Fave books/what are you currently reading?

Teeny Tiny Cat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lately I've been reading a lot of Historical Fiction, mostly Conn Iggulden's work

I definitely recommend his conqueror and emperor series. They make reading about history a little more interesting, though you need to remember that some elements are added to improve the plot.

I've read the Eragon series multiple times through in my life, and it just gets better every time. 

I REALLY enjoy Christopher Paolini's works, the dude's a genius. Easily my favorite book series of all time. 

movie was shit though

I've read the Eragon series multiple times through in my life, and it just gets better every time. 

I REALLY enjoy what Christopher Paolini did with the series. Easily my favorite book series of all time. 

movie was shit though

I've re-read it a good 6 times probably..... though I feel like he didn't handle the last book very well.

I enjoyed the Ender's Game and Eragon series'. Loved the amount of detail in both, and both really hit you in the feels at the end. Too bad both movies were terrible.

I've re-read it a good 6 times probably..... though I feel like he didn't handle the last book very well.

I am with you there. 

Personally I would've enjoyed more romance between Eragon and Arya... it was so built up throughout the entire series. I did hear that another book was coming out to sum up the rest of their lives though, so that'll be something I look forward to. 

I am with you there. 

Personally I would've enjoyed more romance between Eragon and Arya... it was so built up throughout the entire series. I did hear that another book was coming out to sum up the rest of their lives though, so that'll be something I look forward to. 

I think Paolini was trying to be edgy or something... I was so pissed when I first read it.  If you're interested you can try reading this and its sequel https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4585314/1/Eldunari(I prefer it to the actual book, it's fanfiction but I promise there is no weird shit)

The Count of Monte Cristo is a favourite of mine, make sure you get an abridged version if you don't like what was at the time cutting political analysis but is now people sitting around discussing Napoleon for 15 pages at a time. The actual story is compelling and an excellent breakdown of typical revenge tropes, and it's written by Alexander Dumas, the guy who wrote The Three Musketeers.

Right now I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is just the best thing. Read it.

I've read the Eragon quadrilogy (or whatever), it's fun but it's a little patchy and a little predictable in areas, I found. Eragon himself is also the most self-inserty karma-free Marty Stu I've ever seen :/

Massive fan of the A Song Of Ice And Fire series. Also really liked time and time again, which was recommended by somebody on the forums but I kinda forgot by who

Read a good few of Kader Abdollah's works as well and quite liked them. And the Dan Brown mysteries are pretty cool as well

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller: you know when people are like 'oh my humour is really dark like; haha dead babies haha'? this book is what dark humour is actually about. WWII bomber squadron; every single character is incredible and comic, it's absurd and brilliant.

Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih: sort of useless to try to describe this book because there's a couple of narrative frames and so many beautiful images and evocative moments. essentially a man taken from his homeland in sudan to be given a british education slowly reveals his life story through his dialogue with the protagonist, his actions, and a dairy. the protagonist also has a narrative of his own to tell. it's so well written.

Underworld by Don Delillo: a masterpiece with hundreds of characters and lots of intertwining storylines partially centred on the baseball hit into the crowd in 'The Shot Heard Round the World'; partially a sort of social history of the cold war.

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway: i've gone off hemingway a little bit because his characters are all very masturbatory self-imaginings and his archaic 'this is what it is to be a man' thing loses appeal pretty fast. all that said, his prose is so good and his plotting tempo is superb.

Ubik by Philip K Dick: original and smart sci-fi, as with seemingly everything he wrote there will be a movie of this one day and it will not do the book justice. ubik is a (ubiquitous, get it) canned spray which prevents objects from degrading into older obselete versions of themselves in the world which the protagonist and others find themselves in after an explosion. 

All Tolkien books that take place in Middleearth. :)

Did you ever read 'The Silmarillion'? I read that when I was at a cottage over a summer ~2yrs ago, it's really good if you liked the whole setting of Middle-Earth. Basically the creation stories, and the rise of Evil in the land; top notch stuff. Adding to the discussion, I enjoyed 'A Song Of Ice And Fire', and Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhikers' Guide' series is one of my favourites as it's just so wacky

To Kill a Mockingbird is a current favourite. 

Private Peaceful was my first 'favourite' book, back when I was around 10, and it still touches me. 

Vermeer's Hat.

We take for globalization for granted. This is a book about first contacts - the FIRST time the Europeans interacted with native americans, the first time a Dutch vessel got stranded on a beach in a Chinese fishing village. What did these people who knew nothing of a world outside their own think of people with different hair, skin color, tongue? Absolutely fascinating. Also the reference to Indra's web from this book is cited very frequently. Really powerful imagery.

Did you ever read 'The Silmarillion'? I read that when I was at a cottage over a summer ~2yrs ago, it's really good if you liked the whole setting of Middle-Earth. Basically the creation stories, and the rise of Evil in the land; top notch stuff. Adding to the discussion, I enjoyed 'A Song Of Ice And Fire', and Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhikers' Guide' series is one of my favourites as it's just so wacky

Yes of course, and there are more books than just the silmarillion as well. Although not that completed.

Yes of course, and there are more books than just the silmarillion as well. Although not that completed.

I also have The Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales. Have you read those? 

Death by Black Hole by Neil Degrasse Tyson and Dark Pools by Scott Patterson are my favorite non-fictions, they're both really fascinating

I liked the Phantom Tollbooth a lot when I was a kid, as well as LOTR (and the hobbit). But I personally think my favorite book (as I remember it) is the Trolley to Yesterday by John Bellairs

Archived