Why do people say macs are bad?

The Radiated Banana

Dont think he meant it to be taken as an actual statistic, probably more like "most people who use the net are gamers"

Even if he said that he would be wrong as hell, spontaneously I'd say that "gamers" are a minority of the people who use the internet.

edit: double-ninja'd, wow.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of Desktop Mac's. 95% of the time, you're paying too much for the specs or you get locked out of upgrades (and looking at many of their current baseline models, both are happening at the same time). Laptops/Macbooks might be another story if you value something they offer (light weight, less bulk to carry in a Backpack, whatever)

I'm also not a fan of pre-built PC's and of most PC builders. Paying someone else an unnecessary premium is silly, regardless of PC or Mac. That should be the general take-away from this thread.

I'm not a fan of Desktop Mac's. 95% of the time, you're paying too much for the specs or you get locked out of upgrades (and looking at many of their current baseline models, both are happening at the same time). Laptops/Macbooks might be another story if you value something they offer (light weight, less bulk to carry in a Backpack, whatever)

I'm also not a fan of pre-built PC's and of most PC builders. Paying someone else an unnecessary premium is silly, regardless of PC or Mac. That should be the general take-away from this thread.

The first point is true, specs wise they cost alot more which is why most people who prefer apple os tend to just build a hackintosh. (Build a Pc, runs apple OS) However they are more attractive to some businesses/unis as they tend to last a lot longer than the traditional pc.

In laptop/ultrabook area apple wins flat out, good specs, decent price and godly customer service. Many people who claim "apple is expensive" when talking about their macbooks have not looked at the market lately.

Pr built pcs arn't really fr the tech savvy people, they are more for parents, people who simply want to just buy a Pc plug it in and play.

The dependability aspect is questionable and hard to prove either way, mostly because you wouldn't expect drastically different results between the two. You may not be able to match up specific parts due to how vague apple is with some of their labeling and specs (intel i5 processor with x speed, instead of intel i5 4670k exact model, blah blah hard drive instead of brand + model, etc), but the majority of their parts you could find elsewhere. There's no proof that Apple pays their suppliers or looks to receive stronger binned chips, ram, etc, and I wouldn't assume that they necessarily put together computers better than other companies. Idk, seems like a stretch but I've certainly not looked at any articles or studies comparing the two there.

Macbooks are definitely their strongest offering, have been for quite some time IMO. That's the only thing I would consider getting from them. If it's a desktop user that isn't going to build it themselves, or have a friend assemble it, it probably doesn't matter very much. Might be a 20-25% pc premium vs a 30% apple premium or some insignificant difference

Oh Id love to see the source behind this bullshit

Apologies, I meant to say that most people that use enthusiast-grade hardware and express their opinions on the internet are gamers. Thats my presumption, but now that I think of it, its a really ignorant statement.

Mainly because of the high price & gamers tend to hate on it because a lot of games aren't really compatible with it (this is changing slowly though). It's a very good portable machine, it packs a punch & it's very good for creative purposes. Some laptops with the same processing power, etc as the MacBook are evenly priced. Now, the Mac Desktops however, I believe, are a huge waste of money because you can build a machine just as powerful for a lower price.

Yeh. When it comes to their laptops, not too much difference in price and performance. Their desktops are a WHOLE  'nother universe.

Yeh. When it comes to their laptops, not too much difference in price and performance. Their desktops are a WHOLE  'nother universe.

The 5k iMac changes that though, $2500 for a full (quite powerful) computer with a 5k display for only $2500 vs the only other 5k display, made by Dell and is $2500 on its own. 

The general criticism against macs is actually not so much aimed at macs as it is against the people who buy them, for several reason, some of which are not limited to macs.

For starters, mac hardware, software, and upgrades/repair (service) has been more expensive and less diverse than it is for standard PC users for many years.  This wasn't always the case.  A very long time ago, probably until around the time that 32 bit color displays became widespread and relatively inexpensive, cheap apple macs were in a lot of public schools and homes.  Not so much cheap by today's standards, but very much on the cheap end for computers of the time.

Anyway, the reason why I bring this up is that more knowledgeable people are able to put together computers on their own and for much cheaper, so it is generally thought that people who buy macs just don't know any better.  They're sort of thought of as rich idiots with money to blow.  They're also often stereotyped as clueless hipsters, an image perpetuated by apple's branding and marketing history.  Similar criticism is often leveled at people who buy overpriced alienware machines, though usually minus the hipster label, and also against people who buy pre-built computers in general, though minus the rich label and are just generally thought by detractors to be too clueless or lazy to build their own PC with better hardware in it for about the same price or less.

Criticism actually aimed at the purchasers of these products themselves can quickly be summed up with phrases like "macs suck", "alienware sucks", "dell sucks", etc.  But the actual intent is to shame the people who buy them for the reasons above.

>used by hipsters that think apple is the new coming of jesus christ

>apple is a bad company

>might as well get a goddamn console, since mac has no games, and anyone who thought playstation had no games, need to look at the amount of  games a mac can run

>used by hipsters that think apple is the new coming of jesus christ

>apple is a bad company

>might as well get a goddamn console, since mac has no games, and anyone who thought playstation had no games, need to look at the amount of  games a mac can run

Go back to 4chan. 

As for number 3, what the hell are you on about...not everyone games...hell, most people don't.

Go back to 4chan. 

As for number 3, what the hell are you on about...not everyone games...hell, most people don't.

>by everyone you mean "girls", rite?

>by everyone you mean "girls", rite?

How about the vast majority of internet users. 

44% of internet users play games, now keep in mind a large majority of those are going to be mobile and in-browser type games; i.e. not at all what you're referring to as Macs/iOS devices are just as good as their windows/android counterparts in those types of games. 

How about the vast majority of internet users. 

44% of internet users play games, now keep in mind a large majority of those are going to be mobile and in-browser type games; i.e. not at all what you're referring to as Macs/iOS devices are just as good as their windows/android counterparts in those types of games. 

Well what's the point of owning a computer, if ya ain't gunna play games on it? You might as well just buy that new iPhone 6 and not use it's primary feature, ie calling/texting. At least, to me, computers = gaming, what else can they be used for? And that's sad, not playing vidya games, and it's 2014? Kill yerself.

Well what's the point of owning a computer, if ya ain't gunna play games on it? You might as well just buy that new iPhone 6 and not use it's primary feature, ie calling/texting. At least, to me, computers = gaming, what else can they be used for? And that's sad, not playing vidya games, and it's 2014? Kill yerself.

Like I said, go back to 4chan.

So lets all agree that Macs are good on software and all that and not the best for gaming

Does this mean the thread gets locked

i use a mac, but i know one thing i dont like. their shitty chargers lol. have to replace it more often then i should be.

i use a mac, but i know one thing i dont like. their shitty chargers lol. have to replace it more often then i should be.

and here I am still using the same charger I've had for the past 8 years....well, with my old mac anyway (which I only replaced a year ago), so...7 years of use and it's still perfect. So long as you don't coil it with the built in wrapper-bars (or at least give it a bit of slack first as to avoid and sharp bends) then it won't break. 

and here I am still using the same charger I've had for the past 8 years....well, with my old mac anyway (which I only replaced a year ago), so...7 years of use and it's still perfect. So long as you don't coil it with the built in wrapper-bars (or at least give it a bit of slack first as to avoid and sharp bends) then it won't break. 

maybe im just irresponsible hue.

Archived