Gaming Computer.

AwesomeMcCoolName

I really need to get this...The only way to get more a decent fps in Bf3 like games is all low settings and a Resolution of 640x480 (50 fps +/-).

Anyone wanna spot me $1500? And a practical way to fly a desktop to and from college :3

didn't u cash out

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't u cash out

Ok...i've got the money, but the problem is first off, i'm going off to college so explaining why i need a gaming computer isn't particularly the easiest argument. Secondly, and more importantly, getting a computer to and from college is quite difficult.

Ok...i've got the money, but the problem is first off, i'm going off to college so explaining why i need a gaming computer isn't particularly the easiest argument. Secondly, and more importantly, getting a computer to and from college is quite difficult.

East argument: "to play games"

East argument: "to play games"

Haha, i guess its more of an argument for myself (rationalizing spending $1500 on a new computer, and dragging it to and from college), as my parents wouldn't have to know, and explaining it wouldn't be all that hard. 

Haha, i guess its more of an argument for myself (rationalizing spending $1500 on a new computer, and dragging it to and from college), as my parents wouldn't have to know, and explaining it wouldn't be all that hard. 

then buy a gaming laptop.

then buy a gaming laptop.

It would be quite a bit more than a comparable desktop, plus with a desktop i can future proof it quite a bit. Although i guess it wouldn't be that much more....$1900 vs. $1700 after you factor in a monitor and keyboard for the desktop (after tax).

I just wish games were often more like tf2, i can easily run that at max settings and get 110 fps.

The laptop i'd end up getting: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/gaminglaptoploadviper.asp?id=851497

My issue with a laptop:

Small screen (most monitors are around 21" vs. 15.6 on a laptop, and 17" is just way to big and too expensive) 

More expensive (albeit not that much more since you don't need to buy a monitor/keyboard/speakers)

Not very future proof (Virtually impossible to upgrade, can't oc)

Poor battery life/cumbersome (not really portable)

The only advantage a laptop would have for me, would be that its easier to get it to and from college. But that aside, i can't really see any extra value in getting a laptop. It would last me what maybe 5-6 years tops, and diminished support for newer games after 3-4? vs a desktop, which i could upgrade the processor, and upgrade/sli graphics.

Get a really small chassis, like the Silverstone SG10. Enough room in there to put in dual GPUs, get a nice OC on the CPU, but its still small enough to fit into a suitcase. 

My issue with a laptop:

Small screen (most monitors are around 21" vs. 15.6 on a laptop, and 17" is just way to big and too expensive) 

More expensive (albeit not that much more since you don't need to buy a monitor/keyboard/speakers)

Not very future proof (Virtually impossible to upgrade, can't oc)

Poor battery life/cumbersome (not really portable)

The only advantage a laptop would have for me, would be that its easier to get it to and from college. But that aside, i can't really see any extra value in getting a laptop. It would last me what maybe 5-6 years tops, and diminished support for newer games after 3-4? vs a desktop, which i could upgrade the processor, and upgrade/sli graphics.

I got a 17.3" laptop from Digital Storm a while back for $1600. It, in terms of specs, is equal with yours. I bought it at Christmas, so they upgraded me to 16GB RAM for FREE! Which is great, although I never use more than 6. 

My GPU (the GTX 670MX) is exactly the same as the 770M, but clocked lower. I overclock it to 735MHz, and, it's still disappointing to be honest. If you want any sort of decent performance, you should get a desktop.

Get a really small chassis, like the Silverstone SG10. Enough room in there to put in dual GPUs, get a nice OC on the CPU, but its still small enough to fit into a suitcase.

Not really a fan of non-tower chassis, The Digital Storm Bolt is an awesome alternative, the problem is i can't get haswell, and can't get sli graphics, but the nice thing is that it should be easily overclockable and quite small.

I got a 17.3" laptop from Digital Storm a while back for $1600. It, in terms of specs, is equal with yours. I bought it at Christmas, so they upgraded me to 16GB RAM for FREE! Which is great, although I never use more than 6. 

My GPU (the GTX 670MX) is exactly the same as the 770M, but clocked lower. I overclock it to 735MHz, and, it's still disappointing to be honest. If you want any sort of decent performance, you should get a desktop.

Performance-wise, the DIgital Storm Viper is pretty close. 3gb gtx770, i7-4700mq, 16gb 1600mhz ram. The only difference (spec-wise) is 3gb gtx770 vs. 2gb gtx770, i5-4670k vs. i7-4700mq, and 1600mhz ram vs. 1866mhz. So the specs are more or less the same, the biggest difference is that i can't oc the laptop.

it seems you're pretty much going for a monster machine, and of course it will be harder to transport that.  but the silverstone sg10 can fit 2 dualslot cards.

it seems you're pretty much going for a monster machine.

Well, i don't see another choice. I could get a lesser gpu/cpu/mb/ram but that wouldn't really cut back much on space. And from a price point, getting a lesser computer would save me 2-300? Which isn't a huge deal considering that it'll last quite a bit longer. But, the Bolt is quite compact, it just isn't very future proof as it isn't socket 1150.

Still don't really like non-tower chassis :3

Not really a fan of non-tower chassis, The Digital Storm Bolt is an awesome alternative, the problem is i can't get haswell, and can't get sli graphics, but the nice thing is that it should be easily overclockable and quite small.

Performance-wise, the DIgital Storm Viper is pretty close. 3gb gtx770, i7-4700mq, 16gb 1600mhz ram. The only difference (spec-wise) is 3gb gtx770 vs. 2gb gtx770, i5-4670k vs. i7-4700mq, and 1600mhz ram vs. 1866mhz. So the specs are more or less the same, the biggest difference is that i can't oc the laptop.

The GTX 770M cannot even compare with the desktop GTX 770.

The 770M has 3GB VRAM; the 770 has 2GB VRAM.

The 770M has a 192-bit memory bus; the GTX 770 has a 256-bit memory bus

The 770M has 960 CUDA cores; the GTX 770 has 1536 CUDA cores.

That's a huge difference. Not to mention the clock speeds.

The GTX 770M cannot even compare with the desktop GTX 770.

The 770M has 3GB VRAM; the 770 has 2GB VRAM.

The 770M has a 192-bit memory bus; the GTX 770 has a 256-bit memory bus

The 770M has 960 CUDA cores; the GTX 770 has 1536 CUDA cores.

That's a huge difference. Not to mention the clock speeds.

*derp* didn't notice the M. hehe

Either way, i wouldn't get a laptop. 

Well, i don't see another choice. I could get a lesser gpu/cpu/mb/ram but that wouldn't really cut back much on space. And from a price point, getting a lesser computer would save me 2-300? Which isn't a huge deal considering that it'll last quite a bit longer. But, the Bolt is quite compact, it just isn't very future proof as it isn't socket 1150.

Still don't really like non-tower chassis :3

i have an 3570k overclocked 1ghz, aircooled by a low rpm noctura solution

decently cheap motherboard (bought an expensiver one because i need a lot of usb ports)

660 (only thing id change)

define r4.

whole computer goes for like 8k sek which is only 1200 usd.

going to the most basic stuff which actually does its job. i could get away at like 1400 with a 770.

so my really good computer would probably stay really good for atleast 3-5 years with a 770. haswell is basicly shit unless you're on a shit budget so electrical bills matter to you. its no upgrade to previous gen.

i have an 3570k overclocked 1ghz, aircooled by a low rpm noctura solution

decently cheap motherboard (bought an expensiver one because i need a lot of usb ports)

660 (only thing id change)

define r4.

whole computer goes for like 8k sek which is only 1200 usd.

going to the most basic stuff which actually does its job. i could get away at like 1400 with a 770.

so my really good computer would probably stay really good for atleast 3-5 years with a 770. haswell is basicly shit unless you're on a shit budget so electrical bills matter to you. its no upgrade to previous gen.

My reason for wanting Haswell isn't because its better but rather because its using the new socket. Haswell is pretty much on par with ivy but will (probably) have support for future cpus for at least a few years. But then i start to think that by the time i'd be ready to upgrade the cpu Intel will almost undoubtedly have changed the socket anyway....

My reason for wanting Haswell isn't because its better but rather because its using the new socket. Haswell is pretty much on par with ivy but will (probably) have support for future cpus for at least a few years. But then i start to think that by the time i'd be ready to upgrade the cpu Intel will almost undoubtedly have changed the socket anyway....

okay, well i just checked the swedish stores and 3570k and 4570k costs exactly the same. it shouldnt differ the price anyhow

okay, well i just checked the swedish stores and 3570k and 4570k costs exactly the same. it shouldnt differ the price anyhow

Only a little bit since you can get an older mb. Plus the cpu itself is $20 cheaper. (3570k vs. 4670k). But its not a huge difference--$50~ in total. 

It would just be awesome if i could buy the Bolt Case. Virtually the same computer, except its $400 more expensive from Digital Storm. 

bolt case? and idk why people care so much for the things that doesnt matter. like cases, motherboards, ram and fans. they perform the same within a margin of error (2-5% loss from really good components)

bolt case? and idk why people care so much for the things that doesnt matter. like cases, motherboards, ram and fans. they perform the same within a margin of error (2-5% loss from really good components)

Case matters to some people. You don't want your computer to be made of wood.

Motherboard matters because you want one with a good thermal design and decent quality capacitors. It'll burn out in a few years if it doesn't. And a decent power phase design will help with overclocking.

RAM? I'll give you this. If it's at least 1600 MHz, there's no reason to go higher, and it'll run fine. But you do want decent looking RAM, right?

And fans? I disagree. You want to have good looking fans, but you also want them to perform well, and most importantly, be quiet. 

I want the Bolt case simply because of its slim form factor. As for the MB, some are better for oc then others. And Fans are a big issue. You don't want loud fans which do a piss poor job at cooling (and there are plenty that do). As for the Ram its not a huge difference, although Ram sticks that have heatsinks attached are better as they do stay quite a bit cooler. 

I want the Bolt case simply because of its slim form factor. As for the MB, some are better for oc then others. And Fans are a big issue. You don't want loud fans which do a piss poor job at cooling (and there are plenty that do). As for the Ram its not a huge difference, although Ram sticks that have heatsinks attached are better as they do stay quite a bit cooler. 

what i meant with bolt is can you link it. i cant find a link in this thread to it so idk what case it is.

and you can oc just as much on an itx board as on a atx board. if you're trying to squeeze every little mhz from it, then i understand it. but to be honest, maybe 5% of overclockers go so high. no, but fans that sound like an airplane costs like 7$. everything at like 25-100$ sound the same basicly. and ive never seen overheating ram. so i generally dont go for big heatsinks or such. i dont overclock them. i dont see the point.

for colors and looks of everything, if you have it tucket away like beside the desk or even inside a desk or something. it doesnt matter at all. just stupid to pay for it. if you're one that buy computers with side windows and flashing lds and amazing lights etc, then fine. but i dont agree with people about it.

there: most brand motherboards already have that. ive had 9 computers. NOONE has burned/shorted/died on me except for a cap in a power supply which exploded. and 5 of those have been overclocked. 4 of them are still running today. they are all from 8 years to 1 year old. again, if you need ever last mhz you can get. fine. but if you're a hobby overclocker that doesnt max everything then it doesnt really matter when you take a known brand

what i meant with bolt is can you link it. i cant find a link in this thread to it so idk what case it is.

and you can oc just as much on an itx board as on a atx board. if you're trying to squeeze every little mhz from it, then i understand it. but to be honest, maybe 5% of overclockers go so high. no, but fans that sound like an airplane costs like 7$. everything at like 25-100$ sound the same basicly. and ive never seen overheating ram. so i generally dont go for big heatsinks or such. i dont overclock them. i dont see the point.

for colors and looks of everything, if you have it tucket away like beside the desk or even inside a desk or something. it doesnt matter at all. just stupid to pay for it. if you're one that buy computers with side windows and flashing lds and amazing lights etc, then fine. but i dont agree with people about it.

there: most brand motherboards already have that. ive had 9 computers. NOONE has burned/shorted/died on me except for a cap in a power supply which exploded. and 5 of those have been overclocked. 4 of them are still running today. they are all from 8 years to 1 year old. again, if you need ever last mhz you can get. fine. but if you're a hobby overclocker that doesnt max everything then it doesnt really matter when you take a known brand

I think he's referring to the Bolt by Digital Storm, which is, unfortunately, a custom case they made, and I don't think it's possible to get one without buying the whole pre-built system.

Agreed about the whole ram thing, but ram all costs more or less the same. But as for the mb, some are easier to oc then others, and again, it doesn't really affect the price all that much. Low end vs. High end is only $50~ difference. 

I think he's referring to the Bolt by Digital Storm, which is, unfortunately, a custom case they made, and I don't think it's possible to get one without buying the whole pre-built system.

+1

Archived