Fave books/what are you currently reading?

Teeny Tiny Cat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller: you know when people are like 'oh my humour is really dark like; haha dead babies haha'? this book is what dark humour is actually about. WWII bomber squadron; every single character is incredible and comic, it's absurd and brilliant.

I have the weirdest relationship with this book. I tried reading it a bunch of times in high school and college and always just kinda got fed up with it or it just didn't hold my attention for whatever reason, must have started it and given up at least 10 times. When I moved to the states, I didn't have to work or study for like the only time in my life since I was 5, so I read a ridiculous amount and I decided fuck it, I am going to finish this goddamn book. And I loved it. I don't know what it was, but pushing through was so worthwhile.

Haven't tried re-reading since. Don't wanna ruin the memory. D:

I enjoyed the Ender's Game and Eragon series'. Loved the amount of detail in both, and both really hit you in the feels at the end. Too bad both movies were terrible.

Book was great but the movie? Let's mash everything into a 2 hour period and briefly mention Bean!!

On a side note, among the hidden books were pretty good

• Administrators

My most enjoyed recent reading has probably been 1/2 of Knausgaard's My Stuggle. It's mundane but weirdly enthralling.

I don't read words much no more, not since years of ago ;c

But I honestly can't wait to see what movies forumers are gonna shit on because they're not cannon with the-

Oh, sorry, didn't realize we were already doing that

But I honestly can't wait to see what movies forumers are gonna shit on because they're not cannon with the-

At least the Martian was much better at staying with the book (especially with actually including the science) than most other book adaptations

• Administrators
Posted · Hidden by polar, January 8, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, January 8, 2016 - No reason given

Why'd you remove "salty" from your name?

Why'd you remove "salty" from your name?

Why haven't you added it to yours? 

Game of Thrones books and the Horus Heresy are my favorite series, I'd be hard pressed to pick a specific book from either though

• Administrators

Why haven't you added it to yours? 

Cause I'm not ;)

Cause I'm not ;)

Oof, ya got me, slinger. I just can't handle all these fired shots. 

Back on topic, my favorite books are "Facilitating Online Learning: Effective Strategies for Moderators", "Pregnancy: For Dummies", and "Divorce: For Dummies"

They're all a really good reads, I find, and would like to recommend them to you for future use <3

Yours truly,

Python

Anything from british literature goes well for me

Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe are the best writers at mystery and crime story genders.

Besides that, anything from surrealist literature is fine and neat

So many to choose from...

I'll start off by saying I love the Star Wars Legends EU and the Star Trek novelverse. Between the two franchises, I own around 200 books between the two franchises. For favorites overall, I'd go Q-Squared for Star Trek, and Darth Plagueis for Star Wars.

Next up would be the Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy series as it is just flat out entertaining with great writing and finny tangents.

There's also the Discworld series, for the same reason as Hitchhiker's. However, Discworld is more the fantasy genre compared to Hitchhiker's Science Fiction. Favorite book would probably be Thud! with Reaper Man coming in second.

As for authors, I do enjoy the works of Harry Turtledove. His books tend to focus on alternative history ("What if the South won the Civil War?", "What if the Korean War went nuclear?" "What it aliens invaded in the middle of WWII?").

Also, as an aside note, I do own a copy of Dancing With Eternity, buy John Patrick Lowrie, better known here as the VA of the Sniper.

One of my favorites was Kite Runner. Really liked the overall storyline, and I felt Hosseini did a really nice job in writing it

Oh I forgot to mention, I kinda like my Classics. Herod's histories was very interesting, currently reading Virgil's Aeneid.

In translation that is. I did read parts of the Aeneid in the original Latin at school but my Latin is too shaky for me to enjoy reading literature in it. So translations it is. Also, Martials poetry is pretty great, but not really a book

The call of cthulhu by H.P lovecraft is a good one. I also like birdsong by sebastian faulks (had to do it for english a level), Really quite sad at times, awkward to read out loud the sexy bits.

• Administrators

I'll start off by saying I love the Star Wars Legends EU and the Star Trek novelverse. Between the two franchises, I own around 200 books between the two franchises. For favorites overall, I'd go Q-Squared for Star Trek, and Darth Plagueis for Star Wars..

I never really get that strongly into the lore stuff with fandoms but my husband and a few of my friends are so fuckin hyped over star wars that it's kinda infectious, and listening to various theories on where the story is going makes me wanna read more of the supposed backstory. I don't even know where to start or what's considered canon though.

There's too many posts in here for me to reply to everyone, but lots of good stuff posted. People should suggest a bunch of different things cause then I can pick the people who liked things I like and read the stuff from them that I haven't read! :D

I never really get that strongly into the lore stuff with fandoms but my husband and a few of my friends are so fuckin hyped over star wars that it's kinda infectious, and listening to various theories on where the story is going makes me wanna read more of the supposed backstory. I don't even know where to start or what's considered canon though.

There's too many posts in here for me to reply to everyone, but lots of good stuff posted. People should suggest a bunch of different things cause then I can pick the people who liked things I like and read the stuff from them that I haven't read! :D

lof der zotheid, divina comedia and Voragine's Legenda Sanctorum are some fun late medieval/renaissance works. Do read translations though, it's nearly impossible to read the source texts

• Administrators

Lol pudding, the only latin I know is from biology, I couldn't read originals if I wanted to. :P

I've read dante in english, will have a look for epubs of the others. Thanks. :)

Archived