Gaming Computer.

AwesomeMcCoolName

I havent had to OC in years. I wont be much help there. Derp moment, did the L501x ship with uefi?

Not that I know of.

Current specs:

I7840qm 1.8ghz turbo boost to 3.2ghz.

8gb 1333mhz ram

2gb nvidian g435m

Crucial m4

Sadly 1st gen i7 doesn't support sata 3

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a link?

AFAIK, CPU architecture didnt have any effect on sata rather that the motherboard didn't until later revisions of Socket 1366 boards came with an updated Intel chipset that supported SATA3. Marvel put out a shit sataIII controller but didnt support TRIM and trashed SSDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642

^ Socket 1366 (first gen socket) with 2x SATAIII ports.

Got a link?

AFAIK, CPU architecture didnt have any effect on sata rather that t the motherboard didn't until later revisions of Socket 1366 boards came with an updated Intel chipset that supported SATA3. Marvel put out a shit sataIII controller but didnt support TRIM and trashed SSDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642

^ Socket 1366 (first gen socket) with 2x SATAIII ports.

that's probably why I thought that..... Always associate chip set and processor.

Supposedly DDR4/pci4 are coming out (rumors). So that might be a pretty good reason to hold out. That and the fact that as of now, my computer is still working fine. Also, leaning a bit towards the i5 in order to cut the cost, i don't think it'll affect me too much. 

If DDr4 and PCi4.0 come out this or next year I will upgrade to the latest and greatest and not upgrade again til the next MAJOR revision in computer components.

If DDr4 and PCi4.0 come out this or next year I will upgrade to the latest and greatest and not upgrade again til the next MAJOR revision in computer components.

I still want ddr5....i don't get why they can't put ddr5 in graphics card but not general ram.....Hell, even the PS4 has 8gb ddr5

Any input on disabling turbo boost, and manually oc'g?

looks like you have a laptop of some sort, and then id recommend you never overclock it. the fans in there can barely keep up at stock speeds, the chassi will melt itself with oc.

however if you wonder about desktop computers i can help you with it.

pci 4 wont probably come out for atleast 2-4 years seeing how pci 3 isnt even close to being capped out yet.

ddr4 im unsure about. wouldnt mind it, but wouldnt upgrade to it either.

and awesome: gddr5 and ddr5 is completely different stuff, they dont follow the same standards

looks like you have a laptop of some sort, and then id recommend you never overclock it. the fans in there can barely keep up at stock speeds, the chassi will melt itself with oc.

however if you wonder about desktop computers i can help you with it.

pci 4 wont probably come out for atleast 2-4 years seeing how pci 3 isnt even close to being capped out yet.

ddr4 im unsure about. wouldnt mind it, but wouldnt upgrade to it either.

and awesome: gddr5 and ddr5 is completely different stuff, they dont follow the same standards

O, i understand all of that, but i still want gddr5 Ram....

As for the oc'g, turbo boosting is still technically oc'g. It does cause the cpu to run hotter anyway, so would it really make a difference which oc you use (i.e. manual vs. turbo boost)? 

Technically yes. With overclocking you are running consistently higher instead of the CPU engaging the OC after certain circumstances are met.

@CHristley, I was just stating if both came out in the near future I would upgrade. Not saying that I think they are.

Im with you on the PCI3.0 thing, it hasnt even come close to being maxed thus there is no need for a PCI4.0

Nice PSU.

didn't bother since it doesn't really matter, plus I was to lazy to figure out what I need since I'm most probably not getting a new computer (unfortunately).

A bad/shit quality PSU is all it takes to fry a system. Just FYI.

o, ik, but it's not a critical component that actually needs input. I didn't put a case, monitor, keyboard, or mouse up there either. (added a case later though).

O, i understand all of that, but i still want gddr5 Ram....

As for the oc'g, turbo boosting is still technically oc'g. It does cause the cpu to run hotter anyway, so would it really make a difference which oc you use (i.e. manual vs. turbo boost)? 

turbo boost usually just boosts when it wants/need to. manually oc will go at max for almost all games. my processor loves going to 4.4ghz even when i play cs 1.6, but turbo boost wont boost there because there's no need for it

It could be one of the most critical components in the whole build. I'd say you need 600-650W PSU.

Go here and pick Tier 2 or 1.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

I understand its a critical component. My point being that it really doesn't matter, i.e. input isn't necessary as its about as straight forward as it gets. Don't buy it from some random no-body company. Buy something powerful enough to run everything and more. 

Anyhow, i did pick one just didn't list it: Corsair 650TX

Personal preference is Corsair or Seasonic. Will never use anything but in any builds. Quality stuff there.

Antec is also pretty high up there (usually), and cooler masters have been reliable in the past (for me anyway).

Personal preference is Corsair or Seasonic. Will never use anything but in any builds. Quality stuff there.

XFX and PC Power & Cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to get this...The only way to get more a decent fps in Bf3 like games is all low settings and a Resolution of 640x480 (50 fps +/-).

Anyone wanna spot me $1500? And a practical way to fly a desktop to and from college :3

Archived