"Sharking" Thoughts And Opinions

TheVenomWithin

Essentially it can't be considered a lowball if the person doesn't know what the items are worth to begin with.

And it's hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the victim didn't know, even though it may seem very obvious in many cases that the trade was mind-blowingly stupid and could only take place if the victim didn't know the value of the items, which is one reason I think steamrep doesn't handle sharking reports and doesn't give tags for it.  Even if you do catch a shark misrepresenting the value of items, often times the response from them will be "I didn't know", and "I thought that's really what it was".  And at that point how do you prove they are lying?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a Circling Heart Pirate Bandana for a Disco Beat Down Brigade Helm, guy told me he wanted an unusual brigade helm for it, so i asked him what effects he wanted, and i got him disco. He asked for it, if someone asks for something it's not a shark.

I got a Circling Heart Pirate Bandana for a Disco Beat Down Brigade Helm, guy told me he wanted an unusual brigade helm for it, so i asked him what effects he wanted, and i got him disco. He asked for it, if someone asks for something it's not a shark.

This

Wow guy didn't know value so he got fooled. Doesn't this happen in real life on pawn stars

????????????

I'm sure this happens with many other things, yes.

And it's hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the victim didn't know, even though it may seem very obvious in many cases that the trade was mind-blowingly stupid and could only take place if the victim didn't know the value of the items, which is one reason I think steamrep doesn't handle sharking reports and doesn't give tags for it.  Even if you do catch a shark misrepresenting the value of items, often times the response from them will be "I didn't know", and "I thought that's really what it was".  And at that point how do you prove they are lying?

Didn't Tiensto get a tag for sharking?  

Sorry, I'll reupload it with highlighting.

I understand your point. The word fraud shows up next to shark. But that's not exactly explaining anything.

I think there needs to be a defined amount to identify the difference between sharking and lowballing/"quickbuying", so then this way everyone can be on the same page.

The thing is as pointed very nice in this copy pasta. that the line is draw by the 2 members involved in the trade.

The owner and the buyer are responsible to decide if they want to go through the trade or not.They can advice price checking sites but that in the end has the least significant value the thing that matters on a trade is what the seller thinks for the offer and how bad the buyer wants the deal done.

I had very recently been offered an all class with orb fire for my heart mullet + my searing football helmet. most of you casuals here would have tekkenrun since the all class was 0.4 above the values of my hats but I personally prefer my retired helmet and my heart mullet from an orb fire all class.so the deal didn't succed. I wouldn't even 1:1 the mullet and it is not about the price it never is just the price.we are talking about 2 of the first unusuals ever circulate in tf2 vs an mediocre all class,a younger trader would probably go through with the deal but not me even if bp.tf price my hats at 5 keys both that will only ensure that I will never sell them nothing more or less.

Value is something very different from price.

I am playing as merc(substitute if needed)for a new greek team in the Archimedes cup.

We named the team Shark's tentacles after my suggestion everyone was excited we kept it...I was teaching them map calls game sense and many more stuff for the last month.it was very fun and they seem to be pretty decent they are first on the group with no loses and I didn't had to replace any of them yet.Yea I am a bit proud of them.I just hope all of you chill off a bit with all that nonsense trading is and focus more on the fun part of tf2 witch is the game.Hats are just personal preference.

I dont care if the person I kill will drop a burning tc or nuts knot as long as he drops his weapon so I get the ammo.

both hats look awesome maybe the disco looks even better.

but I know 1st gens blah blah.

I perfectly agree with you and venom in this one.

Is just nonsense... If you can do very good deal in real life, why should this be illegal in TF2 trading? Isn't sharking, no one loses anything. The traders both know what they are trading for.

I'd typed a long response but broke my computer so I'll summarise this now.

In real life, there are laws to prevent this behaviour. To have a valuable item, you either produced it, purchased it or received it as a gift. If you produced then you are assumed to know its value. If you purchased it then it's assumed that you know its value. As for gifting, many countries protect from real-life sharks with various laws. For example, if you want to give someone property, say in a will, then you're allowed to declare that the recipient not receive the property until a certain age (giving time to mature so that the property's not sold for a lollypop). As for raffles, lotteries and other large-value giveaways, minimum age restrictions are allowed to be used.

To say that the real world encourages TF2 sharks is completely false. TF2 sharks argue that they do it in real life but really they exploit Steam's lack of protection. Often they deliberately seek young, vulnerable victims.

Of course, the real reason for the laws that I've mentioned in many countries is simply that people, in general, are not smart initially. An innocent child from a caring environment will naturally assume that a shark means him well. That is why sharks are hated. They seek people who DON'T know what they're trading for but simply accept under the pressure of the moment. "Press accept. Press accept. No one else will ever buy that hat so you better sell it to me quickly before I leave."

That's a real shark, with claims that a Genuine Ketche is worth multiple unusuals.

Archived