Fave books/what are you currently reading?

Teeny Tiny Cat

definitely re-read catch-22, i've read it probably 4 or 5 times now haha. 

"the brief and wondrous life of oscar wao" is a brilliant book which is kind of about the history of the dominican republic told through three generations and a story from each generation in a family culminating in oscar wao's life lived primarily in america. really snappy narrator, lots of personality and interesting history.

at the moment i'm reading king lear for a seminar tomorrow (meh, never been the biggest fan of reading shakespeare, much more fun to watch) and i'm reading tony harrison's translation of Aeschylus' Agamemnon trilogy, Orestia. very cool linguistic stuff going on in that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really get that strongly into the lore stuff with fandoms but my husband and a few of my friends are so fuckin hyped over star wars that it's kinda infectious, and listening to various theories on where the story is going makes me wanna read more of the supposed backstory. I don't even know where to start or what's considered canon though.

The big thing with the Star Wars canon is that disney recently reset it. So, there's now two universes. There's the current one, which is just the movies, the Clone Wars TV series, the Rebels TV series, and the books and comics produced since the reset. The other Universe is the Legends universe, which comprises itself of everything from before the reset. All the games, comics, books, TV shows, movies. All of it. What was amazing was that, despite the bloat, it was all cohesive, with everything fitting into place with little, if any, contradictions (at least until Lucas started giving the writers of Clone Wars carte blanche to overwrite set continuity). Needless to say, more that a few fans were, and still are, upset at the end of their Star Wars universe. Thankfully, it still is a solid, stand alone story that stretches all the way to about 140 years after the movies.

As for where to start, I can't really make any good suggestions on the new universe book-wise (the new Vader comic is great though), as they've been pretty bad overall. Also, I really dislike the fact that they made the empire basically fall apart with a massive conga line of defeat after Return of the Jedi, just like the skit from Robot Chicken.

For the Legends stuff, the two best entry points tend to be the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-Wing series. Thrawn is about one of the remaining Grand Admirals, who, with his natural talent for strategy, reorganizes the Imperial forces and brings the New Republic to their knees and it is up to the Original Trilogy heroes to stop him. The X-Wing series, however, does not focus on the movie's main characters, but instead on ace pilot Wedge Antilles as he creates a squad of elite pilot/commandos to strike at threats to the fledgling New Republic.

If you want to ease yourself into the mythos though, start with the novelization of Revenge of the Sith. As it's a novelization, the overall plot won't be anything new, but it does add enough to it (especially at the part where Anakin transitions to Vader), that it makes the movie feel better. The other two prequel movies also do well with their novelizations, but Episode I also had the Darth Plagueis novel which is basically what the Sith were doing before and during the movie, and even has the bonus of actually explaining all the silly politics from the movie so it makes sense.

-snip, damn Tapatalk and the limited view space-

Let's say that Disney pushed the "squeeze the franchise until it's death to get money" button.

Since the acquisition what I saw were more commercial choices than passion. Especially recently, from the new movie to the awful DICE rebrand of SW Battlefront into a Battlefield reskin, the hype is exploding, even for the people who never watched a single movie.

(sorry for the off-topic)

---------------------------------------

I really loved the Splinter Cell series of books (even the pS2 games, but that's another story), and I'm getting closer to what Tom Clancy wrote and co-produced.

• Administrators

Changed the title so people can update with things they're reading if they want.

The last thing I read was Jailbird/Kurt Vonnegut. I enjoyed it. Pretty different to any other Vonnegut I've read but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Made me snort with laughter aloud in public a few times.

Starting Monsieur Pain/Roberto Bolano. Haven't read Bolano before, figured I'd give this a go before 2666 to see if I like his style, seeing as this one is way shorter lol.

Started reading War and Peace (in Dutch). People told me it's very good but it just seems as if nothing happens and I'm 150 pages or so in and have so far to go I may just give up

Hmmm,  i never read a book. And never will i think........

This post made me upset.

I got a Kindle over Christmas, so I've been doing a bit more reading lately.

The last book I finished was Lolita, and I'm currently reading Neuromancer. I would recommend both, although they are indeed very different.

As for my favorite, it's probably 1984.

Started reading War and Peace (in Dutch). People told me it's very good but it just seems as if nothing happens and I'm 150 pages or so in and have so far to go I may just give up

there's a BBC adaptation for TV airing now if you wanted to get the basic plot without the insane length

Chronicles of Narnia series. Read books 1-4 back during elementary and early middle school. May finish up the series on day.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is my favorite book so far. Currently reading Through the Looking Glass in preparation for the movie that's coming out in two months. woo

Edit: Completely forgot about Go Ask Alice. That book was amazing and so sad.

Archived