"Sharking" Thoughts And Opinions

TheVenomWithin

>outpost

Sharking is only bad to me if the guy lies about what he paid for it, and lying about the value. if they say their item is worth X when it is worth Y, and Y > X, in an attempt to lie, then i'll decapitate them. Vice versa for saying their item is worth Y when it is worth X.

If you are honest about prices and they still wan to give a deal, sure. Not a shark.

If you lie to get a deal, then it's a shark

Done :3 

Wouldn't that be a scam? Lying, for me, defines scamming, eh?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't that be a scam? Lying, for me, defines scamming, eh?

Yes, therefore it renders the term 'Sharker' useless lol

You didn't lie to get a deal :3

I define lying as convincing the other party to believe something false

If you say nothing you won't be held responsible

if you say the right thing you won't be held responsible

etc etc :3

I flat out told him what my shit was worth, if I had said otherwise, damn right I deserved a ban. But the way I put it if you read throughout the conversation, I wasn't trying to be evil or whatever it appears like. To explain why I said the word generous in that, I suppose that made me look far worse. my true intention of the word was to explain that it was a 1:1 UNPRICED item, and that x amount of what my items are worth vs item that is unpriced is worth more in that regard. Also in the screenshots with retro, I was moreso in a panic and trying to explain to him why I wouldn't get banned after multiple people started adding me to flame me with shit. All the adrenaline of the moment as we had that conversation far after I got the item, not immediatly after like everyone assumes.

I flat out told him what my shit was worth, if I had said otherwise, damn right I deserved a ban. But the way I put it if you read throughout the conversation, I wasn't trying to be evil or whatever it appears like. To explain why I said the word generous in that, I suppose that made me look far worse. my true intention of the word was to explain that it was a 1:1 UNPRICED item, and that x amount of what my items are worth vs item that is unpriced is worth more in that regard. Also in the screenshots with retro, I was moreso in a panic and trying to explain to him why I wouldn't get banned after multiple people started adding me to flame me with shit. All the adrenaline of the moment.

a.k.a you're innocent lol

a.k.a you're innocent lol

I'm not saying i'm innocent, I would just like to point out that the way the entire thing went out I was being flat out honest and truthful the entire time, at the worst what I did was a lowball, or mere price speculation. I didn't lie or cheat or attempt to convince him of anything otherwise. It's true that I did rush him as I told him many times that i had to leave for tennis, which is 100% true if you'd like to ask a few of my buddies on steam. Regardless, what happened happened, and I can't change that now.

If someone is smart enough to get said item, they should be smart enough to know the price

Not entirely true. Someone could have gotten a key from a raffle or something possibly or just decided to unbox for normal cosmetics.

I just think it's sad that newer traders it just feels don't stand a chance if they unbox an unusual because people are really greedy in the trading community.. And with some people if they find out later they got ripped off they prob will quit trading and possibly the game.

Personally I think anything within the 80%+ range is considered a shark unless the user knows otherwise.. It's such a shady area I do agree they need to make a set rule for it and not change it so people know exactly what a shark is and what isn't. Personally if I saw someone unbox a hat I would help them trade and teach them instead of taking advantage of the situation. But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Fixed some grammar. 

Not entirely true. Someone could have gotten a key from a raffle or something possibly or just decided to unbox for normal cosmetics.

I just think it's sad that newer traders it just feels don't stand a chance if they unbox an unusual because people are really greedy in the trading community.. And with some people if they find out later they got ripped off they prob will quit trading and possibly the game.

Personally I think anything within the 80%+ range is considered a shark unless the user knows otherwise.. It's such a shady area I do agree they need to make a set rule for it and not change it so people know exactly what a shark is and what isn't. Personally if I saw someone unbox a hat I would help them trade and teach them instead of taking advantage of the situation. Personally I just think

Good way to put it.

An item named unusual, with a different color than all the other items, listed as exceedingly rare item, different than any other hats, with an effect to it, that similar items sell for a lot of real money in the steam market.

Who could've guessed it is rare?

Good way to put it.

Also I should prob apologize to you a bit as well. When you got that Woodsman I overreacted a bit calling you "Wayne Jr" and stuff like that it was very uncalled for. Honestly you complicated it to much on the trade making some jokes about it and not really taking it seriously it felt like. I do personally feel like you did shark the hat but kinda unknowingly looking back. It seems you were a bit confused and thought you were just getting a "good deal" but everyone else (including myself when it happened) saw it as a shark.

An item named unusual, with a different color than all the other items, listed as exceedingly rare item, different than any other hats, with an effect to it, that similar items sell for a lot of real money in the steam market.

Who could've guessed it is rare?

Do remember:

Normal quality items are worth a ton. Who would've thought that?

Unique items are usually the cheapest, and they aren't that unique.

Also I should prob apologize to you a bit as well. When you got that Woodsman I overreacted a bit calling you "Wayne Jr" and stuff like that it was very uncalled for. Honestly you complicated it to much on the trade making some jokes about it and not really taking it seriously it felt like. I do personally feel like you did shark the hat but kinda unknowingly looking back. It seems you were a bit confused and thought you were just getting a "good deal" but everyone else (including myself when it happened) saw it as a shark.

Honestly at first I was pretty pissed off when people kept adding me to talk bs, So I did make a few sarcastic remarks that were pretty uncalled for.  It's perfectly fine, I deserved some of the shit I got. No hard feelings.

requins-dreamstime-6873594-g.jpg

No explanation, so im naturally going to assume you hate sharks. Care to explain why? Also, that picture is very disturbing...

Do remember:

Normal quality items are worth a ton. Who would've thought that?

Unique items are usually the cheapest, and they aren't that unique.

Well, yes. Of course, there are a lot of exceptions.

But what i meant is, clearly, unusual items are rare. If someone is trying to buy it from you, a simple search in steam market will at least tell you it is worth at least something.

I know, this does not happens frequently nor justify anything, and it also wouldn't help in all cases, but it surely is a start.

I have -1 trust because someone reported me for attempting to shark...

Report it, it'll get removed. That's what I did.

This.

There will always be winners and losers in every single thing throughout life. There will be some with more, and some with less, that is a product of life and the world we live in. The stock market works like this every single day, so do sporting events, popularity contest, etc. You will always have people who lose and some will win because life isn't fair. It's not sharking if you are making deals that benefit you if the other person accepts what they are receiving in return, even if it is viewed as a loss. Some people put more value into some items than others do, and that's why as long as you are honest about your dealings and the other person is fully aware of the circumstances and agrees to them, it's not sharking. 

Agree entirely, thanks for your input..

Wayne isn't banned though...

I never stated he was, I stated that with the current information he shouldn't be. Quite a few people here think he should.

And as far as I know the facts neither have sharked, unless you use outposts rules which I disagree with

Archived