Steam OS / Steam box

@@@@@@

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a good feature if it wasnt for steam only supporting like 1% of its game on linux

Seems like its steamos going to support alot of their games by release i bet

Seems like its steamos going to support alot of their games by release i bet

yeah, but by using streaming over your home network. but that isnt actually playing the game. if id like to play with lag and latency issues id just use teamviewer

yeah, but by using streaming over your home network. but that isnt actually playing the game. if id like to play with lag and latency issues id just use teamviewer

True. Hope that the actual os will in the future support atleast the upcoming games and most of the big old titles. 

Only if you want to use steam os, steam will still be on windows/linux/osx.

i dont really know, i mean ive wanted to get a linux partition for a while, and this seems like the OS to do it with....

i dont really know, i mean ive wanted to get a linux partition for a while, and this seems like the OS to do it with....

this is only for movies and games. so not actually for other use.

id use it on a HTPC, but that might be it. in the future if major big titles get linux support then i will upgrade that HTPC to a strong one, stronger than my rendering machine

It's just a modified linux version meant to power up steam...

I'll just set it as dual boot on my comp or something. Will have to wait and see how much better it is performance-wise.

It's just a modified linux version meant to power up steam...

I'll just set it as dual boot on my comp or something. Will have to wait and see how much better it is performance-wise.

I can't imagine any improvement over standard linux :/

The sole purpose is to make big picture better/more complete. 

I do think that the coming about of Steam OS will force AMD to get it's driver game for linux based systems together, hence allowing for much cheaper builds. Linux will be much more competitive due to the massive influx of games that Valve is bringing to Linux, making more developers consider porting their games to Linux as well. 

And in any case, wine works. Hell, System Shock 2 on Steam for mac uses wine to make it playable on mac by default. I don't see why Steam couldn't do that for other games.

what im most exited about is this:

Family Sharing

In the past, sharing Steam games with your family members was hard. Now you can share the games you love with the people you love. Family Sharing allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud.

i can now lend my games to my girlfriend instead of buying a game for her that she maybe plays once or twice.

In all seriousness, I think that SteamOS will put those bastards Microsoft and Apple to shame.

Stop, just please stop. You have no clue what is coming out of your mouth. 

Archived