The key price thread

base64

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keys Go Up Or Down? Would They Help The Economy If They Are Higher?

• Up / Yes
    • Down / No

Valve won't make ToDs craftable, because they are one of the main moneymakers from the store...

'The problem is: buyers USE backpack.tf prices like they are the set prices.

And even if 80% of people refuse to pay these prices, the other 20% will follow that ^. And then those 20% are used to raise the price further.

The problem is both the site and the people. And the only way I can think of to fix this is a sink for refined.'

We need some sort of global boycott on buying keys, but that won't happen.

• Administrators

Valve won't make ToDs craftable, because they are one of the main moneymakers from the store...

'The problem is: buyers USE backpack.tf prices like they are the set prices.

And even if 80% of people refuse to pay these prices, the other 20% will follow that ^. And then those 20% are used to raise the price further.

The problem is both the site and the people. And the only way I can think of to fix this is a sink for refined.'

We need some sort of global boycott on buying keys, but that won't happen.

When I suggest key price I use full/close to 1 day. I show both individual sales as well as buyers, so that both side of the market are shown.

If the site was more of a problem this wouldn't occur at all.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/53f06e3b4cd7b8bd438b495e

I won't deny that backpack does not have any part on this at all. It definitely does. Refer to here :

perhaps there's something we should finally agree on.  bp.tf pricing does have (and always has had) an effect on key pricing.  i've heard it all before (and unlike many recent posters i've read every single post in this thread) so please don't bother to rehash year old arguments that dismiss the feedback loop.

bp.tf is a trend driver, but not a trend setter.

i don't see why this should even be considered a bad thing, frankly.  it's just a thing.  one of many things that effect pricing in the economy.

Backpack have no power of setting the price at all. It is entirely up to the community. Even if there was no site like this, price would go up regardless, who knows perhaps even faster.

You can't deny the fact that with so much metal in circulation and little demand for it compared to keys, key would go up, even there was no such site like this.

The bigger problem at the moment is with refined metal and this is nicely explained on this guide which I have been saying for quite a while now. Thanks to Kitty for elaboration  :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=344497200

So yes, keys will continue to go up in metal until as much as buyers are willing to pay or when it reaches its peak and I don't know where that price is or will be.

Valve has the most power to step in here but I don't know if they will step in or not. We will just have to see but until then we as a community have to work something out or let key price in metal reach its peak and then stabilize.

-snip- perhaps there's something we should finally agree on.  bp.tf pricing does have (and always has had) an effect on key pricing.  i've heard it all before (and unlike many recent posters i've read every single post in this thread) so please don't bother to rehash year old arguments that dismiss the feedback loop.

bp.tf is a trend driver, but not a trend setter.

i don't see why this should even be considered a bad thing, frankly.  it's just a thing.  one of many things that effect pricing in the economy.

-snip-

I've always said this yet I was always shot down for it ;-;

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't like how the price is increasing. I don't think many others do, either. Sadly, I think the crash is just inevitable. I don't want it to happen, but because of the demands of 12+ refined on TF2Outpost, It's just... gonna. I wish demands of refined and other things similar to that would increase (I'm like a lower-class player when it comes to the TF2 Economy, so I'm always trying to get as much ref as possible). Unusuals will become... usual. Stranges... not so strange. Everything will be worthless.

Sadly, I think the crash is just inevitable.

i was told it was inevitable at 4 ref.  then at 6.  then definitely at 8.  10 for sure.  is 12 now the magic number of doom.

personally, i find it pretty insane that people actually support buying keys at 12 refined, i've still yet to exchange metal for keys or vice versa in 2 years of trading - i simply don't agree in the exchange rate and never did.

but if the buyers are buying, that's the not really indicative of an impending crash.

(ironically, when the keys "crashed" - i.e. briefly fell in price a few months ago even more people freaked out than when the prices go up)

• Like 1

In my opinion, the price is increasing exponentially, because people who flipping keys with ref want to earn more and more from every transaction. Which is understandable, I think. Back then they were happy with their 1 scrap profit, but now it's pretty much useless. If your profit is 1 scrap per key, you have to swap 108 keys back and forth for a 1 key profit (and there's a chance the price will be even higher by the time you collect 12 ref with this method). It's just a waste of time, really. So we see more and more people going for 1 rec, 2 rec, or even 1 ref profit (which isn't as unusual and laughable as some months ago), and well... they're apparently succesful with that. People will keep buying keys for whatever the current price is, especially these times when metal is falling in value with each passing days. Everyone wants to get rid of their metal asap, so they don't really care... sitting on your metal is the worst idea ever (unless you're hoping for another Bread Box event - then it's just simply risky).

I personally don't care if keys are 7 ref or 12, I just want them to stabilize somewhere. I hate this panic selling thing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Administrators

I personally don't care if keys are 7 ref or 12, I just want them to stabilize somewhere. I hate this panic selling thing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Same here. I wonder when and at what price will keys stabilize in ref price.  :unsure:

Same here. I wonder when and at what price will keys stabilize in ref price.  :unsure:

I call it at 15 ref most likely.

Ref will be 14 cents flat if that happens

I call it at 15 ref most likely.

Ref will be 14 cents flat if that happens

I know for a fact that you can already buy ref for 14 cents.

O.o already?

Jesus....

Yeah.  Unless something changes soon, ref is going to become completely worthless.  It's already almost there.  And you know what?  I don't even think it's bad anymore.  Because fuck idlers.  Seriously.  Fuck them.  I used to worry about the economy suffering due to the average player not being able to save up for a key, but it'll adapt.  It's already adapting anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Unless something changes soon, ref is going to become completely worthless.  It's already almost there.  And you know what?  I don't even think it's bad anymore.  Because fuck idlers.  Seriously.  Fuck them.  I used to worry about the economy suffering due to the average player not being able to save up for a key, but it'll adapt.  It's already adapting anyway.

I've wondered; if ref becomes worthless, what will be used to buy keys besides $$$?

I've wondered; if ref becomes worthless, what will be used to buy keys besides $$$?

there really isn't anything to replace metal in the sense that anyone can get metal for free reliably every week, so my guess is nothing will replace it unless valve makes something new

many people would suggest TOD tickets but those cost money too

I think why people complain about key prices.

Okay so how much the key cost in IRL money does not change but the amount of refined it takes is increasing really really significantly

Some of us don't put a lot of money into games for some reasons and they only use Refineds to buy keys but since keys prices are rising consistently and they are not stopping, this will be challenging to them. My friends are complaining about them non-stop because PayPal traders and people who put a lot of money into keys and game have the advantage

TICKETS

We need a smaller currency for the cheap things out there. For example, how would you set a price tag in ToD for anything worth less than $1? You can't trade "0.25 ToD" for a craft hat, so you either buy 4 at a time or ask for some change... but in what item exactly? By using metal, you can pay the exact price for anything (1 weapon = ~1 cent). It's not the same thing with tickets.

We need a smaller currency for the cheap things out there. For example, how would you set a price tag in ToD for anything worth less than $1? You can't trade "0.25 ToD" for a craft hat, so you either buy 4 at a time or ask for some change... but in what item exactly? By using metal, you can pay the exact price for anything (1 weapon = ~1 cent). It's not the same thing with tickets.

Scrap-Reclaimed-Refined-TODs-Keys-Buds

i didn't realize you could craft tickets from weekly drops...

I didn't realize you could craft keys or buds from weekly drops either...

I know this, but we were talking about things that could replace metal.

My point is theres no reason why a currency needs to be craftable.

Scrap-Reclaimed-Refined-TODs-Keys-Buds

I didn't realize you could craft keys or buds from weekly drops either...

the point is refined is always required.  just because you put ToDs between refined and keys doesn't change anything.  refined is still converted to keys.

I'm just waiting for keys do drop, even the slightest drop and I'm selling mine

If keys are going to drop, I think you will see it coming well in advance.  It will likely be preceded by some kind of metal sink, either in the form of new weapons to craft along with new chemistry sets for strangifiers and collector's weapons and/or something like the bread boxes.  Once you see that happen, there will most likely be a delayed reaction in the market.  Markets often take time to "feel" the impact of major changes.  Eventually, the key to refined ratio will begin to slip.  First it will stall and look like it is stabilizing.  That's when you sell your keys.  Then sit back and watch them drop, and pay attention for signs that it could go back up again.

Anyway, that's how I personally think it would go down.