Why do people say macs are bad?

The Radiated Banana

I think they are pretty fucking overpriced, they basically do the same as a normal computer for double the price.

At least they're well built

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one and that's what I use. I didn't buy it, but if I did buy a computer, I would build a PC. I love the GUI but that's about the only benefit besides the very small risk for viruses. For gaming, it lacks so far behind PCs. I can't upgrade it, stuck with relatively low frames, and can only ever run half if the games I want, simply because devs don't spend the time or money creating games for Macs. Other software is very hard to find, and its hard learning windows at school and trying the same at home.

Ever heard of the Boot Camp feature? You can buy and install a copy of Windows (XP-7 afaik) on your Mac. Runs in DirectX in the Windows function, all games compatible in that function.

They all are? 

Anyway, Lenovo would be my go to non-apple laptop as I've experienced nothing but trouble with Dell and have heard far worse things about Toshiba and HP. 

Toshiba is meh. I owned an old laptop (AMD Turion or sumthin 64 X2) and the cooling SUCKED. I eventually fixed it (thermal paste). As for HP... well... the quality is decent. My own computer is an HP laptop with an AMD A6-5200 and so far, the problems here besides meh build quality is Windows 8.

Okay, so please show me a single ultra book with a low form factor, 7-9 hour battery life, metal construction, PCIe SSD, and 1440p+ resolution for less. I'll wait right here, I won't leave the page. 

The MacBook Air isn't an ultrabook. Either way, guess what if you gotta replace something? You gotta replace THE WHOLE THING (or is that the pro) because you can't even open it.

What purpose does 1440p serve on a 13.3 inch screen? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. (is that right) It's just some more pixels when even 1080p is fine on that tiny screen. Even 1366x768 will do (but then again on an ultrabook, I want my money's worth).

The MacBook Air isn't an ultrabook. Either way, guess what if you gotta replace something? You gotta replace THE WHOLE THING (or is that the pro) because you can't even open it.

What purpose does 1440p serve on a 13.3 inch screen? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. (is that right) It's just some more pixels when even 1080p is fine on that tiny screen. Even 1366x768 will do (but then again on an ultrabook, I want my money's worth).

What can you replaced on a windows computer?...answer: the ram. Thats about the only difference. And I would never buy an air, nor would I ever advice anyone to get an Air. Also, you can open up all macs. 

And, having a 1440p+ screen makes a huge difference. Do you know how amazing it is having the extra screen space? I can't stand using my old 1080p laptop. Not to mention 16:10 is much better than 16:9; I love my 1920x1200p desktop monitor. 

What can you replaced on a windows computer?...answer: the ram. Thats about the only difference. And I would never buy an air, nor would I ever advice anyone to get an Air. Also, you can open up all macs. 

And, having a 1440p+ screen makes a huge difference. Do you know how amazing it is having the extra screen space? I can't stand using my old 1080p laptop. 

Then that's where everything (at least on Windows) becomes tiny (and yes I know how to work around this). 

Also, guess what. If that RAM needs replacing, guess what, you gotta buy a whole new machine (at least on the Pro).

Oh well. The real loser here is Windows 8. 

Then that's where everything (at least on Windows) becomes tiny (and yes I know how to work around this). 

Also, guess what. If that RAM needs replacing, guess what, you gotta buy a whole new machine (at least on the Pro).

Oh well. The real loser here is Windows 8. 

Ram doesn't exactly fail very frequently....theres a reason literally every company that sells ram offers lifetime warranties (hint its very very rare that they fail).

Ram doesn't exactly fail very frequently....theres a reason literally every company that sells ram offers lifetime warranties (hint its very very rare that they fail).

If that RAM needs replacing...

IF that RAM needs...

IF... NEEDS...

Even if there's a low chance, it happens.

IF that RAM needs...

IF... NEEDS...

And if you need to replace the CPU or GPU, which are both FAR more likely to need replacing then you're screwed even on a Dell/Hp/other. You have to be pretty stupid to base a computer purchase on the ability to replace RAM, since the only two "issues" aren't really issues:

1) the RAM goes bad -- theres such a small possibility of this happening, and it usually would happen if there was an issue with the power delivery system--which could easily damage the replacement RAM (and require a brand new computer).

2) You want to get more RAM -- in which case you just get enough to start off -- which isn't hard to do/figure out. 

IF that RAM needs...

IF... NEEDS...

If it needs replacing, blam Obama. Even if you aren't American.

I use a Mac, and I love them as well. They do their job, and seem to last forever.

The only reason that comes to mind is the ability to only play certain games, where PCs can play all of em'. Other than that, I think it's the price. They're fairly overpriced, yes, but they're solid devices. 

THIS

I've had my macbook for over 3 years, never had to replace anything on it. Still runs just as well as it did when it was new.

THIS

I've had my macbook for over 3 years, never had to replace anything on it. Still runs just as well as it did when it was new.

I assume you've had it over 3 years because it cost too much to upgrade?

Jk

IF that RAM needs...

IF... NEEDS...

The ability to replace ram is next to useless, ram almost never dies there is a reason why companies offer lifetime warranties on them. The graphics and cpu are the things which you should be concerned, that breaks you literally have to shell out a few hundred to replace it.

If you are bringing into account warranty apple flat out wins nothing comes close to what they offer. If it dies they replace the whole thing on the spot where as any other company enjoy waiting weeks for it to be repaired/replaced.

The ability to replace ram is next to useless, ram almost never dies there is a reason why companies offer lifetime warranties on them. The graphics and cpu are the things which you should be concerned, that breaks you literally have to shell out a few hundred to replace it.

If you are bringing into account warranty apple flat out wins nothing comes close to what they offer. If it dies they replace the whole thing on the spot where as any other company enjoy waiting weeks for it to be repaired/replaced.

After 4 years of harshly using my Refurbished Macbook Pro, my Motherboard died. The Genius Bar appointment took all of half an hour, and shipping my laptop to and from the repair place in California took all of a single weekend. 

I was expecting to wait at least a week to have my entire motherboard replaced, but it was relatively cheap and lightning fast. 

Apple fucks up sometimes, but all be damned if they aren't splendid at what they get right. 

Mainly because of the high price & gamers tend to hate on it because a lot of games aren't really compatible with it (this is changing slowly though). It's a very good portable machine, it packs a punch & it's very good for creative purposes. Some laptops with the same processing power, etc as the MacBook are evenly priced. Now, the Mac Desktops however, I believe, are a huge waste of money because you can build a machine just as powerful for a lower price.

Mainly because of the high price & gamers tend to hate on it because a lot of games aren't really compatible with it (this is changing slowly though). It's a very good portable machine, it packs a punch & it's very good for creative purposes. Some laptops with the same processing power, etc as the MacBook are evenly priced. Now, the Mac Desktops however, I believe, are a huge waste of money because you can build a machine just as powerful for a lower price.

Not to mention that 90% of active people on the internet are gamers.

Not to mention that 90% of active people on the internet are gamers.

Oh Id love to see the source behind this bullshit

Source?

Oh Id love to see the source behind this bullshit

Dont think he meant it to be taken as an actual statistic, probably more like "most people who use the net are gamers"

Dont think he meant it to be taken as an actual statistic, probably more like "most people who use the net are gamers"

And even then, I seriously doubt thats true (in-browser games / solitaire type games do not count). 

Even still that is still a bullshit statement.

I know more people that have the net for streaming and social media than those that game.

EDIT: Damnit Awesome....ninja'd

Archived