Gaming Computer.

AwesomeMcCoolName

Well, i was bored so decided to build a computer for myself.....too bad its not real :(

($240) Processor:  3.4ghz Quad Core i5-4670k Haswell
($430) GPU: EVGA 2gb GTX770
($190) MB: MSI-Z87-GD65
($150) Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (8GB x 2)1866mhz Dual Channel
($60) Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120m 
($65) HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital
($40) Case: NZXT Tempest 210

($90) PSU: Corsair TX650

($130) Monitor: 24" Acer

Keyboard: ??
Mouse: ??

Total: $1265 (before Tax) 

If anyones in a generous mood and wants to be it for me, that would be awesome :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, i was bored so decided to build a computer for myself.....too bad its not real :( 

Processor:  3.5ghz Quad Core i7-4770k Haswell

GPU: Nvidia GTX760 2gb DDR5 (MSI) 

MB: MSI-Z87-GD65

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (8GB x 2)1866mhz Dual Channel 

Cooling: Thermaltake Water2.0 Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm fans

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital

SSD: OCZ 128GB Vertex-4

If anyones in a generous mood and wants to be it for me, that would be awesome :D

I'd want that processor. I only have a 2.4GHz Intel processor D:

I'd want that processor. I only have a 2.4GHz Intel processor D:

I want the whole package....someone buy it for me

Pweez

pcpartpicker.com is your friend

also, do you really need an i7?

edit: or 16gb, or liquid cooling, or a $190 mobo? haha

pcpartpicker.com is your friend

also, do you really need an i7?

edit: or 16gb, or liquid cooling, or a $190 mobo? haha

Overclocking.

As for the 16gb of ram, 8gb isn't that much cheaper to make it worthwhile. Better off skipping straight to 16 and saving the upgrade money. 

and in total assuming i went down to i5/standard cooling/mb, it would be $150~ cheaper. Not really a huge difference. 

Also, the cost isn't the entire issue. Part of the issue is that i'm going to college, need to be able to rationalize a gaming computer. Plus, part of me is also just tempted to get a Digital Storm. Yes, it ends up being quite a bit more, and yes it also ends up with lower specs. But then all the overclocking is done right, and everything is backed up by a warranty--less of a hassle (Also like $600 more unfortunately--but does include a 3 year warranty, plus a bunch of oc'g). 

the 4770K only gives a meagre performance boost over the 3770K, at the expense of a lot more heat. I still think Ivy and Sandy bridge are better for ocing.

Haswell is overrated.

I have the 3930k OCd to 5GHz and the thing is like an arctic fuckin glacier with an H110 Water cooler.

the 4770K only gives a meagre performance boost over the 3770K, at the expense of a lot more heat. I still think Ivy and Sandy bridge are better for ocing.

Except intel has announced they're planning on using the same 1150 socket as haswell, so for future compatibility, going with haswell is the smarter choice. 

i like the idea of having a computer which i can always upgrade in the future, although its probably not that important since technology will change, and by the time i'd need to upgrade it would probably be more feasible to just build a new rig (plus by then intel will have probably changed sockets anyway). 

If you had the money now I would say 680. 

If you were planning on waiting i would say wait until the 800 series is released and get the 770

Edit:

Can I ask why you went with the i7 over an i5? If your entire reason for going with i7 is overclocking then its a waste of money and hardware. i7s are great for compiling, editing and producing multi-media as well as rendering 3D drawings. Do you do any of that? 

If you had the money now I would say 680. 

If you were planning on waiting i would say wait until the 800 series is released and get the 770

Well, i have the money, its just more of a fantasy atm.... i guess

I currently have a Dell XPS 15 (L501X), and it runs decently well. Should be good enough especially since i'm off to college in a couple weeks. But i'm starting to transition away from console gaming to PC gaming. At the moment, i've decided to stick with PC and my PS3, and not get a PS4. So i'm not really sure how much longer my xps 15 will really last me....

Also, think its worth the extra money ($70) to go for a 4gb version or just stick with 2gb. 

Ive worked on those l501x's pretty decent machines for a dell. 

About to upgrade my G50Vt to the G750 series.

Why the decision on not getting ps4?

Ive worked on those l501x's pretty decent machines for a dell. 

About to upgrade my G50Vt to the G750 series.

Why the decision on not getting ps4?

Well i've always been on a console gamer, it wasn't until recently that i really started to play games on my computer. The thing is, computer games tend to be cheaper, plus essentially last forever (no backwards-compatability crap). Plus, pretty much any game i'd get for the PS4 i can get for PC (with a few exceptions, which i can get on PS3). I "decided" to skip the PS4, and switch over to PC gaming since i already had a pretty good gaming laptop, and save the $600~ i would've spent on the PS4 and games. But then i thought about getting a new computer, and the whole saving money isn't really valid anymore. But i'm going to college for CS, and i currently use my computer (in addition to gaming) for photo editing, and might eventually jump over to video editing (not really sure yet). 

Also, i plan on getting the new MBP as soon as it comes out in mid-September for everyday stuff (i.e. internet, school, general use).

I like the L501x the problem is the gpu is on the bleh side (2gb GT435m). It can't run any anti-aliasing, although it can run most games pretty well. Right now, i'm using my 7 year old mbp as my everyday computer, so my xps is more of a sit-at-my desk all day computer rather than a portable laptop (more due to the poor battery life than size/weight). 

P.s. what do you do anyway? 

What do I do for a job?

My title is Jr Systems Admin. But I work in all manners of the infrastructure. Desktop support, server support, networking, purchasing computer components and hardware etc.

Ok, so you do use the i7 for whats its meant for. fair enough.

If you are "going away" to college I assume that means you are going to a dorm? PS4 + a HDMI monitor is what I would do to satisfy my gaming needs and have the laptop be strictly work/school. 

What do I do for a job?

My title is Jr Systems Admin. But I work in all manners of the infrastructure. Desktop support, server support, networking, purchasing computer components and hardware etc.

Ok, so you do use the i7 for whats its meant for. fair enough.

If you are "going away" to college I assume that means you are going to a dorm? PS4 + a HDMI monitor is what I would do to satisfy my gaming needs and have the laptop be strictly work/school. 

Since you've worked with L501X's, any input on overclocking the GPU? i'd also ask about oc'g the cpu, but i'm not so sure thats a great idea since the cpu tends to run hot anyway. 

Well, no matter what i'm going to be getting a new mac or school work/general use. So right now, i'm going to just leave my computer connected to a tv and use it like a desktop. 

You can try Afterburner or PrecisionX but I don't know if A) it'll work or B ) you should even attempt to do so on a laptop.

Ive toyed with Afterburner on my G50Vt and it got WAY to hot for me. Was able to overclock a pair of GTX 8800m in a Sager laptop but they were the MXM cards with a fan per card with new AS5 paste.

You can try Afterburner or PrecisionX but I don't know if A) it'll work or B ) you should even attempt to do so on a laptop.

Yea....i thought about that, but i haven't heard any temperature issues with the gt435m (also haven't looked that hard).

I just ran prime95 and realtemp to see how hot my cpu is actually getting.....

Does Realtemp not register turbo boosted processor speeds because it never actually listed the clock speed above 1.8ghz. 

Also, any idea why 3 of the 4 cores run at about the same temperature, but the 4th runs quite a bit hotter (at least 4-5 degrees hotter under load). 

Realtemp, IIRC, sees the CPUs specs from the manufacturer and what it is listed at, turbo boost is just a feature of the CPU not part of the actual specs, at least thats what I remember reading from Intel's site. 

Try CPU-z to get a real time CPU clock speed.

Could be a number of reasons for the core temp variable

uneven/poor quality paste

uneven pressure on CPU

faulty/"stuck" sensor

You could attempt to replace the GPU and CPU paste to a more quality paste as I assume you havent done so yet. But as long as your overall temp is within normal temps I wouldnt bother. Most of the time breaking into the computer and remove the heatsinks on the GPU/CPU have a screw that has a warranty sticker. 

When I was first running benchs on my system and laptop I did, then Heaven Bench, with HWMonitor and CPU-Z to monitor CPU speed and temps with HWM

I replaced my paste with AS5 on my 9800GTX and Core2Duo and saw 5C drops from stock paste. Just for reference.

So turbo boost is a virtual oc then?

As for replacing the paste, it's not really worthwhile. Plus it's a pain in the ass to gain access to the cpu/gpu (Damnit Dell y u no like apple).... And warranty isn't much of an issue as it runs out in a couple months.

realtemp.png

See if checking or unchecking that box helps with turbo issue. 

Dells are a PITA to open to begin with. The only redeeming factor they have is on their latitude line with the quick HDD access. One screw and done. My G50Vt takes 20 fucking screws to get the hdd out.

EDIT: How I read this it looks as though it is a "virtual" OC, by just upping the top CPU freq based on a number of factors.

Ouch.... L501x is only 1 screw to open the area, and then 4 for the hdd mount. But removing the front panel is fucking annoying as hell.....I really don't get why Dell can't do what apple does and just make the bottom removable.

Archived