User constantly breaking rules but is never banned

Toad

I can't believe I have to make a thread on this but this is absolutely ridiculous. This user has completely fucked buy orders for the past year and it appears nothing is being done. If this was any other user, they would have gotten permanently banned by now. Something is sus' here. 

This user started doing this several months ago after he tried to be a carbon-copy of me. He would copy all of my buy orders and place them at extremely high prices but not accept incoming offers. When I confronted him, he threw me some inappropriate messages - he's a pretty nasty guy: 

https://backpack.tf/issue/60180786f8fc8804e3311472

And then for the past several months, he's continued placing these high buy orders, not accepting them, giving people fake -rep, and blocking people. There's been numerous reports against him by other users but he only receives warnings:

https://backpack.tf/issue/60187883e7fff5223923799d

https://backpack.tf/issue/60231fcb10d2a841df65bf15

https://backpack.tf/issue/60d019baa495725b544db3d3

https://backpack.tf/issue/616586f3809f483ddc03afbc

https://backpack.tf/issue/6170acca50e9353f6a1af47e (many people questioning mods decision to keep warning him in this report)

And just this morning, as of 11/1/2021, a user wanting to sell some of his items chatted me up and said the above user in question still isn't accepting correct buy order offers. This user wanting to sell his items is likely to make a report soon -- but we all know what's going to happen, nothing.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of enforcement makes classifieds a minefield

People listing buy orders for not any generic of an item

People not responding for a week

People not taking their own buyouts

It is high time for escalating bans.

Yeah, if you mistype 15 ref instead of keys, sure you get a pass oopsy.

When they list 15 keys, then you send and they add back and offer 13? how bout a week, then a month, then a year?

Don't feel like honoring your sell order? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.

I think the highest I've ever seen is a 1 day classifieds ban, which is frankly a joke and means nothing when they can spam 200 rule breaking orders for a month before that happens

36 minutes ago, awsommv said:

be patient, reports take up to 5-10 years to process

I recently made a few reports and it took them 4 months to process. The mod told me, quote, "Hello, apologies for the delay. The buy order is no longer there since it's been 4 months now." No shit it isn't there anymore, but they still broke the rules. The fuck is this fuckery? Look at this shit: https://backpack.tf/issue/60a266613e98d063334f1acd

More bullshit:

https://backpack.tf/issue/60db3642a5292577976fac3e

https://backpack.tf/issue/60db368e2fe91a259d5921b5

2 minutes ago, Toad said:

I recently made a few reports and it took them 4 months to process. The mod told me, quote, "Hello, apologies for the delay. The buy order is no longer there since it's been 4 months now." No shit it isn't there anymore, but they still broke the rules. The fuck is this fuckery? Look at this shit: https://backpack.tf/issue/60a266613e98d063334f1acd

More bullshit:

https://backpack.tf/issue/60db3642a5292577976fac3e

https://backpack.tf/issue/60db368e2fe91a259d5921b5

lol that's actually funny...
Connor isn't a saviour we want, he is the saviour we need.......

• Administrators

Hiya, we are very very lenient on reports like this and we have mentioned time and time again, we are lenient on Classified report like the ones you linked. If you want stricter rules surrounding this, do not be surprised if you end up catching a ban too. So, think carefully and make sure you guys are okay with going forward with a stricter rules regarding this issue. Do not circle back about catching bans if you want to head into a stricter direction.

15 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

Hiya, we are very very lenient on reports like this and we have mentioned time and time again, we are lenient on Classified report like the ones you linked. If you want stricter rules surrounding this, do not be surprised if you end up catching a ban too. So, think carefully and make sure you guys are okay with going forward with a stricter rules regarding this issue. Do not circle back about catching bans if you want to head into a stricter direction.

This isn't being lenient, this is letting a very specific user do whatever he wants.

You have a user who has been spam reported for months doing shitty things and absolutely nothing is being done about it. I've seen so many users on this site punished for the most little things and I've seen my fair share of unfair perma bans as well -- but here you have one user who is becoming notorious in the community who you are letting slide.

12 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

If you ban the army of bots listing 'new effects only' and 'only if its spelled' trash listings its a small price to pay.

You treat classifieds like a free for all with no consequences and yet then the buy orders get used all the time in price suggestions to invalidate sales/drive decisions on acceptance/rejecting

13 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

If you want stricter rules surrounding this, do not be surprised if you end up catching a ban too. 

Why is this a deterrent for asking for harsher penalties for repeat offenders? I genuinely don't understand where this is coming from.

15 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

If you want stricter rules surrounding this, do not be surprised if you end up catching a ban too.

Pretty sure the majority of people here wouldn't care so long as things are actually done. 

+1 for stricter classified rules.  

19 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

all we ask is for users who committed multiple offenses to be given attention to the people that run the site, we arent asking for stricter rules, just the people who commit such offenses to be actually taken care of. The tf2 economy is supposed to be a free economy rather than rules solely based on mod ego, so maybe listen to the community about this

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Toad said:

This isn't being lenient, this is letting a very specific user do whatever he wants.

You have a user who has been spam reported for months doing shitty things and absolutely nothing is being done about it. I've seen so many users on this site punished for the most little things and I've seen my fair share of unfair perma bans as well -- but here you have one user who is becoming notorious in the community who you are letting slide.

Again, we are very lenient on reports regarding this issue, one of the links you provided is for a negative trust. Then the user had a huge gap when it comes to receiving warnings regarding their classified listing, almost a year gap and recently just started getting reported again regarding their listings.

So even though the user has already had a long history of not honoring their trade listings, because there is a gap in between there's nothing that can be done? Great.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

So even though the user has already had a long history of not honoring their trade listings, because there is a gap in between there's nothing that can be done? Great.

If we take entirety of warning history, many would constantly be banned or worse, permanently banned, including Toad himself. I am genuinely saying it for the good for you all that if frequency is not taken into account, many would be here showing concern how we are constantly banning or permanently banned users "little things". Toad already bought up how we ban for little things and unfair bans and that didn't take multiple comments of me posting.

19 minutes ago, OverduePixels said:

If we take entirety of warning history, many would constantly be banned or worse, permanently banned, including Toad himself. I am genuinely saying it for the good for you all that if frequency is not taken into account, many would be here showing concern how we are constantly banning or permanently banned users "little things". Toad already bought up how we ban for little things and unfair bans and that didn't take multiple comments of me posting.

The last confirmed report against me was what, 3-4 years ago for mistakenly trading with a scammer? And here you have this user breaking buy orders for months, with months of reports. He blocks people and talks shit to them afterwards. I'm actually insulted you lumped me in with an asshole who doesn't give a shit about your rules. 

Time frame matters if a rule is broken rarely and considering the users intent. It's so clear this user doesn't give a shit -- ffs, look at the number of reports in the last few months alone. Look at the same buy orders he's been reported for - he doesn't change the buy orders because he doesn't give a shit. And the fact that none of his buy orders have been removed or that the fact he hasn't even been given a temp ban shows me the mod team doesn't give a shit either or are giving special treatment. I hate to be so blunt but this is so clear cut to me.

4 minutes ago, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

Think of it as getting written up at a job. Typically, disciplination goes Coaching -> Written warning -> Final Written Warning -> Termination. If somebody does something severe to go to documented warnings (or after multiple coachings, needs to be escalated), then it is on their record and future disciplinary actions will start at a higher level. However, people are given a chance to improve themselves and correct their behavior, so the reports expire after so long (typically 1 year for most jobs). Think about it, would you like to be denied a raise or promotion because of a series of attendance issues you had 3 years ago?

That being said however, If a person is pushing policy to the limits, then yes, the punishment should be starting out a little more severe than a complete blank slate, but if they are truly at that point or not is more at the mod's discretion.

6 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

Think of it as getting written up at a job. Typically, disciplination goes Coaching -> Written warning -> Final Written Warning -> Termination. If somebody does something severe to go to documented warnings (or after multiple coachings, needs to be escalated), then it is on their record and future disciplinary actions will start at a higher level. 

Analogy doesn't even work here though because the dude is a repeat offender who would already be past that termination stage as shown by those staggering amount of reports. So what if he takes like a nine month hiatus or whatever, he is legit doing the exact same thing as he was previously lmfao

I mean @OverduePixels people are prolly way more lenient to agree with this particular post because somehow the reporting section of the site is run worse than the suggesting section anyway, regardless if this particular post is an actual issue the report mod team should address or not, basically just like summer of 2020, the need to do something to improve the reporting section is long overdue. Anyway, why I think that the leniency to agree with this post comes from that is cause I definitely agree with this:

1 hour ago, OverduePixels said:

I am genuinely saying it for the good for you all that if frequency is not taken into account, many would be here showing concern how we are constantly banning or permanently banned users "little things".

when you make a habit of not enforcing the rules; like, direct, simple rules

people don't tend to follow them or care if they're breaking the rules

this is totally shocking and unrelated though?

From a legislative perspective you don't apply new law to the past. Now here we already have the rule and its just not enforced at all, but the same concept stands.

It should be quite simple to materially change the enforcement; start everyone on tier 1 punishment and go from there.

If infractions continue and users reach past tier 3/4/whatever and get banned they had the same chance as everyone else.

I suspect a good majority of persons with many prior infractions would change their behavior in the face of actual enforcement of the classifieds rules.

Archived