The Dedicated Thread about Phishing

Teeird

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting less phishing attempts now?

• Yes, I am definately getting less attemps.
    • No, it's stayed the same.
    • I'm actually getting MORE phishing attempts.
    • I don't trade, but my friend(s) said they've been getting less.
    • I don't trade, but my friend(s) said they've still been getting hassled by phishers just the same as before.

Around 3 days ago Ive been getting a ton of phishing links somehow

the people don't add me, but somehow they manage to message me directly without me accepting/adding me whatsoever.

Im getting around 7 of these per day, and I dunno how it's happening, but the increase might be linked.

I also have to go to steam in my browser to be rid of the 7 "Unread Chat Message" notifications, which is a pain, but yeah

People can send you messages and trade requests if they join a group you're in, and request to chat without adding to friends.  Even if you don't accept the chat request, they can still talk as if you had.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love phishers. I always tell them I'm selling my backpack for paypal and that I don't mind going first. They're usually on the online client and can't trade, so they freak the fuck out, or just go offline.

I love phishers. I always tell them I'm selling my backpack for paypal and that I don't mind going first. They're usually on the online client and can't trade, so they freak the fuck out, or just go offline.

phishers i don't really mind; i'm more then capable of not clicking a fake like. My concern is over a potential exploit they may have found since 1) Thats much harder to avoid as they can be legitimate (make a real offer on something unusual for unusual) and then use some exploit, 2) Because valve will probably tell you you accepted the trade (even though they used an exploit to do so). 

Never tell your password to anyone.

den 28 februari 2014

22:39 - Bakgrund: Hey

22:39 - Tickster: xboq

22:39 - Tickster: strange.

22:39 - Tickster: JUST FUCKING ACCEPT

22:39 - Tickster: your not important.

22:40 - Tickster had asked to trade with you, but you did not respond in time.

22:40 - Bakgrund: why do you want me to accept it immediately

22:40 - Tickster: ....

22:40 - Tickster: Oh i want to wait next year

22:40 - Tickster: ...

22:40 - Tickster had asked to trade with you, but you did not respond in time.

22:40 - Tickster: Because i want to fucking sell it your moron

22:40 - Tickster is now Offline.

maybe you wasn't too stupid

den 28 februari 2014

23:18 - Bakgrund: Hey

23:17 - DaSloth: trade

23:18 - Bakgrund: what do you want to trade

23:18 - DaSloth: unusal

23:18 - Bakgrund: what of my unusuals

23:18 - DaSloth had asked to trade with you, but you did not respond in time.

23:18 - Call from DaSloth started.

23:18 - Call with DaSloth ended.

23:19 - Call from DaSloth started.

23:19 - Call with DaSloth ended.

23:19 - DaSloth is now Offline.

sheet must be some serious thing going on now

den 28 februari 2014
23:18 - Bakgrund: Hey
23:17 - DaSloth: trade
23:18 - Bakgrund: what do you want to trade
23:18 - DaSloth: unusal
23:18 - Bakgrund: what of my unusuals
23:18 - DaSloth had asked to trade with you, but you did not respond in time.
23:18 - Call from DaSloth started.
23:18 - Call with DaSloth ended.
23:19 - Call from DaSloth started.
23:19 - Call with DaSloth ended.
23:19 - DaSloth is now Offline.

sheet must be some serious thing going on now

voice chats give away your ip (iirc--so you shouldn't voice chat someone you don't know/trust)

voice chats give away your ip (iirc--so you shouldn't voice chat someone you don't know/trust)

yeah i know, but voice chats are peer to peer, right? Of course they can se your ip then but i highly doubt trades are so why would they want to get you accept a trade-request?

yeah i know, but voice chats are peer to peer, right? Of course they can se your ip then but i highly doubt trades are so why would they want to get you accept a trade-request?

I don't think trades give away your ip, its not the same as a voice chat (at least i don't think it shows your ip).

OMG someone I never talked but was in my friends list tried to initiate a voice chat with me, I ALMOST ACCEPTED

and for those traditional "hey I cant trade you add my friend stemacomunnity.com" I simply say "ok I will add him" and report/block

Jesus! Gimme a break, Im a child of divorce

I don't think trades give away your ip, its not the same as a voice chat (at least i don't think it shows your ip).

All trades go through central server so the other guy cannot see your IP address.

Yeah, I've been getting a huge amount of phishing adds. Before I would get like once every 2 weeks but now it's at least 3 times a day, if not more.

I think it's because Outpost crippled the phishers' technique to hijack due to misspell url so they are resorting to Steam chat.

For the love of god people if some motherfucker asks you to download something or enter info don't fucking do it. It's common sense.

I have many people adding me just to give their phishing link. some of my friends have been phished already

I know your account username now. Time to 1337 uber hax0r u.

But in all seriousness, I think they're all different people just like bots on the Steam market. They also probably message you if you're in the same group as them.

Same. 3 in 3 days. In my case compared to some of u guys, I'm lucky to have so little. It's the same story of a steam error. Beware.

I recently (2 days ago) made a post from my activity feed informing phishers that I have been sent numerous links and that I have not and will not fall for a phishing link, it seems they have taken it as a challenge, and I have been sent 6 links in 2 days, I usually get 1 link a week.

Also as a general rule of thumb, phishers will send the same link to everyone, so if you get 2 links that are the same then they are from the same person/bot.

Yup, i've gotten an unusually high amount of phish adds over the past week.

Hell, I was even re-added by one. Im normally incredibly skeptical of adds I get just seconds after I bump. 

Archived