User constantly breaking rules but is never banned

Toad

2 hours ago, M0ckingbird said:

Lol Where the hell did these “Blame Geel” shills come from?

He literally has nothing to do with Team Fortress 2, trading, or any of the .TF sites anymore due to…….reasons that I think any sane individual would walk away from. He’s been gone for almost 2 years now, for sure at least 1 year.

Well this blame geel shill has come here 7 years before you even found out these forums exist

2 hours ago, Cedarium said:

A bit hard to get more report mods when nobody qualified applies, sadly. Only applies in the last year were a user who had little-no activity, a troll app, and a user who had their app declined for inappropriate conduct towards other users (and is now banned from the discord).

I think If someone made an announcement somewhere like on Discord that you need/looking for Report moderators, maybe that would gather some attention and some serious applications.

Not a lot of people know these forums exist, also, can you make an application on Discord? Or Is it just forums.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I feel like a lot of you are not reading what I am saying, I will say it again. The warnings go through frequencies. If there are few frequencies of warnings accumulated in a period of time, the user receives temporary ban, if a user keeps it up and does not stop in a certain period of time, that ban can accumulate to permanent ban which is why I said, some of you want entirety of history, if we do that a lot of you commenting here would be banned from Classified. 

The user which is being questioned in this thread, did not have warnings for a long long time, almost a year. He only just started getting the warnings again. We understand that many of us have other things to do outside of here, so we give leniency in this area of the site. If you all want that frequency to be tightened up going forward as a community, I can go ahead and talk among the report mods.

4 minutes ago, w0lk said:

Well this blame geel shill has come here 7 years before you even found out these forums exist

I think If someone made an announcement somewhere like on Discord that you need/looking for Report moderators, maybe that would gather some attention and some serious applications.

Not a lot of people know these forums exist, also, can you make an application on Discord? Or Is it just forums.

Yeah yeah yeah Geel ruined trading that shit is old. What does he have to do with the current thread or the current .TF staff though?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING lol

1 minute ago, M0ckingbird said:

Yeah yeah yeah Geel ruined trading that shit is old. What does he have to do with the current thread or the current .TF staff though?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING lol

Right, sorry for giving my own opinion on a public forum, mr.top inventory pepe pfp. Now move on and stop responding.

Just now, w0lk said:

Right, sorry for giving my own opinion on a public forum, mr.top inventory pepe pfp. Now move on and stop responding.

Ah yes. My very first forum posts are on this thread. 
I AM THE BACKPACKTF GEEL CONNECTION

59 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

I feel like a lot of you are not reading what I am saying, I will say it again. The warnings go through frequencies. If there are few frequencies of warnings accumulated in a period of time, the user receives temporary ban, if a user keeps it up and does not stop in a certain period of time, that ban can accumulate to permanent ban which is why I said, some of you want entirety of history, if we do that a lot of you commenting here would be banned from Classified. 

The user which is being questioned in this thread, did not have warnings for a long long time, almost a year. He only just started getting the warnings again. We understand that many of us have other things to do outside of here, so we give leniency in this area of the site. If you all want that frequency to be tightened up going forward as a community, I can go ahead and talk among the report mods.

so if bp.tf has a strike system shouldn't users like this already have the max amount of strikes and only be one report away from a perma/temp. The user in question has never gotten either... wonder why 

13 hours ago, MisterBoot said:

OverduePixels seems to be the only report mod doing some work, so give him some slack. 

But we might need some more report mods to get some consitency and some speed with all the bigger issues

My fav response:

https://backpack.tf/issue/61775233f6d3c7528977396b

"I will say though, the reported user is borderline on getting banned though. As a result, this report will be archived. Thank you for your report nonetheless!"

Luckely people can be on the borderline forever and keep sharking. Hmm guns

They deleted the issue to hide it from public scrutiny lol.

1 hour ago, OverduePixels said:

I feel like you are not reading what we're saying but looking through replies it seems to be overwhelmingly yes please actually do something ❤️ how about more transparency with the community on reports as well pweeeease 🥺 genuinely not sure how you expected us to react to the abandoned reports and 1 word responses saying "noted" then closed months later without words 😴

6 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Shush xd

One of my fave emoji reacts for a good reason.

I'm not really involved with trading anymore but I feel like my time was ripped off from reporting people who didn't honor buy orders / buy order line skipping. I think there is a clear lack of information between what the mods know and the rest of us plebs. I was always under the impression that accumulating enough reports resulted in punishment, but unless I'm just smooth brained I think most of us didn't know there was a within frequency thing.*

*Regardless, I am surprised OP's mark isn't banned, but I have been on the receiving end of a report from some salty top tier trader who missed out on an unfortunate event unbeknown to the people in first, and the mods were g's who shut down his bs fast.

1 hour ago, OverduePixels said:

If a user receives this many warnings in a short period of time, tries to escape his buy order prices by blocking people, and shows he is unwilling to change his behavior, i.e., the same buy orders he was reported for are still up (which they are), then fine, "tighten it up." You're lack of addressing my comments about how you are only considering extremes is also concerning as there's a clear middle ground.

But again, I have never seen such leniency given to any other individual on this site which is why several of us are asking his connection to the the mod team. 

3 minutes ago, Toad said:

If a user receives this many warnings in a short period of time and shows he is unwilling to change his behavior, i.e., the same buy orders he was reported for are still up (which they are), then fine, "tighten it up." You're lack of addressing my comments about how you are only considering extremes is also concerning as there's a clear middle ground.

But again, I have never seen such leniency given to any other individual on this site which is why several of us are asking his connection to the the mod team. 

I am in agreement with you about the user, I should have clarified instead of just saying OP's mark.

• Administrators
Just now, Toad said:

But again, I have never seen such leniency given to any other individual on this site which is why several of us are asking his connect you the mod team. 

You yourself has been given that leniency along with many users posting here and the people who use the Classified of the site. Many users report through classified flag system. There is no conspiracy here, I don't know the user at all, the most I know is that he is toxic to people on Steam. I don't know how many times I have to say this, we are very lenient regarding classified warnings like this. Again, I will reiterate it, there is a very long period of gap between his warnings but seeing how many of you want that tightened up, I have no problem going in that direction, I am sure other staff does not either. No one has been given any special treatment, we are just lenient in this area but it looks like you guys want us to be more harsh.

All this really feels like a microcosm of the "Great Resignation" going on right now. The report mods are overworked and understaffed; This is the simple fact. However, they cannot attract new mods, because in all honesty, with how the community treats them, who wants to be one? Have you ever watched a Karen scream at a McDonalds employee because she ordered a cheeseburger without cheese and was given a hamburger instead? And then thought, "Yeah, I'd love to be paid $10 an hour to deal with that?" Of course not. And you certainly wouldn't want to do it for free either. As such, you're left with a division that's running on a skeleton crew or smaller trying their hardest to keep up.

And the problem compounds itself because while trying to tackle the backlog, new issues keep coming in at the same or greater rates, giving them more and more fires to put out and plates to juggle. Something has to give at that point. And the best course of action for the team is to prioritize and triage. Unfortunately, this then means that people get upset because it's not their particular fire being put out. Trying to do otherwise and tackling everything all the time leads to errors and other issues. If someone cleared out and finished all nearly-200 user reports in a single afternoon (and those are just the manual reports, not the classified and trust flag reports), would you feel all those reports were properly researched and given fair verdicts? Probably not. People are human beings who move at human speeds, they can do what they can with what they've got; We can't demand more than that, especially when we're barely paying for their services.

39 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

You yourself has been given that leniency along with many users posting here and the people who use the Classified of the site.

Oh? If I recall correctly, I was personally given temp bans and had my listings removed over individual reports many years ago and even threatened with a perma ban. Maybe my memory is fucked though. The user in question has been warned many, many times for breaking several rules with zero intent to change. All I'm asking for is, where is his temp ban? Why don't you remove his listings like you did to all of us when we were reported?

There is no conspiracy here, I don't know the user at all

This very well may be true but from my observation, it appears something is off here.

most I know is that he is toxic to people on Steam.

So you admit there's something here. And let's be clear, he's toxic specifically to people who are trying to sell him items at his buy order price. Why? Because he doesn't give a shit. He blocks and shit talks people to avoid getting reported. Is this not clear intent he is unwilling to change his behavior? Do we want a user with zero regard to amend his behavior on this site?

Again, I will reiterate it, there is a very long period of gap between his warnings but seeing how many of you want that tightened up

I don't believe there has been a long gap whatsoever. This gap would also be shorter if he stopped Steam blocking us bigger traders/those more familiar with the site because we actually know how to report -- many users on this site report incorrectly as you know. If he unblocked us, you know for a fact you'd be flooded with reports against him. I will also reiterate, "If a user receives this many warnings in a short period of time, tries to escape his buy order prices by blocking people, and shows he is unwilling to change his behavior, i.e., the same buy orders he was reported for are still up (which they are), then fine, "tighten it up.""

No one has been given any special treatment, we are just lenient in this area but it looks like you guys want us to be more harsh.

Not many of us are saying that, we are saying that it appears the mod team is giving special treatment to this user. 

53 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

All this really feels like a microcosm of the "Great Resignation" going on right now. The report mods are overworked and understaffed; This is the simple fact. However, they cannot attract new mods, because in all honesty, with how the community treats them, who wants to be one? Have you ever watched a Karen scream at a McDonalds employee because she ordered a cheeseburger without cheese and was given a hamburger instead? And then thought, "Yeah, I'd love to be paid $10 an hour to deal with that?" Of course not. And you certainly wouldn't want to do it for free either. As such, you're left with a division that's running on a skeleton crew or smaller trying their hardest to keep up.

And the problem compounds itself because while trying to tackle the backlog, new issues keep coming in at the same or greater rates, giving them more and more fires to put out and plates to juggle. Something has to give at that point. And the best course of action for the team is to prioritize and triage. Unfortunately, this then means that people get upset because it's not their particular fire being put out. Trying to do otherwise and tackling everything all the time leads to errors and other issues. If someone cleared out and finished all nearly-200 user reports in a single afternoon (and those are just the manual reports, not the classified and trust flag reports), would you feel all those reports were properly researched and given fair verdicts? Probably not. People are human beings who move at human speeds, they can do what they can with what they've got; We can't demand more than that, especially when we're barely paying for their services.

@Scott Bakula While I somewhat agree on some of your points, allow me to paint a different picture on a few of your points I disagree.

However, they cannot attract new mods, because in all honesty, with how the community treats them,

And the other way around. It seems every so often evidence comes up of admin/mod(s) engaging in questionable behavior. Why would anyone want to be part of potentially corrupt individuals? I'm not saying they are all like this and I'm not claiming any of them are, but it appears to the community that some are and/or have engaged in bad behavior.

And the problem compounds itself because while trying to tackle the backlog, new issues keep coming in at the same or greater rates, giving them more and more fires to put out and plates to juggle.

It's like if we should put "provide evidence and full screenshots before making your report" when you go to report someone because 90% of the backlog are people making claims without evidence. There's likely other ways to cut down on the spam as well. Then again, I'm not sure how active the dev(s) are on this site because of all of the unanswered bugs but we would need them to put that label and spam preventive measures in.

48 minutes ago, Toad said:

This gap would also be shorter if he stopped Steam blocking us bigger traders/those more familiar with the site because we actually know how to report -- many users on this site report incorrectly as you know. If he unblocked us, you know for a fact you'd be flooded with reports against him. I will also reiterate, "If a user receives this many warnings in a short period of time, tries to escape his buy order prices by blocking people, and shows he is unwilling to change his behavior, i.e., the same buy orders he was reported for are still up (which they are), then fine, "tighten it up."

This endogeneity concern you bring up is actually very, very relevant and should not be overlooked by the mods.

I also agree with a lot of @Scott Bakula's points. 3 years ago it seemed that reports were dealt with in good time; I haven't followed much since so I don't know if they lost mods or reports increased, but shitty sitch regardless.

1 hour ago, Toad said:

@Scott Bakula While I somewhat agree on some of your points, allow me to paint a different picture on a few of your points I disagree.

And the other way around. It seems every so often evidence comes up of admin/mod(s) engaging in questionable behavior. Why would anyone want to be part of potentially corrupt individuals? I'm not saying they are all like this and I'm not claiming any of them are, but it appears to the community that some are and/or have engaged in bad behavior.

It's like if we should put "provide evidence and full screenshots before making your report" when you go to report someone because 90% of the backlog are people making claims without evidence. There's likely other ways to cut down on the spam as well. Then again, I'm not sure how active the dev(s) are on this site because of all of the unanswered bugs but we would need them to put that label and spam preventive measures in.

may I have some evidence of mods bad please & thankyou

7 minutes ago, Cedarium said:

Doesn't aj's community callout have at least something? Ik mods together strong and the topic ended up dying down with nothing happening but id assume there were some valid points and/or proof to be brought home from it. Otherwise idk, if there's not much proof, there will always be a little bit of "bp.tf bad" here and there, why else do they call it "bible.tf" 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Doesn't aj's community callout have at least something? Ik mods together strong and the topic ended up dying down with nothing happening but id assume there were some valid points and/or proof to be brought home from it. Otherwise idk, if there's not much proof, there will always be a little bit of "bp.tf bad" here and there, why else do they call it "bible.tf" 🤷‍♂️

I got the impression AJ's issue was basically "marketplace not enforcing their issues" with erik being his example, and mptf ain't bptf.

1 hour ago, Cedarium said:

mm take a look at the 5 forum warning points and multi month ban I got here for literally quoting a ban reason and saying that I might not trust a guy talking about trade topics who has a literal ban for intentionally buying scammed items with bots?

and of course it was applied in <1 hour of post

and the mod who did it was on his friend list

yikes

Couldn't this issue be remedied by having more transparency from the mod team as far as warnings/bans go? Currently the only people officially keeping track of a user's warnings/bans are the mods. Public user punishment history would show the community that the mods are in-fact taking action. Mods are saying that things are being done (which I believe), and some members of the community are saying that people are getting off scot-free. Why not prove that things are being done, instead of having the community speculate?

1 hour ago, LaughingLollipop said:

mm take a look at the 5 forum warning points and multi month ban I got here for literally quoting a ban reason and saying that I might not trust a guy talking about trade topics who has a literal ban for intentionally buying scammed items with bots?

and of course it was applied in <1 hour of post

and the mod who did it was on his friend list

yikes

drop names homie this is now the new community callout post fear no ban

Archived