MimicMarshall

21 members have voted

1. 1. Add bubble and/or warning text for spells

• Add just the icon/bubble
    • Add just the warning
    • Add both
    • This idea is complete crap.
    • WTF are you talking about.

A minor problem that I have is that the price of Halloween spells are not included in the price of items, which makes the items seem undervalued. Being a person who owns a couple of items with spells, they are a rare thing that are bought to add value and/or to have just a little something extra that not many people have. People are completely naive to the fact there is even a spell on their item(s) and they just sell them for regular BP price. I know that the price of the spells are insane right and nobody wants to pay the full price for spells (sort of like paint). Given here in this forum, jaws states "You also have to consider the spell's price and rarity.  The retained value is not straight line, again due to price and rarity.  For example; a 45 key spell might retain 10% of value while a 3 key spell may add 75% value.  Then again the popularity of the item adds to this." Even though the spells may not always retain the full price, spells still plays a role in the value of an item, which is often neglected.

Maybe asking to add the price of the spells is too much? Maybe make the spells more noticeable instead of the text that sort of blends in with item description?

This is just a suggestion. I would love to hear your opinions, good or bad  :) 

post-18262-0-58355300-1452146650_thumb.png

post-18262-0-33594100-1452146751_thumb.png

shouldn't give added value, spells are probs super over-inflated for no good reason, different percentage valuations would make things too complicated.  it's very hard to sell an item enchanted with spells for anything significantly more than base value

What percent should be added to the item? 50% would certainly be ridiculous with the current price of some spells. I don't think there is an easy one percentage fits all that more or less works with parts and paints. so it wouldn't be easy to add.

Spells don't add value to an item, if any like half a scrap. People prefer to put spells on items they want rather than buy them for a stupid amount

Paint prices for hats in fact is currently overvalued in our backpacks, no one is paying half the paint's price anymore, so i doubt spells are any better when they work only during full moon/halloween

Ignoring the small market and the fact that most people don't want to pay anything for them...

Here's the thing about spells--they don't have prices.

("Yes they do!", you say.)

However, they actually don't. While they all have prices listed, the listed prices refer to the tradable spells, which no longer exist since the Tough Break update. You can no longer buy a spell, and you can't accurately price applied spells based on what unapplied spells used to sell for (A lot of the appeal of the spells was that you could put them on your Max's/unusual/other specific hat/weapon)

In order for spells to have a meaningful price, someone would have to price applied ones, which could be quite a task.

Edit: It seems that it would probably make sense to remove the existing prices for spells, given the above.

Vrakos, they are not really over-inflated, they are just becoming even rarer now that Valve completely got rid of spells from Halloween drops. But I do have to agree with the fact that items with spells are harder to sell.

Vrakos, they are not really over-inflated, they are just becoming even rarer now that Valve completely got rid of spells from Halloween drops. But I do have to agree with the fact that items with spells are harder to sell.

Not if you sell them at the normal price. 

The main problem is that spells were removed.  This made the market for them extremely rare and people who wanted to apply very specific spells to unusuals or other items, would have to contact one of the 1 - 3 sellers of the spell they wanted.  This makes the backpack.tf price of spells what you would pay if you wanted to get one of the very rare unapplied spells.  Their actual value is much lower, around what they would have been during the halloween update.  That's why adding 50% of their value would be ridiculous.  The backpack.tf price is completely different than the spells actual value.  It only represents what the un-applied spells sell for... and their market is EXTREMELY limited.

In my opinion adding extra value to items with spells isnt good idea, but that items should have extra info like lowcrafts have- "This item's value is possibly higher (Halloween Spell)".

I have many many miscs and weapons with spells but im not complaining that they dont have extra value. Its not easy to sell them for nice price becouse most people say "bp.tf says hat is worth only 2 ref im not gonna add for spell bla bla..", but people who actully are looking for items with spells can pay for them few keys like this http://i.imgur.com/sogDLQk.png

-snip-

^Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Make it valuable without actually adding value.

If its a nice spell on a good unusual hat = add price, a spell on a crappy hat = no difference. 

I'm sure the specific preferences of a single user on how it should be priced would not be enough to warrant a change like that.

As someone who sells spells, I can agree that adding some sort of notification that stands out would be beneficial.  However, adding actual value to items (like paint) would be ill-advised.

Items with spells applied depend on a list of factors, and take an extremely long time to sell:

• Popularity of the item (All-Class Misc vs robot hat)
  • How easy it is to find said item with spell applied (newer items vs Max's/Bill's)
  • Available qualities of the item
  • Combos & Matching (item w/ TS Footprints & Spectral Spectrum, Violet & Chromatic, etc)
  • What spell is applied (different %'s)
  • Willingness of Buyer/Seller

But yeah, too many factors to make adding specific values hard.

Talking about combos, i have one very nice on my heavy :)  "Fire theme":

Pro collector tomislav with manndarin tornado + Orbiting Fire Outdorsman with Orange footprints and spectarl spectrum

It looks perfect only when in red team :(

1MSTHQN.png

UHSoOmA.png

Talking about combos, i have one very nice on my heavy :)  "Fire theme":

Pro collector tomislav with manndarin tornado + Orbiting Fire Outdorsman with Orange footprints and spectarl spectrum

It looks perfect only when in red team :(

1MSTHQN.png

UHSoOmA.png

For some reason my footprint spell doesn't work on the conga but works on other movement taunts. :(   Must be a bug...

Anyway, you are all making a great point on the fact that the market for spells is very small, that adding the price of spells would be outrageous, even with 50% and etc. So I guess scrap that idea completely.

So a second idea to sort of go with the bland text idea is adding a little icon or bubble indicating a spell, sort of like the little bubble used to show that there is paint on the item, and/or adding a warning when you scroll over the item, sort of like what trade.tf has (sorry about referencing another trade site on a backpack.tf forum  :unsure:) I added a poll to go along with this. Poll is at the top of this page.

7fhXbyX.png

What has valve done to spells?  both applied and unapplied.  Did they drop this past year like before?

Valve has recently got rid of spells from Halloween drops and made them untradable (during the Tough Break Update) but they have been saved by collectors over the years in their alt accounts. Spells were pretty rare before the update but have become even rarer because of this change. You can still apply them to items through a nearly impossible a process involving the use of gift wrap, server crap, etc, so you don't loose the spells. It is a glitch that hasn't been fixed by Valve until now.

I just make this forum to make people aware of the fact that spells are valuable and need some sort of warning.

Valve has recently got rid of spells from Halloween drops (maybe a little bit before the 2015 scream fortress update) but they have been saved by collectors over the years in their alt accounts. Spells were pretty rare before this update but have become even rarer because of this. You can still apply them to items through a process so you don't loose the spells. It is a glitch that hasn't been fixed by Valve (and I don't think they intend to either) as stated in this Reddit forum.

I just make this forum to make people aware of spells are on your items...

except you can't use that glitch, 'cause spells aren't tradable

Valve has recently got rid of spells from Halloween drops (maybe a little bit before the 2015 scream fortress update) but they have been saved by collectors over the years in their alt accounts. Spells were pretty rare before this update but have become even rarer because of this. You can still apply them to items through a process so you don't loose the spells. It is a glitch that hasn't been fixed by Valve (and I don't think they intend to either) as stated in this Reddit forum.

I just make this forum to make people aware of spells are on your items...

Valve changed it so that any item past their expiration date is no longer tradeable or craftable.

except you can't use that glitch, 'cause spells aren't tradable

I totally forgot to include that. It also happened during the Tough Break update, not during scream fortress, my mistake.

It is a huge bummer that Valve finally fixed it...

• 3 weeks later...

You can still apply them to items through a nearly impossible a process involving the use of gift wrap, server crap, etc, so you don't loose the spells.

Absolutely false. There is no "server crap" that would allow you to wrap the spells without losing them. Even if there were, it would be halted dead in its tracks by the fact you can't gift wrap spells even under normal circumstances. Not that that even matters either since gift wrap was disabled around the same time Valve added the expiry = non-tradable thing.

Valve changed it so that any item past their expiration date is no longer tradeable or craftable.

I totally forgot to include that. It also happened during the Tough Break update, not during scream fortress, my mistake.

It is a huge bummer that Valve finally fixed it...

Actually based off contracts, the change Valve made appears to be that any item that expires, regardless of whether it has expired or not, meaning unless there are further adjustments to the expiry date feature that spells may continue to remain untradable even if their expiry date is updated.

Skip skip skip skip skip...

Let's think of it this way. Would you (or anyone) pay extra for a hat with spells on it? Not really.

Also, items are generally worth more if they are unused, for example companion gift box, strange parts, bacon grease, and spells.

Archived