"Sharking" Thoughts And Opinions

TheVenomWithin

That's a real shark, with claims that a Genuine Ketche is worth multiple unusuals.

"oh do you have any purple items?"

what a fucking slimeball :angry:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharking to me is when you mislead another player or take advantage of their ignorance or mistakes in order to make a profit. It's morally and ethically wrong and those who practice it should feel ashamed of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, good deals do come and go and those are fine. . There are plenty of traders who either don't care for the whole trading business or are in enough of a hurry to sell cheap(been there done that)

Battering and bargaining is fine too. Low ball's are fine too. Annoying at times but a simple no thank you would suffice for an answer. I love trading with people who understand how  to barter and are willing to. 

But you don't need to take advantage of those people to make a profit, if you were in their shoes you'd want them to be fair to you as well. By all means make your profit  but use discretion and be fair. 

Besides, you'd be surprised how much more worthwhile a long trade relationship can be.

I'll name one amazing trader who's example we can all benefit from following, Naff. Long story short(I mean it. The full story would have been a novel) he and I had a trade arrangement wherein I directed him to a Craft/level 13 collector. By chance he received the craft #13 bongo drums (Named "Bingo Bango Bongo" as I recall.) as part of the deal. (for a single level 13 ein I might add). Both of us were amazed by the deal as you can imagine but after a short discussion he decided to wait before selling it. Give the collector a chance to come retrieve it if he wanted it.
Two days went by and the collector never contacted him to get the item back.  By then I would have put it up for sale myself, because if the trader never came back to ask for it so naturally he never cared for it right?

Wrong.

Naff re-added the collector to be sure and the collector was surprised, he believed the item was gone for good and after Naff gave it back he was so grateful he offered to give Naff a reward 3 times. First being a selection of items valued at 4 keys. Naff declined stating it wasn't necessary and instead was offered adminship on a trade server that the collector helped manage. Again Naff declined stating he would have wanted someone to do the same thing for him. On the third offer of a collection of games Naff accepted and went on his way. A happy ending for all involved without anyone losing out.

If more traders could be like him the TF2 community would be a much happier place.

-snip-

I will not lie, i actually consider this;

I'll buy unusuals that were once scammed off someone (But aren't duped) and give it to the person who was scammed. But i won't be buying off the scammer that's for sure

Archived