Unusuals

F  CHARLIE

I have come to believe that the Unusual price suggestion rules have become too restrictive and this has lead to hats being unpriced and better than 80% of all other hats having out of date prices. 

The Unusual price list was meant to be a guide not a truley accurate representation of market value.  I initialy agreed with some of the rules but now we are left in a situation where the community cant use the sheet with any effectiveness because of how many are out of date.

I believe this has hurt 2nd and 3rd gen effects greatly (not to mention Halloween).  If weaker evidence could be used and suggestions accepted more rapidly than it would be a far better situation, even if a hat gets a resuggestion 1 week after the previous one.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have come to believe that the Unusual price suggestion rules have become too restrictive and this has lead to hats being unpriced and better than 80% of all other hats having out of date prices. 

The Unusual price list was meant to be a guide not a truley accurate representation of market value.  I initialy agreed with some of the rules but now we are left in a situation where the community cant use the sheet with any effectiveness because of how many are out of date.

I believe this has hurt 2nd and 3rd gen effects greatly (not to mention Halloween).  If weaker evidence could be used and suggestions accepted more rapidly than it would be a far better situation, even if a hat gets a resuggestion 1 week after the previous one.

The problem is that people view it as a bible. If people would just view it as a guide like its meant to be viewed, then extreme levels of accuracy wouldn't be necessary. BUT people use backpack.tf as fact and if their hat is price at 20 keys and the hat being offered is 19.99 keys, they will demand that .01 key. 

The problem is that people view it as a bible. If people would just view it as a guide like its meant to be viewed, then extreme levels of accuracy wouldn't be necessary. BUT people use backpack.tf as fact and if their hat is price at 20 keys and the hat being offered is 19.99 keys, they will demand that .01 key. 

People viewing it as a bible is less of a problem than what we have now.  If prices were more inclusive than they would be more informative and serve as a better tool for those who refer to it as a bible.

Edit:  Look at all the PC in the update status as an example.

People viewing it as a bible is less of a problem than what we have now.  If prices were more inclusive than they would be more informative and serve as a better tool for those who refer to it as a bible.

Edit:  Look at all the PC in the update status as an example.

I agree, the lack of priced unusuals is a huge problem.

*cough* BRAD! offer prizes/something to people who suggest to encourage them *cough*

BUT, listing inaccurate prices just to be able to price more is a very bad idea. The only saving grace of the bptf unusual price guide is that there is proof to back up prices--making it hard to really argue against bp.tf as a whole (i.e. the importance of proof). If you lower requirements for proof then you'll have worse suggestions (and more suggestions), which will require more mods and more time spent on each suggestion, and mods will also have to make more of a judgement call. Whereas now its mostly proof with a little bit of judgement, if the proof wasn't as good the importance of judgement would increase while the need for proof would decrease. 

Quality is far more important than quantity. 

The solution is for Brad to encourage users to suggest unusual prices (more prizes, extra classifieds, faster bump, premium, whatever) that way there will be more ACCURATELY priced unusuals. 

I agree, the lack of priced unusuals is a huge problem.

*cough* BRAD! offer prizes/something to people who suggest to encourage them *cough*

BUT, listing inaccurate prices just to be able to price more is a very bad idea. The only saving grace of the bptf unusual price guide is that there is proof to back up prices--making it hard to really argue against bp.tf as a whole (i.e. the importance of proof). If you lower requirements for proof then you'll have worse suggestions (and more suggestions), which will require more mods and more time spent on each suggestion, and mods will also have to make more of a judgement call. Whereas now its mostly proof with a little bit of judgement, if the proof wasn't as good the importance of judgement would increase while the need for proof would decrease. 

Quality is far more important than quantity. 

The solution is for Brad to encourage users to suggest unusual prices (more prizes, extra classifieds, faster bump, premium, whatever) that way there will be more ACCURATELY priced unusuals. 

I don't think you can incentivise your way out of this.  It still requires proof of transaction I am not talking about offers setting prices here.

I don't think you can incentivise your way out of this.  It still requires proof of transaction I am not talking about offers setting prices here.

I understand that, but a lot of unusuals, which are unpriced, could easily be priced if someone would just look into them. 

I understand that, but a lot of unusuals, which are unpriced, could easily be priced if someone would just look into them. 

Says the guy who doesn't suggest on Unusuals.

Says the guy who doesn't suggest on Unusuals.

Its still true. I just don't feel like suggesting; plus, I have a reputation to maintain--I haven't really suggested in over a year (with the exception of that brief suggestion spurt like 6 months back).

I'm about to by an unusual reggaelator with circling peace sign effect. It's my dream unusual so I'll never regret getting it. It will never leave my backpack once I get it.

Archived