Unusuals

F  CHARLIE

I want to state that I have growing dislike for unusuals for several reasons.

1. For the vast majority of the 40,000+ unusuals, the buyer loses value as no one would pay what he paid if he wanted to sell it in short period of time. If he wants to trade, most others will want extra to do so. Simply put, you have paid more than anyone else would and have lost in the transaction.

2. When you do want to move ur hat, almost nobody offers pure and a large amount of time, owners just end up going to an unusual quick buyer to get currency which is always better to have than unusual itself anyway. Most other items will not suffer the loss an unusual does.

3. There are many subtleties that effect values which most players are unaware of which create even more opertunity for loss.

4. The unusual trading market is filled scammers/sharks all looking for god tier profit. They will lie and misrepresent everything.

5. Final point, you will get tired of wearing the same look all the time and would like to try different sets just like you do with other cosmetics in the game but because of the above reasons will take a loss to do so.

At the end of it all, the unusual, in many cases, represents regret. I have owned three different ones and

and none of them brought me any gain. I recommend to anyone considering buying an unusual to not do so.

Opinions please. Anyone else regret their unusual choice?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of looking at the people going to quicksells, sharking, getting overpays from buyer.

Be the other person, buy quicksells, maybe not extreme sharking, getting overpays from buyers.

Then you'll enjoy the market.

-EDIT-

That is the two extremes of the unusual market, few people are right at the top (as you get hated a lot) and few are at the bottom (sadly seems like you) 

I would recommend buying quick-sells, then offering your item you got for quick sell on the hat you like as overpay, very common. 

Example: Buys 3 buds hat for 2 buds, offers on hat you like worth 2.5 bud for your 3 bud hat. You now, through simple switching, have made 0.5 off the hat you like. he way you make big profit, is doing this switching. but in a longer more complicated way!

I've bought 5 unusuals now and made profit on 4 of them while losing ~3 keys on the first one and bought and sold. The key is to not lose patience and not buy on impulse. Of course you're gonna lose if you're the one buying on impulse, but not if you're the seller in that scenario...

I dont regret unusuals. They make the best profit. I regret a few unusuals and those are several bud unusuals. 

Half the unusuals that i have bought for keeps have actually gone up. 

If people are buyin for keeps then the lost of profit or value is meaningless to them. 

Trade better.  

Your post is just complaining, really all signs point to "get better at trading, negotiating, and sales."

edit: To add, yes I lost on a few unusuals here and there.  But like regular trading, it was due to inexperience.  A majority of my unusual trading has either been a wash or a profit. 

tiny baby unusuals are nice.

bubbles chief sold at 15 keys

nnb tree sold at bud and 3 keys

I kinda sorta regret buying the scorching beanie and the scorching tree.

At least the tree is 100% clean and looks cool

I've went from ~2 buds in unusuals to 60+ bud unusual since December and I gained each time I sold my unusual for a different one. Even if I quicksell it for 40 pure buds in just one week like Nyan did, I'll still make like 38 bud profit. I can surely say that you are correct but your words can't be applied to everyone.

I'm unique in the sense that I don't really care that I lose out in money every time I buy an unusual. I've owned over a dozen, and lost anywhere from half a bud, to 7 buds upgrading, or downgrading, or just making bad trades. I'm not upset about it at all. Point is, try and be happy with what you get.

-snip-

At the end of it all, the unusual, in many cases, represents regret. I have owned three different ones and

and none of them brought me any gain. I recommend to anyone considering buying an unusual to not do so.

Opinions please. Anyone else regret their unusual choice?

I have also owned 3 different ones. also neither brought me any gain (i sold them all for around 2 keys less than i brought them for) and now i also recommend people considering buying unusuals not to do so and I'm not going to buy any more :o

I have also owned 3 different ones. also neither brought me any gain (i sold them all for around 2 keys less than i brought them for) and now i also recommend people considering buying unusuals not to do so and I'm not going to buy any more :o

says he's poor, has unusual

I never even had one. So I'm poorer

we already established that your backpack is worth 10$ more than mine and probs EVEN more after i gave my mate a strange ullapool caber with gib kills and some other parts for 4 keys

Trade better.  

Your post is just complaining, really all signs point to "get better at trading, negotiating, and sales."

edit: To add, yes I lost on a few unusuals here and there.  But like regular trading, it was due to inexperience.  A majority of my unusual trading has either been a wash or a profit. 

I did not post this for traders actually.  It was posted for eventual buyers who usually end up quickselling for much less than what they paid.  It is good to see how traders look at this type of trading.

BQE, as I have now decided to get into unusual re-trading (not what I did before) I am sure I will be fine at it.  When I started trading in January I had a pack worth $50 after getting scammed.  Since then I have grown my pack to $250 without sharking/scamming and being very decent and fair (check my rep, page 10 I think has the comment I am most proud of).  There is no other item I am really interested in trading in anymore.  I have my first re-trade unusual now and will see how it goes.  I was not complaining, I was voicing the pain that I believe many buyers feel after they buy their unusual.  Lido believes they are all happy :) .  This is not true :( .  Many end up quickselling it and losing.

Crabislav, ur amazing.  Is that one hat worth 60 buds?  if so, what a waste.  The amount of different looks you could have for each class is far better in my opinion.  Some people like one class tho, so...

Baloo, you talk about the one who buys on impulse but in reality, that's how all of us make our profit.  If there is an item I want I just post an offer close to trade price and wait.  The regular buyer doesn't like to wait, we all know how this works.

One thing that does surprise me is that no one here has made a pinned thread for new unusual buyers advising them about the market and what to watch out for and how to shop.  That may be against the agenda of some here but many players trust bp.tf because of its Democratic way of arriving at prices and for its many features designed to help players understand what things are valued at.

In the end it appears to me that the greatest utility in this market goes to the traders when in your own rl it is always best for a greater number of people to have the largest amount of utility that can be accomplished.

I did not post this for traders actually.  It was posted for eventual buyers who usually end up quickselling for much less than what they paid.  It is good to see how traders look at this type of trading.

There's nothing wrong with buyers eventually quickselling for less then they paid for. 

When you quicksell it is for fast keys to either sell for money (those who cash out) and those who want to buy something else but only keys are accepted. 

I have quicksold some stuff

Bought a b flames trib for 10 buds and sold it for 8 buds

And there have been others

And im happy about that pure is much better then waiting for some unusual to sell 

@Charlie, I'm fine with what I have and it perfectly fits 3/4 of my main classes (Medic, Pyro, Demo, looks terrible on soldier though) and I couldn't care less about the look as long as I have swag and I can get shitload of money for a bunhc of pixels, I think you'll have to agree with me here. I'm trying to quit trading and that's why I started buying stranges that I really wnat to play with.

@Charlie, I'm fine with what I have and it perfectly fits 3/4 of my main classes (Medic, Pyro, Demo, looks terrible on soldier though) and I couldn't care less about the look as long as I have swag and I can get shitload of money for a bunhc of pixels, I think you'll have to agree with me here. I'm trying to quit trading and that's why I started buying stranges that I really wnat to play with.

Wanna buy my SF pyro set? well, two stranges.

but it is cheaper than bp.tf prices by a bit.

2 to 60 buds is a v good, but im more curious on how those large value jumps occur

2 to 60 buds is a v good, but im more curious on how those large value jumps occur

Just have to say that I was lucky. I hate sharking new people and I won't even mention scamming.

Wanna buy my SF pyro set? well, two stranges.

but it is cheaper than bp.tf prices by a bit.

I'm not sure, as for Flamethrower, I doubt that'll be any soon but I'm most likely going to get it one day. Gotta get the Axe soon tho.

Archived