Effect unbox rate.

F  CHARLIE

We have all seen the dispreportional numbers for all the effects where there are much fewer 1st gen effects than second and even 3rd in some cases. This not true in all cases. If the rates are the same than first genaration effects should be the most common. Everyome, put in your opinion as to why they are not. Right now I assume has altered unbox rates for certain effects.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

Some hats were only available in unusual quality after the 2nd gen effects were introduced. Just look at the newer hats.

Some hats were only available in unusual quality after the 2nd gen effects were introduced. Just look at the newer hats.

Doesn't matter. If rates are the same then the distribution of effects on any given hat will be the same once you get to a certain number of them. 30 blizz to 10 burning doesn't fit any normal model.

Doesn't matter. If rates are the same then the distribution of effects on any given hat will be the same once you get to a certain number of them. 30 blizz to 10 burning doesn't fit any normal model.

You know how crates and effects are related, right?

You know how crates and effects are related, right?

As far as I know that is rumor and still doesn't explain the numbers. Unless you are saying that crates between 25 and say 50ish did not have any 1st gen effects in it.

As far as I know that is rumor and still doesn't explain the numbers. Unless you are saying that crates between 25 and say 50ish did not have any 1st gen effects in it.

Well higher tier effects/hats drop less often then more expensive ones (i.e. burning team captain vs. Burning noir). 

And either 2nd/3rd gen effects have a higher drop percentage than 1st gen, or 1st gen can only be unboxed from old crates. 

It's not that complicated.

#1-#25 = 1st gen effects

#26-#59 (not sure when the summer effects were intruduced exactly) = 2nd gen effects

#60-now = summer effects

Robocrates = robo effects

all crates during halloween = halloween effects

That's why old crates are worth more and more desired by the unboxers.

#1-#25 = 1st gen effects

#26-#59 (not sure when the summer effects were intruduced exactly) = 2nd gen effects

#60-now = summer effects

That's why old crates are worth more and more desired by the unboxes.*

*Well, that and the fact that less are around, and they have older stranges/good paints. 

As for the crate breakdown, No ones actually showed definitive proof of that yet. 

*Well, that and the fact that less are around, and they have older stranges/good paints. 

As for the crate breakdown, No ones actually showed definitive proof of that yet. 

Just look at my unboxing history on my profile (I joined tf2 in the internet in may 2012, before that I was a noob).

Well higher tier effects/hats drop less often then more expensive ones (i.e. burning team captain vs. Burning noir). 

And either 2nd/3rd gen effects have a higher drop percentage than 1st gen, or 1st gen can only be unboxed from old crates.

Not logical for there to be a different unbox rate based on tier/trade value.

#1-#25 = 1st gen effects

#60-now = summer effects

That's why old crates are worth more and more desired by the unboxers.

It was logical for gen 1 effects to be tied to crates earlier than 26 but after that you can't say that gen 1 couldn't be unboxed until recently.

It was logical for gen 1 effects to be tied to crates earlier than 26 but after that you can't say that gen 1 couldn't be unboxed until recently.

Yes gen 1 can be unboxed here and now?

Not logical for there to be a different unbox rate based on tier/trade value.

the explain why there are more burning Moira then burning team captains.

the explain why there are more burning Moira then burning team captains.

So you assumed unbox rate is effected by trade just because it appeared that way? This is why I made this thread. I have not heard any good reason for the disparity. I have also talked to other, more expierienced traders than I, and it doesn't make sense to them either. So I decided to call on this most capable of communities to discover the answer.

So you assumed unbox rate is effected by trade just because it appeared that way? This is why I made this thread. I have not heard any good reason for the disparity. I have also talked to other, more expierienced traders than I, and it doesn't make sense to them either. So I decided to call on this most capable of communities to discover the answer.

valve could pay attention to the market and see how much hats are usually traded for when compared to others and use that to determine tier drop rates.

valve could pay attention to the market and see how much hats are usually traded for when compared to others and use that to determine tier drop rates.

Having tier drop rates that are designed that way doesn't benefit them nor does it make sense.  If high tier hat/effect combo's drop less frequently then that would be a disincentive to unboxing. 

No because most people don't know about this.

I think you misunderstood.  Since we established that 1st gen effects can be un-boxed along with each consecutive generation than it is logical to say that the 1st gen effects should be the most common as long as all effects and hats have an equal chance of being spawned.

Well lets look at some interesting things:

1.  Hats do not un-box equally,

http://puu.sh/5Dys4.jpg

You can clearly see this point by noting how many Masks of the Shaman are in the game and that they still unbox (see new effects).  Also, the most numerous Robo Hat (the Leadwear) is fairly close to Cold Killer even tho opening the robo crate only guaranteed a robo effect but should have been distributed evenly and therefore we should see many more Cold Killers.

2. Each Generation is less likely to be Un-boxed as we go forward

http://puu.sh/5DBfU.png

I sampled those 5 hats and had a count of 116 effect instances once i filtered out Robo effects and Halloween effects.  A sample size of 116 is effective and the results speak for them selves.

Edit:  When I was counting I did not notice whether it was red or blue aces and count them as one effect.  Sorry.

Archived