new player now can get it for 1 refined. There will always be a gap between those who pay something and those who pay nothing, but in total the basic standard of living in tf2 continues to rise.  Most hats aren't crafted away...  the competition is increasing because people fulfill their basic needs so much easier now, they can compete for keys.

The idea of laziness being responsible for key price rises in a "vicious circle" doesn't work, you could apply that to every other item, and they would endlessly rise...assuming everyone is a saudi prince making it rain every time they join a server....   truth is..people bargain hunt..always will, and the poor/cheap always outnumber the rich...kind of by definition.   I don't think most people only trade on trade servers, its just far more efficient to trade using a site like outpost.

That we have more players I think actually compensate for players falling behind. 

You only have to pay a couple of 10-cents to become a premiumplayer. 

And having an internet and a computer is not the same, as being able to pay for keys through steam market online. 

The computer can be old and internet can be paid by somebody else. 

Regardless, the trend of players not affording is not a myth. I noticed more and more players having to melt their entire backpack to get one item and also more "beggers". I get random adds from players asking to get an item for free, something that never happened 5 months ago. 

I have been invited to groups where they try to give eachother items for free. I encountered players selling keys in tight groups for much cheaper prices. 

I think why we dont notice it, is the increase of new F2P and through that new premiumplayers. 

Sooner or later thow the low-tier traders will reach a max what they can afford. When they hit the wall the mid-tier traders will follow and so on. 

Remember in order to make a profit, somebody else is taking a loss. 

If you get fewer traders, you get fewer players that can share the "burden of loss". Harder to make a profit and the "pro-traders" will become fewer. Without the pro-traders you get fewer suppliers of certain items and things start to slow down in trading. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when keys reaches 6 ref in cost, if players will pay above 6 ref. 

Maybe the market is strong, but I think any trader should be humble when looking into the future. We might get a depression in the market.

Hi all!

About ref is free i may disagree

yes there are idlers acc, resellers and etc, but player are still paying at least for electricity and internet so it's not completle free.

so its only matter of time after 1 key is 10 ref and its sad :(

Hi all!

About ref is free i may disagree

yes there are idlers acc, resellers and etc, but player are still paying at least for electricity and internet so it's not completle free.

so its only matter of time after 1 key is 10 ref and its sad :(

While yes it technically isnt free but to get metal all you really have to do is play the game where as keys are purchasable only from the steam (2.5$). 

Your point about idlers is one of the very reasons why keys cost more refine to buy. Many many players know that metal is "free" and the simply use sandbox for a weekly 25+ ref and then convert to keys for easier resale, the dont really care about how much they are paying for it as for them it's essentially turning on their computer.

Also the point that many traders not dont really craft hats (leaving the market full of metal) where as for keys many people unbox in the hopes of getting an unusual.

Hmm, learned some things from reading the OP and the comments/criticisms.  Thanks for posting/pinning.  I have nothing to add to the discussion other than that at the moment.

Do anyone remember the key price as 2.55 and those were the days where these keys are easy to be obtained, but nowadays key prices are double the price of the old key price(2.55) and it starts to look like everyone is becoming GREEDY about the game, and such.

SO I WANT TO ASK WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PRICE RIGHT NOW FOR KEYS AND DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE AND ALSO IS THERE A IMPACT ON THE TF2 COMMUNITY?

(DON'T TELL ME THIS GOES ON THE PRICE VOTE)

LINK TO MY GROUP(it's AWESOME, trust me):Link removed because it wasn't awesome at all.

Edited by Chief D

Do anyone remember the key price as 2.55 and those were the days where these keys are easy to be obtained, but nowadays key prices are double the price of the old key price(2.55) and it starts to look like everyone is becoming GREEDY about the game, and such.

SO I WANT TO ASK WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PRICE RIGHT NOW FOR KEYS AND DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE AND ALSO IS THERE A IMPACT ON THE TF2 COMMUNITY?

(DON'T TELL ME THIS GOES ON THE PRICE VOTE)

LINK TO MY GROUP(it's AWESOME, trust me):Link removed because it wasn't awesome at all.

Keys used to be 1 Ref....

Key prices that are higher are understandable, it was just a matter of time till people strongly preferred keys over metal. 

Greedy people (like me) don't want higher key prices. It makes it so that there is an even smaller amount of traders that will have the keys to buy my items. 

The only ones who truly benefit from this are those who buy keys and those who are new to tf2. A key before only got you 2 hats or very few stranges and now it gets you much more. 

Key in USD has gone back to where it was before it dropped to 1.35$ and thats good. 

well last i remembered it was 2.55 ref

And they used to be 1 Ref.

Key prices change.

Deal with it. 

wasn't this my post?

I merged it because we only have 1 key topic in the forums. And you double posted and I locked your other thread.

LINK TO MY GROUP(it's AWESOME, trust me)

Seems like a very poorly veiled advertisement.  If you actually want to talk about key prices, read the rest of this thread first.

I don't want keys to go up, and I don't think anybody does, but the truth is: it's gonna happen, and there isn't much we can do with it. So deal with it, people. They're still $2.49 on the Mann Co. Store if you're really that desperate.

I don't want keys to go up, and I don't think anybody does, but the truth is: it's gonna happen, and there isn't much we can do with it. So deal with it, people. They're still $2.49 on the Mann Co. Store if you're really that desperate.

You forgot about the community market, keys there are usually about 40p cheaper than Mann co prices.

• 4 weeks later...