Why do people say macs are bad?

The Radiated Banana

1. Not a laptop, or a slim form factor all-in-on pc. 

2. Really? So what....you're running an ARM processor? That sounds powerful.... 

3. Yeah, if you have a machine to cut/form a plastic/metal shell, and then have the ability to create your own custom motherboard....Get fucking real.

5. So tell me, what can you customize on windows that you can't customize on OSX? 

7. Yes, Refer to number 1. 

Get your head out of your ass. 

1. I didn't say that. That's a benefit that I will give Mac. They're smaller.

2. I didn't say I had the same specs. I just said that I was using a custom built PC, so the branding doesn't apply as much

3. ...someone didn't read the edit

5. Well, you can't customize programs that aren't available on OS X, and I didn't mean OS, I meant parts wise. Also, this was number 6.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People that use Windows as it was the first system they used > hate Mac

People that use Mac as it was the first system they used > hates Windows

That's kind of how the majority I know choose their preference for computer systems.

I used windows xp as my first and i have a love hat relationship with both.

Apple:

Laptops: No arguments here macbooks win, great specs, decent price, nice build, god like customer service (It dies free replacement on the spot). Can no longer upgrade ram/hdd cuz they fucken solder on the thing, you can replace and upgrade but at your own risk.

Desktops: About the same, more on the high side but they last a lot longer than custom pcs.

Phones: High price, gets the job done, stable system

Windows/android

Laptop: Generally overpriced if you actually want something decent, more than likely horrible customer service, builds are decent but horrendous compared to macbooks unless you pay an arm and leg. Back when the air came out apple was clearly ahead of the pack and other companies needed to lower their prices to compete, not anymore shit is expensive... Only pros i can think of is windows, but then again you can simply bootcamp on macbook.

Desktop: Custom build to the max, tends to have parts die after a year...etc windows 7

Phones: More customization, system can be buggy and less stable, cheaper

I used windows xp as my first and i have a love hat relationship with both.

Apple:

Laptops: No arguments here macbooks win, great specs, decent price, nice build, god like customer service (It dies free replacement on the spot). Can no longer upgrade ram/hdd cuz they fucken solder on the thing, you can replace and upgrade but at your own risk.

Desktops: About the same, more on the high side but they last a lot longer than custom pcs.

Phones: High price, gets the job done, stable system

Windows/android

Laptop: Generally overpriced if you actually want something decent, more than likely horrible customer service, builds are decent but horrendous compared to macbooks unless you pay an arm and leg. Back when the air came out apple was clearly ahead of the pack and other companies needed to lower their prices to compete, not anymore shit is expensive... Only pros i can think of is windows, but then again you can simply bootcamp on macbook.

Desktop: Custom build to the max, tends to have parts die after a year...etc windows 7

Phones: More customization, system can be buggy and less stable, cheaper

You can still replace the ssd in rMBP, it just needs to be replaced by a proprietary PCIe ssd. 

Apple desktops I see less of a benefit since portability/form factor/design/durability/battery life/etc... isn't as much of a concern.

Custom rigs aren't likely to just "die" on you. Pretty much all components hvae between a 3-10 year warranty (all the parts in my rig have a 3 year warranty--excluding the case, which is 1/2 years, the PSU which is 10 years, and my cpu cooler, which is 2 years). 

Custom rigs aren't likely to just "die" on you. Pretty much all components hvae between a 3-10 year warranty (all the parts in my rig have a 3 year warranty--excluding the case, which is 1/2 years, the PSU which is 10 years, and my cpu cooler, which is 2 years). 

I know, but from experience certain parts start to have issues after a year requiring you to either replace or send it in for warranty where warranty itself is also a bitch.

I had g.skill ares before, lifetime warranty which is a plus except when you have to send in one stick for warranty which takes 3weeks+ and then need to run simulations/render crap with only a stick of ram.

I know, but from experience certain parts start to have issues after a year requiring you to either replace or send it in for warranty where warranty itself is also a bitch.

I had g.skill ares before, lifetime warranty which is a plus except when you have to send in one stick for warranty which takes 3weeks+ and then need to run simulations/render crap with only a stick of ram.

By better components. Also deal with better companies/avoid the companies with shit support (pretty much just Asus and XFX). 

When dealing with Apple or EVGA or Intel or any company you will always have a few bad support moments from time to time. But from my experience, G. Skill tends to be pretty good with their support department, and the fact that RAM rarely ever fails (other than being shorted out or something like that) could also be part of the reasoning behind the bad cs since its a very rare occurrence. Also, youre in Australia....everything takes forever and costs a stupid amount. 

When dealing with Apple or EVGA or Intel or any company you will always have a few bad support moments from time to time. But from my experience, G. Skill tends to be pretty good with their support department, and the fact that RAM rarely ever fails (other than being shorted out or something like that) could also be part of the reasoning behind the bad cs since its a very rare occurrence. Also, youre in Australia....everything takes forever and costs a stupid amount

Agreed, gskill responded fast just took ages for shipping and what not.

Australia, the land where you have high minimum wage but everything costs a lot, everyone hates arabs and companies mark up their prices to stupid amounts yet our consumers still pay.

Everything here legit costs 30-50% more compared to overseas, but the general public are catching on are a growing amount of people are ordering overseas. Our retailers are complaining about it yet refuse to lower prices because the companies got used to being paid horrendously marked up prices for the past decade.

Agreed, gskill responded fast just took ages for shipping and what not.

Australia, the land where you have high minimum wage but everything costs a lot, everyone hates arabs and companies mark up their prices to stupid amounts yet our consumers still pay.

Everything here legit costs 30-50% more compared to overseas, but the general public are catching on are a growing amount of people are ordering overseas. Our retailers are complaining about it yet refuse to lower prices because the companies got used to being paid horrendously marked up prices for the past decade.

I thought the high Australian prices was because of stupidly high taxes -- similar to China, anything that gets imported to China incurs a very high import tax even before selling, and as such everything gets marked up 200-300%. 

Well, I can't say I love or hate Mac, since I use one at school for graphic design work. They are good, but the mouse... is terrible for me (luckily I can use a normal one).

But yeah, is laughable about price.. overpriced as hell.

I love how the number one argument is: "Overpriced as hell", yet there isn't a single cheaper/better alternative linked anywhere..... 

I'm pretty sure Apple could run an entire marketing campaign that consisted simply of pictures of their products with the word "SWAG" written across them, and the exact same people would buy their products, and exactly as often.

They market to hipsters, which are the scum of the earth.

...uhh, in popular opinion, that is.

I love how the number one argument is: "Overpriced as hell", yet there isn't a single cheaper/better alternative linked anywhere..... 

Are you just complaining that no actual links (which is silly, in my opinion), or are you actually saying they aren't overpriced?

That's like saying the sky isn't blue. It's been proven so many times that it's just taken for granted that everyone is already convinced of it. Not even Apple tries to argue with their overpriced-ness, as far as I've ever seen.

I hope you aren't saying they aren't overpriced, because if you are, I won't be able to take anything you say seriously, ever.

Are you just complaining that no actual links (which is silly, in my opinion), or are you actually saying they aren't overpriced?

That's like saying the sky isn't blue. It's been proven so many times that it's just taken for granted that everyone is already convinced of it. Not even Apple tries to argue with their overpriced-ness, as far as I've ever seen.

I hope you aren't saying they aren't overpriced, because if you are, I won't be able to take anything you say seriously, ever.

Okay, so please show me a single ultra book with a low form factor, 7-9 hour battery life, metal construction, PCIe SSD, and 1440p+ resolution for less. I'll wait right here, I won't leave the page. 

I'll give you a bit of a head start, here: 

The competing Dell -- XPS 13 / XPS 15 -- both are about the same price as a macbook. 

Or you could get an Asus Zenbook, which has similar specs, and Asus' renowned horse-shit customer service, also for a similar price. 

Edit: Its now been 25 minutes and still nothing....

Okay, so please show me a single ultra book with a low form factor, 7-9 hour battery life, metal construction, PCIe SSD, and 1440p+ resolution for less. I'll wait right here, I won't leave the page. 

Firstly, who said this was Apple vs. Intel? (Or did you not know that "Ultrabook" is, you know...an Intel trademark?)

I will agree, if you were implying such a thing, that Intel isn't the best thing ever.

Secondly, nope, find it yourself if you want to prove anything. Even Apple fanboys mostly agree that Apples are expensive; if you want to claim otherwise, go find some proof. I won't wait around, however :P

Besides, why would failure, or success, to provide specific proof about only one product prove anything?

You're cherry-picking one specific product (or at least one specific set of things you want in that product) and claiming Apple is the best because no one cares enough to prove you wrong. Is that all you can defend Apple with? Your unsubstantiated claims about one specific subset of their products?

....I think I don't need to explain why I don't take you seriously any longer.

And you know what? Whether Apple has the best or cheapest product that fits your specific description, or not, means nothing to me, and probably means little to the general public. Your description is of a product that doesn't interest me. I recently bought a new desktop, and I looked at Apple prices. They were ridiculous. I got a computer that does everything I want it to do, plus a better video card separately, for ~$600. I couldn't find a single Apple that came close for less than $1,100-1,200. I had similar experiences when I bought my previous desktop, and when I bought my laptop. Apples were double the price, literally.

So I've personally done enough research to realize that the sort of desktops, and the sort of laptops, that interest me are literally twice the price if bought from Apple. The rest of their products could be amazing and selling for $3.50 for all I care, but mid-range gaming desktops and laptops are not even something they do well enough to say they do them at all.

Firstly, who said this was Apple vs. Intel? (Or did you not know that "Ultrabook" is, you know...an Intel trademark?)

I will agree, if you were implying such a thing, that Intel isn't the best thing ever.

Secondly, nope, find it yourself if you want to prove anything. Even Apple fanboys mostly agree that Apples are expensive; if you want to claim otherwise, go find some proof. I won't wait around, however :P

Besides, why would failure, or success, to provide specific proof about only one product prove anything?

You're cherry-picking one specific product (or at least one specific set of things you want in that product) and claiming Apple is the best because no one cares enough to prove you wrong. Is that all you can defend Apple with? Your unsubstantiated claims about one specific subset of their products?

....I think I don't need to explain why I don't take you seriously any longer.

And you know what? Whether Apple has the best or cheapest product that fits your specific description, or not, means nothing to me, and probably means little to the general public. Your description is of a product that doesn't interest me. I recently bought a new desktop, and I looked at Apple prices. They were ridiculous. I got a computer that does everything I want it to do, plus a better video card separately, for ~$600. I couldn't find a single Apple that came close for less than $1,100-1,200. I had similar experiences when I bought my previous desktop, and when I bought my laptop. Apples were double the price, literally.

So I've personally done enough research to realize that the sort of desktops, and the sort of laptops, that interest me are literally twice the price if bought from Apple. The rest of their products could be amazing and selling for $3.50 for all I care, but mid-range gaming desktops and laptops are not even something they do well enough to say they do them at all.

I like how he also doesn't send a link to the specific product he himself is talking about and that he never even reanswered my arguments.

Yeah, you're right, let me just strap my gaming rig onto my back and monitor under my arm everytime I want to go to class. If you're honestly going to compare desktop performance to a laptop then you really do have your head stuffed firmly up your own asshole. 

And I can assure you, there are a lot of people who see the importance of a higher res screen, sturdy build quality, amazing battery life, a PCIE ssd, and excellent customer service. Theres a reason why 1440p monitors sell even though they're more than double the price of 1080p monitors; and why PCIe SSDs sell even though they're usually 50%+ more than sata 3 ssds; and why people buy EVGA ACX 970s over the better Asus Strix 970.

I like how he also doesn't send a link to the specific product he himself is talking about and that he never even reanswered my arguments.

The hell are you on about now...you haven't posted anything here. 

Yeah, you're right, let me just strap my gaming rig onto my back and monitor under my arm everytime I want to go to class. 

If you're honestly going to compare desktop to performance to a laptop then you really do have your head stuffed firmly up your on asshole. 

What?

I did mention that I had bought a desktop and a laptop. Separately. For different things. Because I wouldn't enjoy carrying my desktop around, either.

So how did you come up with "Yeah, you're right, let me just strap my gaming rig onto my back and monitor under my arm everytime I want to go to class." Are you trying to say that you don't want a desktop? That's fine, but I never said you should want one.

And at what point did I compare desktops to laptops, exactly? In my own past shopping, I compared Apple desktops to not-Apple desktops, and I compared Macbooks specifically to non-Apple laptops. Apples lost badly, mostly because of price tags, in both comparisons. That's all I'm trying to get across. You don't have to carry your desktop to class, and I'm not saying that Apple is worse because a Macbook is less powerful than a custom-built desktop, just calm down :P

Mac is not bad at all, it just depends on what you need in a computer and what you like. People who say macs can't be used for games are incorrect, they have the specs for it but not a lot of people develop games on mac due to the small market share compared to windows.

Mac is not bad at all, it just depends on what you need in a computer and what you like. People who say macs can't be used for games are incorrect, they have the specs for it but not a lot of people develop games on mac due to the small market share compared to windows.

Integrated graphics isn't good for much gaming other than Dota/TF2/CSGO. 

@Frisky, just because you don't see the added value of the extra speed of a PCIE ssd, a significantly higher resolution display, a long battery life, or a solid build quality doesn't mean it's overpriced. 

And I can assure you, there are a lot of people who see the importance of a higher res screen, sturdy build quality, amazing battery life, a PCIE ssd, and excellent customer service. Theres a reason why 1440p monitors sell even though they're more than double the price of 1080p monitors; and why PCIe SSDs sell even though they're usually 50%+ more than sata 3 ssds; and why people buy EVGA ACX 970s over the better Asus Strix 970.

Are you saying that Apple is the only company that offers things like higher screen res. and sturdy built quality? Or are you simply saying that Apple's offerings in this department are better for some reason that other companies'?

Either way, please expound. And provide links this time, or I'll just ignore anything you say. :3

Hi everyone.

Just asking what would you rather buy (dont worry OP, this will contribute to the arguement). Not trying to deliver a one sided verdict, just need opinions before I make a conclusion, because you guys are sort of going in circles.

- A Windows ultrabook priced around a Mac's price (and has relatively the same specs as a Mac)

- A Mac

Yeah, you're right, let me just strap my gaming rig onto my back and monitor under my arm everytime I want to go to class. If you're honestly going to compare desktop performance to a laptop then you really do have your head stuffed firmly up your own asshole. 

The hell are you on about now...you haven't posted anything here. 

My alt has

Are you saying that Apple is the only company that offers things like higher screen res. and sturdy built quality? Or are you simply saying that Apple's offerings in this department are better for some reason that other companies'?

Either way, please expound. And provide links this time, or I'll just ignore anything you say. :3

Other companies offer similarly high resolution displays....for SIMILAR pricing. See Dell XPS 15 and Lenovo y50. 

My alt has

And your alt is....

Hi everyone.

Just asking what would you rather buy (dont worry OP, this will contribute to the arguement). Not trying to deliver a one sided verdict, just need opinions before I make a conclusion, because you guys are sort of going in circles.

- A Windows ultrabook priced around a Mac's price (and has relatively the same specs as a Mac)

- A Mac

If you like OSX get a mac; if you prefer windows, get a windows ultrabook. Just keep in mind a spec-to-spec comparison isn't fair as windows is more taxing than OSX; and no windows notebook (that I know of) has a PCIE ssd. 

- A Mac

Depends on what you want it for, doesn't it?

Archived