"Sharking" Thoughts And Opinions

TheVenomWithin

Fell upon a topic today that was discussing Wayne and our thoughts about him. As a "shark" myself, I decided to input my thoughts and then replied with this:

Nope, sharking is not bad. Obviously means shit coming from me, but there's nothing wrong with sharking. You present items that the "victim" wants, and you get what you want in return. That's how trading is done people. You win and lose some in trades, happens all the time. Essentially "Sharking" is just smart business men making good deals, and that usually results in others getting "jelly" or feeling bad for "victim" who got "sharked". The community sees it as wrong, so no one does it in fear of reputation ruin and getting shat on, which i've had my fair share of. However, there's nothing illegal in doing it, it's just you as a trader making profit in a trade just like every other day. That's how I've always seen it, even before doing my trade with fallen. People seeing it as taking advantage over someone, I see it as making a fair trade if they wanted to accept the items presented. Because really, who prices items in this game? It's all price speculation depending on the items. What do you think we did before backpack.tf came along? or outpost? we traded for what we wanted and didn't care about values. With the making of these sites, this introducted the invention of the word "sharking". It's the "victim's" items. He can do what he wants with it, even if that may be out of ignorance or stupidity. If the person isn't knowledgeable enough to know the value of the item, that's his own damn fault for owning it. He CHOOSES if he wants to take what is presented, even if that may be a "low ball" in the communities eyes. Also, the difference between scamming and sharking is that with sharking the "victim" gets what he actually WANTS. Scamming is completely different as the person doesn't receive what he wants to receive, is lied to, or he gets his items taken away.The difference between me and Wayne is that he covers up his shit in order to not get his precious rep ruined, i'm not ashamed to admit that I "sharked" someone based upon the communities views and opinions.

Excuse my rant, it's just my opinion.

I'm just curious as to what you guys think of sharking in general, if you believe if it's right, wrong, fine, or whatever. Please explain why below.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you.

If both sides are happy, people shouldn't bother with it.

Some people just don't care about items in general.

Once i met a guy and asked if he was selling his unusual, he didn't know much about trading, so i told him it was a rare hat and its was very valuable.

What he replied?

"I don't care for items, you can have it for free."

I think it is 100% morally right, It's the poor fella who got Sharked's fault for not researching the game economy.

Pff copy cat. In seriousness, the buyers fault

Didn't copy seeing as how your thread was about our thoughts on Wayne and him as a person, not sharking in general.

Actually it was thoughts on sharking, with Wayne added for effect.

Please stop spamming threads with your nonsense.

Actually it was thoughts on sharking, with Wayne added for effect.

If that's all it was as you made it out to sound, you wouldn't have changed the entire thread description and title because as the other members put it, you would have gotten banned or at least warned for random accusations. 

I think there needs to be a defined amount to identify the difference between sharking and lowballing/"quickbuying", so then this way everyone can be on the same page.

>outpost

Sharking is only bad to me if the guy lies about what he paid for it, and lying about the value. if they say their item is worth X when it is worth Y, and Y > X, in an attempt to lie, then i'll decapitate them. Vice versa for saying their item is worth Y when it is worth X.

If you are honest about prices and they still wan to give a deal, sure. Not a shark.

If you lie to get a deal, then it's a shark

Done :3 

If that's all it was as you made it out to sound, you wouldn't have changed the entire thread description and title because as the other members put it, you would have gotten banned or at least warned for random accusations.

Sorry sir that doesn't make sense. This will get you banned for accusing me of accusing Wayne

I think there needs to be a defined amount to identify the difference between sharking and lowballing/"quickbuying", so then this way everyone can be on the same page.

As outpost put it, paying 20% or lower of the items price if the person has 200 hours or below. Or, 10% if they have more than that. Which of course makes no fucking sense because fallen the guy I "sharked" had 1.5k tf2 hours, had knowledge of bp.tf and outpost, and of course the fact that I paid 17 buds in items which of course is far more than 20% of the items actual worth, seeing as how my b/o was 50. Anyway, back on topic.

Sorry sir that doesn't make sense. This will get you banned for accusing me of accusing Wayne

You cannot get banned for simply accusing someone, please take your nonsense to the Greatbelow.

top kek. You are a special type of something aren't ya.

I don't like sharkimg as in, they don't know the item is valuable. If the person being "sharked" knows the value of the item they're selling, it's just a good deal.

I'm going to jump the shark here. (lol)

Venom, you got banned for being honest about prices >.> <-- Honesty

*ahem* And someone who has been caught many times for lying about prices is still running free <-- Lying

You ain't the shark, the undisclosed user is, as he has lied about prices. Though I have been banned many a times for calling him out for it, and for warning others 9.9

>outpost

Sharking is only bad to me if the guy lies about what he paid for it, and lying about the value. if they say their item is worth X when it is worth Y, and Y > X, in an attempt to lie, then i'll decapitate them. Vice versa for saying their item is worth Y when it is worth X.

If you are honest about prices and they still wan to give a deal, sure. Not a shark.

If you lie to get a deal, then it's a shark

Done :3 

This.

There will always be winners and losers in every single thing throughout life. There will be some with more, and some with less, that is a product of life and the world we live in. The stock market works like this every single day, so do sporting events, popularity contest, etc. You will always have people who lose and some will win because life isn't fair. It's not sharking if you are making deals that benefit you if the other person accepts what they are receiving in return, even if it is viewed as a loss. Some people put more value into some items than others do, and that's why as long as you are honest about your dealings and the other person is fully aware of the circumstances and agrees to them, it's not sharking. 

He can do what he wants with it, even if that may be out of ignorance or stupidity. If the person isn't knowledgeable enough to know the value of the item, that's his own damn fault for owning it. He CHOOSES if he wants to take what is presented, even if that may be a "low ball" in the communities eyes.

Why would telling someone who is obviously less knowledgeable in trading that "x* has sold for y" when it hasn't, or "x is valued (less than x)". Sharkers take advantage of these people, who probably have little to no experience in trading. Chances are they unboxed the unusual or won it in a giveaway. The moral thing to do would at least link them to a trading site, or tell then they can get way more than they have been offered. Saying it's the traders fault for not knowing the value is absurd, considering they had no way of knowing in the first place. And saying it's his choice is rediculous because at that moment, all he knows about the items he has is what the sharker is telling him, and the trader assumes he knows what he's talking about. Because the trader trusts the sharker. "Why would the guy with all these unusuals and all this rep be lying to me?" - If they even ask that question What's running through their minds are just what neat hats they could get for this unusual they got from a friend giving him a key or this thing he got from a raffle some place. If the trader doesn't care about items all together, that's another story

TDLR: Sharking is wrong, good deals are a bit more right

*x being the item the uneducated trader has

I'm going to jump the shark here. (lol)

Venom, you got banned for being honest about prices >.> <-- Honesty

Sorry if i'm being stupid, but what do you mean about being honest about prices?

Why would telling someone who is obviously less knowledgeable in trading that "x* has sold for y" when it hasn't, or "x is valued (less than x)". Sharkers take advantage of these people, who probably have little to no experience in trading. Chances are they unboxed the unusual or won it in a giveaway.

Honestly in my opinion if you tell someone that x is worth way more than it actually is, that's scamming not sharking. If you tell them that their item is worth less than yours, I see that as scamming as well. Not sharking.

Sorry if i'm being stupid, but what do you mean about being honest about prices?

You didn't lie to get a deal :3

I define lying as convincing the other party to believe something false

If you say nothing you won't be held responsible

if you say the right thing you won't be held responsible

etc etc :3

You also explained it (sorta) in your post above mine lol

Archived