Gaming Computer.

AwesomeMcCoolName

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was referring to low end of gaming mbs vs. mid-high end (msi g45/g65 vs. g43). 

Ah, then yeah. Normally, in that case, a $50 improvement gets you SLI. Very rarely an improvement with overclocking.

Why is it that very low end motherboards support Crossfire but not SLI, while high end support both? Hmm.

Ah, then yeah. Normally, in that case, a $50 improvement gets you SLI. Very rarely an improvement with overclocking.

Why is it that very low end motherboards support Crossfire but not SLI, while high end support both? Hmm.

What's the difference between crossfire and sli?

Also, as much as I want to future proof it, I have a feeling that by the time I'd be ready to upgrade anything (other than ram) ill probably just get a new computer due to lack of supported upgrades/doesn't pay to spend extra money on something that'll only prolong things a couple years.

What's the difference between crossfire and sli?

Also, as much as I want to future proof it, I have a feeling that by the time I'd be ready to upgrade anything (other than ram) ill probably just get a new computer due to lack of supported upgrades/doesn't pay to spend extra money on something that'll only prolong things a couple years.

SLI lets you run two NVIDIA graphics cards together; CrossfireX lets you run two AMD graphics cards together. It's basically just the AMD equivalent of SLI. 

May I ask why you want the Bolt, anyway? To me it looks like it's likely to tip over, and you're just asking for thermal issues and low upgradeability. Unless space is a concern, I would probably go for something a bit wider :P

SLI lets you run two NVIDIA graphics cards together; CrossfireX lets you run two AMD graphics cards together. It's basically just the AMD equivalent of SLI. 

May I ask why you want the Bolt, anyway? To me it looks like it's likely to tip over, and you're just asking for thermal issues and low upgradeability. Unless space is a concern, I would probably go for something a bit wider :P

Well, i'm going to be in college for the next 4 years (potentially more if i go to grad school/decide to get a dual degree), so space is quite an issue as i have to fly to the school. And the Bolt aside, there really aren't any tower chassis that are the same small size.

As for the thermals, i've read reviews and it supposedly doesn't have any thermal issues (not 100% sure how it is when oc'd). And as for upgradeability, i want to make my system as future proof as possible, but i just get the feeling that if it comes time where i need more power then the computer can give, that i'll probably just end up getting a new system. I mean, the cpu would be upgradeable 1, maybe 2, generations (already at least 2-3 generations old at this point) and then they'll have changed the socket. As for the GPU, i don't see GPUs advancing all that radically in the next 5-6 years, so i could always SLI graphics if i needed. But i just get the feeling that when i would need to upgrade, 6~ years down the road, i'll just end up getting a new computer as at that point it doesn't necessarily pay to upgrade old hardware (depending on how much tech advances by then).

Alternative MicroATX Boards/towers: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811237025 (replacing the psu)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977 

The MicroATX Case shouldn't be too bad to transport, so now its just a question of rationalizing it. 

I was originally planning on getting a PS4 (and not a new computer). Owning a PS4 for 7 years (the life expectancy i would expect before it either dies/something new takes its place) would cost around $2200 (factoring in controllers, games, PSN membership).

Alternatively, the gaming computer i'd get would cost around $1700 ($2100) if i went SLI. 

Build: 

CPU: i5-4670k 

GPU: EVGA 2gb GTX770

RAM: 16gb 1600mhz

MB: Asus Gryphon Z87 (MicroATX)

Case: Antec VSK-3000 

PSU: Corsair TX650W

HDD: 1tb 7200rpm

Cooling: Seidon 120m liquid cooler

So, i'm trying to figure out an estimated life expectancy for it. 

4 Years: i should be able to run almost all games at high-ultra high settings at full resolution. 

7 Years at high-ultra high resolution with OC and SLI graphics. 

8+ Years at mid settings and full resolution with OC and SLI graphics. 

That about right? 

I built my gamer with dual 580s 2500k and can still rock everything new at high to UHigh settings with ease. 

That build is a few years old. Im guessing that in 5 more years I MAY have to tone it done on the settings but still continue to play the latest games with 40-50fps and still have it look fantastic. 

That build as it is, no SLI, I would say would last at least 5 years before you had to upgrade anything or OC while still being at max quality, mid-tier AA/sampling, etc

I built my gamer with dual 580s 2500k and can still rock everything new at high to UHigh settings with ease. 

That build is a few years old. Im guessing that in 5 more years I MAY have to tone it done on the settings but still continue to play the latest games with 40-50fps and still have it look fantastic. 

That build as it is, no SLI, I would say would last at least 5 years before you had to upgrade anything or OC while still being at max quality, mid-tier AA/sampling, etc

I would've guessed that all those time tables would be pushed 2-3 years further. However, games haven't really improved (graphically) all that much in the past 5 years (since the advent of Crysis). So i'm expecting that within the next year or 2 things will take a huge step up, like Crysis did 5 years ago. 

But either way, i should figure i'll get around 10 years of good use (w/ oc and SLI graphics). I should also probably bump that $2100 number up to $23-2400 to cover any potential replacement parts. 

I would've guessed that all those time tables would be pushed 2-3 years further. However, games haven't really improved (graphically) all that much in the past 5 years (since the advent of Crysis). So i'm expecting that within the next year or 2 things will take a huge step up, like Crysis did 5 years ago. 

But either way, i should figure i'll get around 10 years of good use (w/ oc and SLI graphics). I should also probably bump that $2100 number up to $23-2400 to cover any potential replacement parts. 

Those 580s will start bottlenecking you with their small-ish frame buffer pretty soon. I don't know why NVIDIA barely cuts it with their frame buffers. 

Those 580s will start bottlenecking you with their small-ish frame buffer pretty soon. I don't know why NVIDIA barely cuts it with their frame buffers. 

770*

I think he was talking to me. 

There, I think it will be fine considering most games that have come out recently that would push my cards are either games I wont play or awful (game wise, not graphically) unless there is a change in games in the near future I dont think it will be a problem.

Archived