backpack.tf automatic help thread

Brad Pitt

Ok, you have terminal running. Type:

node -v

and

npm -v

Both should display some version number. If not, either of these are not installed.

Next type:

git --version

This will most likely tell you that you don't have git installed. If you don't have it, I would recomment using homebrew. Install it: http://brew.sh/

If you do have it installed, skip to "git clone" command below.

After that type:

brew

It should show you some help info. If not, brew is not installed correctly.

Next type:

brew install git

Run git --version again to see git is installed.

Next:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/srabouin/backpack.tf-automatic.git

Then:

cd backpack.tf-automatic/
npm install

And finally:

node bot

This ought to work although I haven't really tested it on Mac.

Thanks a million! Just downloading that homebrew thing now. I will follow the intstructions you set and tell you if I encounter any other problems :D

EDIT: Taking ages... 14 minutes remaining

EDIT2: Took a while trying to type to download the files and log into my account but finally set up and it looks like its working! Thanks

Guys please download the latest bot.js and update your script so I can know what the error message actually is (download full package + download bot.js seperately and overwrite it) -- I'm not creating a new version until the bug is fixed

It's not detecting broken session again.

Will loop like this forever:

2014-11-28 02:25:08 - debug: offers: loading inventory: 401

2014-11-28 02:25:10 - warn: [xxx] Failed to download partner inventory: 401, retrying in 5s...

2014-11-28 02:25:15 - debug: offers: loading inventory: 401

2014-11-28 02:25:16 - warn: [xxx] Failed to download partner inventory: 401, retrying in 5s...

Is there any way to save it so you can just open it back up when you exit the tab and it will start running instantly or will I just keep needing to repeat

cd backpack.tf-automatic

npm install

node bot

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't take that much time but it would just be nice to have it instantly pop up ready. Anyone know a way?

(by the way im on Mac and I use terminal)

Thanks!

Is there any way to save it so you can just open it back up when you exit the tab and it will start running instantly or will I just keep needing to repeat

cd backpack.tf-automatic

npm install

node bot

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't take that much time but it would just be nice to have it instantly pop up ready. Anyone know a way?

(by the way im on Mac and I use terminal)

Thanks!

Just wanted to point out, you only need to run

npm install

once, subsequently you can just run the bot immediately.

Regarding your question, perhaps you could create an alias? For example, add and save

alias bot='cd backpack.tf-automatic && node bot'

inside your bash profile, which can be found by running

open ~/.bash_profile

If it doesn't exist, create it by running

touch ~/.bash_profile

This will create an alias, allowing you to type "bot" to start running it quicker

Should be:

alias bot='cd ~/backpack.tf-automatic && node bot'

So the command works from anywhere. (If the folder is in his $HOME).

Perhaps even write a short bash script that can be started from Finder itself :)

Hey guys, I'm really bad at doing anything on this, but I got the trade offer bot to work, and have been using it for a while. It works like a charm, I don't have to constantly refresh, as it tells me when I get one!

Anyway, my friend KiNgSnAkE told me about where it would count the keys for you and such: https://bitbucket.org/srabouin/backpack.tf-automatic/src/6400a2973817eef0b2b975f7343ff2e3820cdcbf/Browser%20Scripts/Chrome%20Extension/manifest.json?at=master, but I do not know how to put this in my extensions for chrome, also with the tradeoffer.js. If someone could explain, that would be great!

Just wanted to point out, you only need to run

npm install

once, subsequently you can just run the bot immediately.

Regarding your question, perhaps you could create an alias? For example, add and save

alias bot='cd backpack.tf-automatic && node bot'

inside your bash profile, which can be found by running

open ~/.bash_profile

If it doesn't exist, create it by running

touch ~/.bash_profile

This will create an alias, allowing you to type "bot" to start running it quicker

Every time I open a new terminal window I it will only work when I type

bot

So is there a way that all I have to type is just 'bot' to start it? It also seems that the alias bot command is just a temporary command just for that terminal window. 

I have also noticed in the bot files backpack.tf-automatic > node_modules > steam-tradeoffers > examples there is a offerbot.js and it looks like the bot can also send offers. Is this something the bot can do that I haven't realised? Or is it a new/up coming feature?

Also just typing npm install just comes up with loads of error messages

Thanks so much for your time guys for your help so far, I really really appreciate it  :)

Hey guys, I'm really bad at doing anything on this, but I got the trade offer bot to work, and have been using it for a while. It works like a charm, I don't have to constantly refresh, as it tells me when I get one!

Anyway, my friend KiNgSnAkE told me about where it would count the keys for you and such: https://bitbucket.org/srabouin/backpack.tf-automatic/src/6400a2973817eef0b2b975f7343ff2e3820cdcbf/Browser%20Scripts/Chrome%20Extension/manifest.json?at=master, but I do not know how to put this in my extensions for chrome, also with the tradeoffer.js. If someone could explain, that would be great!

Check out this script: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/17946-script-steam-trade-offer-enhancer/

It has more features and even Brad likes it :D

Every time I open a new terminal window I it will only work when I type

bot

So is there a way that all I have to type is just 'bot' to start it? It also seems that the alias bot command is just a temporary command just for that terminal window. 

I have also noticed in the bot files backpack.tf-automatic > node_modules > steam-tradeoffers > examples there is a offerbot.js and it looks like the bot can also send offers. Is this something the bot can do that I haven't realised? Or is it a new/up coming feature?

Also just typing npm install just comes up with loads of error messages

Thanks so much for your time guys for your help so far, I really really appreciate it  :)

You skipped the part about saving it into your .bash_profile. Otherwise you will have to type the command each time as you have already noticed.

"offerbot.js" is not really related to this bot, it's an example provided by the library "steam-tradeoffers".

What error messages? You can copy and paste the error text.

Check out this script: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/17946-script-steam-trade-offer-enhancer/

It has more features and even Brad likes it :D

You skipped the part about saving it into your .bash_profile. Otherwise you will have to type the command each time as you have already noticed.

"offerbot.js" is not really related to this bot, it's an example provided by the library "steam-tradeoffers".

What error messages? You can copy and paste the error text.

Thanks, just realised what I did wrong... fixed it and its working now :)

These are the error messages when I just type in npm install into the terminal:

npm ERR! install Couldn't read dependencies

npm ERR! package.json ENOENT, open '/Users/Harry/package.json'

npm ERR! package.json This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.

npm ERR! package.json npm can't find a package.json file in your current directory.

npm ERR! System Darwin 14.0.0

npm ERR! command "node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install"

npm ERR! cwd /Users/Harry

npm ERR! node -v v0.10.33

npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.28

npm ERR! path /Users/Harry/package.json

npm ERR! code ENOPACKAGEJSON

npm ERR! errno 34

npm ERR! 

npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:

npm ERR!     /Users/Harry/npm-debug.log

npm ERR! not ok code 0

You can't just type the command in a random folder and expect it to work :)

npm ERR! install Couldn't read dependencies

npm ERR! package.json ENOENT, open '/Users/Harry/package.json'

These 2 lines tell you that it couldn't find "package.json" file.

di9qv1K.png

I'm having this little problem. Automatic sends out a verbose message stating that each and every offer I receive contains items no longer avaiable and that he's discarding it, but then everything proceeds as normal. Sometimes though I notice that it declines some offers from people who are not banned or marked on SteamRep, I wonder if that happens to anyone else as well...

I forgot to mention I have the latest bot.js that has been posted here, along with the newest version of Automatic

di9qv1K.png

I'm having this little problem. Automatic sends out a verbose message stating that each and every offer I receive contains items no longer avaiable and that he's discarding it, but then everything proceeds as normal. Sometimes though I notice that it declines some offers from people who are not banned or marked on SteamRep, I wonder if that happens to anyone else as well...

I forgot to mention I have the latest bot.js that has been posted here, along with the newest version of Automatic

This is because Steam is having problems, not much that an we done about this without removing this feature.

If you want to hide the messages, change the "level" of your logs to "info" instead of "debug" in settings.json. This also hides a bunch of other stuff which isn't important.

This is because Steam is having problems, not much that an we done about this without removing this feature.

If you want to hide the messages, change the "level" of your logs to "info" instead of "debug" in settings.json. This also hides a bunch of other stuff which isn't important.

And what can you tell me about the declined trades? It just happened again:

5qBw3LQ.png

5qBw3LQ.png

As you can see their ref is grayed out, that means it's unavailable (they traded it to someone else or used it).

As you can see their ref is grayed out, that means it's unavailable (they traded it to someone else or used it).

So Automatic just declines those before they can create that visual bug on Steam where they still appear in the notifications?

Woah, I complained about a feature, am I that dumb?

So Automatic just declines those before they can create that visual bug on Steam where they still appear in the notifications?

Pretty much.

Something like that. Basically, these trade offers can still be declined even though there is no "decline button" directly on the trade offers page. This way the bot gets rid of stuck trade offer notifications.

5qBw3LQ.png

Thats similar to what happened to me last night. Here look, the items were still available but wouldn't accept it. The buyer sent 3 requests but all were declined! The bug messages kept repeating for 2 hours!

http://prntscr.com/5bkfqd

EDIT: I just asked the buyer and he said HE rejected the offers. So it must be a bug when they reject the offer before the bot can accept it or something...