Do people 'choose' to be gay?

Gent♥

Not everything but a person is defined by the choices they make.

Based on your anecdotal experience yes, but i'm assuming you have never done any actually research for yourself.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not by choice, but you're not "born with it"

It's due to your experiences in life, all of the things you have learned and seen.

You of course have no control over any of this, however it isn't genetic.

No one is born a certain way, their experience determines what choices they make. What you are basically saying is that people are born smart. Yes some people are born smart but for most people, you work at becoming smart. Gay people most likely had an experience while they were young which made them choose to become gay instead of straight.

I literally lol'd. Silly statement and then you contradict it

I personally having many gay friends do believe they are born gay but they do have to make a choice on if they accept it or not, as it can be difficult in the current world we live in. Doesnt really matter what other people think though. Discussion is rather pointless there is no end

#1: your lol proved you have no logical response to that and will therefore blindly keep supporting the tripe that has been fed to the sheeple of this day and age #2: Sure some people have developmental issues such as ADHD or ADD. But as a whole, people have the same chances and freedom to carry those chances out. And with this I will bow out of this whole thread.

#1 It's not about me "not having logical response" but about it being really funny. I'm serious - there's no really other response to someone saying "evolution is fake" than "lol". I just can't go and post the thousands of documents and works that prove it - I just think it's extremely obvious.

#2 You came up just with the most questionable "mental disorder", ADHD/ADD*. There are hundreds more mental disorders and I honestly have no idea why you brought freedom here. Let me tell you: someone with schizophrenia or autism won't have the same chances in life than someone who is mentally healthy.

Apart from that, let me tell you again: I'm just saying that our minds are different - let it be sexual orientation, let it be intelligence, or let it be social isolation-ess (talking about autists here.)

No you ain't. People choose to be gay, gays were probably abused as children or had a catastrophic event happen to them and they come to the point in there life to either stay straight or go off the path and become gay.

Here is where you should have been cut off and the discussion should have merely been tossed out the window.

First things first, I'd like to argue the point that, as infants we have (almost) no concept of sexuality, no religion, no whatever the fuck you want to add in. Later on in life for most people, we do indeed sit down with ourselves and decide, "Hey, now's a good time to think about things that will affect us for the rest of our lives." That includes, but is not limited to, Religion, Sexuality, Gender. Some people are born, and live life, the same way as they were in the womb. Male, Female, Christian, Atheist, etc. Some are born one way, and decide later on in life that they want to change. Males will become females, Atheists will see the light and become Christians, Christians will think there's no more hope and will become Atheists. That's a choice they make on their own. Going back to my point earlier, some people are so affected by their surroundings that they think if they do anything out of line, they're to be punished, making them be or do one thing without a choice.

I lived what some may call a "privileged" lifestyle. I was almost never beaten for my actions unless they were extremely wrong (like swearing infront of adults, stuff like that). My parents were lenient about a lot of different things. They weren't ever to strict on me, and they essentially gave me creative license over my own life. I am to this day something my entire family collectively up until this generation was not; I am pansexual (if you don't consider that a sexuality, kindly go fuck yourself), I am an Atheist, and a Democrat. Once I can scour up enough money in the future for it, I plan to go under a complete Male to Female sex change. My family is compiled mostly of traditional Christians; Straight, Christian, Republican, and very strict on Gender roles. Up until I was 13/14 (so 1-2 years ago) I didn't have a good grasp on what was going on around me. Then, guess what, I hit puberty and started having these new attractions to people I've never felt before. I experimented, and guess what I found? I found that after all this experimenting, I came up with the decision that I was a completely normal human being who had a completely normal childhood, and was not influenced in any way (other than having the freedom to do all this from my parents) to make these decisions.

A simple tl;dr, however, can be put as this. I may seem contradictive in what I say here with the information I've put, but oh well:

You are you, and whatever you decide to do with your future should not matter to other people. As long as you're happy.

I never said I was against gays. I am for gay rights movement. All I am saying is that they chose to be gay.

I am a Christian but I am not religious. I just believe in the 10 commandments and that god exists.

watwatwatwat

Here is where you should have been cut off and the discussion should have merely been tossed out the window.

First things first, I'd like to argue the point that, as infants we have (almost) no concept of sexuality, no religion, no whatever the fuck you want to add in. Later on in life for most people, we do indeed sit down with ourselves and decide, "Hey, now's a good time to think about things that will affect us for the rest of our lives." That includes, but is not limited to, Religion, Sexuality, Gender. Some people are born, and live life, the same way as they were in the womb. Male, Female, Christian, Atheist, etc. Some are born one way, and decide later on in life that they want to change. Males will become females, Atheists will see the light and become Christians, Christians will think there's no more hope and will become Atheists. That's a choice they make on their own. Going back to my point earlier, some people are so affected by their surroundings that they think if they do anything out of line, they're to be punished, making them be or do one thing without a choice.

I lived what some may call a "privileged" lifestyle. I was almost never beaten for my actions unless they were extremely wrong (like swearing infront of adults, stuff like that). My parents were lenient about a lot of different things. They weren't ever to strict on me, and they essentially gave me creative license over my own life. I am to this day something my entire family collectively up until this generation was not; I am pansexual (if you don't consider that a sexuality, kindly go fuck yourself), I am an Atheist, and a Democrat. Once I can scour up enough money in the future for it, I plan to go under a complete Male to Female sex change. My family is compiled mostly of traditional Christians; Straight, Christian, Republican, and very strict on Gender roles. Up until I was 13/14 (so 1-2 years ago) I didn't have a good grasp on what was going on around me. Then, guess what, I hit puberty and started having these new attractions to people I've never felt before. I experimented, and guess what I found? I found that after all this experimenting, I came up with the decision that I was a completely normal human being who had a completely normal childhood, and was not influenced in any way (other than having the freedom to do all this from my parents) to make these decisions.

A simple tl;dr, however, can be put as this. I may seem contradictive in what I say here with the information I've put, but oh well:

You are you, and whatever you decide to do with your future should not matter to other people. As long as you're happy.

I didn't read any of it besides the last sentence. And I agree with it but I think people choose to be gay or straight. I have nothing against gay people or whatever the people's decision is unless it's murder and around that area.

tumblr pls

That whole wall of text is an oxymoron

I didn't read any of it besides the last sentence. And I agree with it but I think people choose to be gay or straight. I have nothing against gay people or whatever the people's decision is unless it's murder and around that area.

My God, why are you so thick?

Posted · Hidden by A Delicious Cashew, September 3, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by A Delicious Cashew, September 3, 2014 - No reason given

HA GAYYY

This isn't the great below, don't shitpost here.

Actually I am pretty skinny. I am trying to gain more weight so I can work it out.

No no. It's like you ignore anything that comes in conflict with your POV. Gent and notice me senpai put the answer right in your face and you somehow still make an argument out of it. I mean, seriously?

Actually I am pretty skinny. I am trying to gain more weight so I can work it out.

I love how even in the way you tried to respond to him, you failed. It should be obvious why.

Here's my opinion based on what I've read: homosexuality is influenced by 3 things: genetics, feminization while in the womb (it's a real thing. look it up), and environmental factors in some cases.

What I mean by that last bit is that I think in some cases, a person may have some latent homosexuality and then have it brought to the surface by an experience or series of experiences that lead to them discovering their homosexuality, which they were subconsciously suppressing or were simply unaware of on a conscious level.

Sexual attraction is not a choice.  You are either attracted to someone or you aren't.  You can't choose to be attracted to someone that you aren't, and you can't choose to stop being attracted to someone that you are.

According to some religions, homosexuality is a sin.  So if you belong to one of those religions, then of course you must believe that it's a choice - no matter what the evidence says.  After all, if it's not a choice, then god is to blame for allowing people to be born gay and then commanding them to be straight.

No no. It's like you ignore anything that comes in conflict with your POV. Gent and notice me senpai put the answer right in your face and you somehow still make an argument out of it. I mean, seriously?

Hypocrit. Your not accepting my point at all either. You think your right when in reality you aren't.

I love how even in the way you tried to respond to him, you failed. It should be obvious why.

How?

Hypocrit. Your not accepting my point at all either. You think your right when in reality you aren't.

How?

@bags thick refers to a thick skull, nothing to do with being skinny / fat.

Have you given any evidence apart from personal opinion?

Have you given any evidence apart from personal opinion?

So everything is about evidence to you huh? I guess your atheists. You know research gets invalidated all the time? And many philosophers and scientists say it's choice that lead them to being gay,

So everything is about evidence to you huh? I guess your atheists. You know research gets invalidated all the time? And many philosophers and scientists say it's choice that lead them to being gay,

So you have no evidence, yet you believe you are correct.

Either a troll, or very stupid.

Archived