A question about spells

This Particular User

Hey. I've done a lot of trading. But there's still some things I don't fully understand, like how much value a spell really adds to an item for instance.

Recently, it would seem that Valve got rid of spells from Halloween drops (thanks guys), and, since we currently don't know if they'll ever make a comeback, the spells themselves that were saved from last year have insane prices. But what about the items with spells on them?

For instance, I've got a unique Horsemann's Hand-Me-Down with Headless Horseshoes which I use to dress my Demoman as the Horseless Headless Horsemann. While I do really enjoy this cosmetic, I suck at Demoknight. A lot. And, generally, I only get to use this cape at certain times in the year outside of servers with 24/7 Halloween. And even then, due to how much I suck at Demoknight, I don't get to show off my spooky steps much, so I'm thinking of selling it.

Logically speaking, how much should I value the spell at? Half price? Quarter price? No price? Full price? Keep in mind that I have no intention of quick-selling it or any of my items with spells, but I'd also like to sell it within the next ten years.

I've sold spelled item relatively easy for a quarter of their price. (Footprint spells)  Due to the stoppage of dropping it should only get easier to sell them, although I doubt anyone would pay more than half. 

Edit: Didn't realize that the spell prices are now  fucking insane

ive been trying to sell my bruisers bandana with orange footprints for over a week now. Had a few people interested but no offers over about 4 keys, when the spell is posted at 45. Its gonna be hard to sell, id say go for a quarter value if you want to sell before tf2 becomes non existent lol

I've sold several spelled items for about the item + full spell price. The longer you hold onto the item, the rarer it will become, and the prices are already insane. So I'd say set a solid price and wait it out, you can probably get it eventually, especially since they also recently fixed spells.

That's my game plan at least. http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/24281061:)

I was only able to sell spell at half price for some items with cheap 3 ref spells, other ones, not so much. I was unable to get anything other than a few ref extra for expensive spells.

The value in these spells is that they are raw. A raw spell has the ability to make any object you want (including you) an unusual. Think of it as a method to build an unusual of your choice (like in DOTA.) A spell that has been applied loses a significant amount of value. Once applied it becomes somebody else's dream. I don't know if it would even retain 25% of its raw value once applied, although it will certainly add value to the object. The market will have to determine this. You can't treat a raw spell or spelled item as you would a common paint. When you think about it very few spelled items (unusuals) will ever be able to be made, and the maker will be the person with the dream.

Now popular items like Crone's will retain significantly more of the spells value, while the unique snaggletooth will retain hardly any.  All class will retain more value also.  

You also have to consider the spell's price and rarity.  The retained value is not straight line, again due to price and rarity.  For example; a 45 key spell might retain 10% of value while a 3 key spell may add 75% value.  Then again the popularity of the item adds to this.  I would think a Horsemann's Hand-Me-Down would be a primo spelled item, but because of this there were probably a lot of players playing dress up and spelling Horsemann's Hand-Me-Down.  Additionally, you have to factor in that it is not haunted.  Most traders will want the haunted item if they are paying these crazy prices (adding a few refined for haunted is negligible.)  I would say your item is currently worth 6-12 keys due to the theme.  

tl:dr I would think right now your item will retain just a little value to the average person, but when you find that guy that likes to dress up as HH you've got gold.  

hth

p.s. the reluctance of BP.TF to update these spells will cause any spelled items to be undervalued by what ever percentage.  I have recently witnessed some newbie spell traders come into the market and sell at bp.tf prices, ignorant of the true value or that spells have been discontinued.  Their items are immediately bought up by resellers.  I feel bad for these traders because they essentially get taken advantage of due to trusting bp.tf pricing.  That being said it also decreases the public's view of the value added to items (and spells) because instead of buying, now the buyer thinks a newbie will eventually enter the market and they can shark him (due to the outdated bp.tf pricing.)  The buyer's dream is to try to beat the reseller at buying up those items being offered by the traders ignorant of the market and selling at incredibly outdated bp.tf prices.

Archived