Need a serious PC upgrade.

Hexlicious

Don't be stupid, use your 1440p monitor at 1440p for gaming and use your 1080p monitor at 1080p for everything else.... 

I prefer 1080p, 1440p was just overkill for my taste =P

Anyways, whatever should be changed, you do it, since you actually have a clue what needs to be changed http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bs3Nbv

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, whatever should be changed, you do it, since you actually have a clue what needs to be changed http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bs3Nbv

Well honestly the previous suggestion of toning down the graphics card to something like the r9 390 pretty much sums it up.

On a side note can someone recommend me a blue LED mouse that isn't too expensive? My current one is squeaking.

Well honestly the previous suggestion of toning down the graphics card to something like the r9 390 pretty much sums it up.

On a side note can someone recommend me a blue LED mouse that isn't too expensive? My current one is squeaking.

Define 'isn't too expensive'? 

Logitech G502, Mionix Avior/Naos 700, Corsair M45, and Logitech G100s/300/402 are my usual recommendations. 

r9 390 is like half the price of the one I have choicen, is their a very drastic difference?

It's actually a half decent PSU -- not for this caliber of build....but it's decent. 

If you're going with a 1440p monitor, then I'd go with the 980Ti. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($673.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1484.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 11:57 EDT-0400

Well, I'd swap the 980Ti for a 390, and then decide what you want to do with the PSU -- either by going with a 650GS or a 750/850 G2 and leaving you room to go with two GPUs in the future. 

r9 390 is like half the price of the one I have choicen, is their a very drastic difference?

A 390 is a bit better than a 970, but is still plenty for 1080p (a 980Ti is way overkill for 1080p)

Define 'isn't too expensive'? 

Logitech G502, Mionix Avior/Naos 700, Corsair M45, and Logitech G100s/300/402 are my usual recommendations. 

On second thought I think I'll try fixing this one first and then we'll see what happens. A bit of oil or similar will probably do the trick.

Since you said you prefer an all black build you'll probably want to go with the Gigabyte. I know you said the inside doesn't matter much but if you'll be rocking a side panel window it kind of does.

I prefer Black/White, but would be fine with all Black :)

Why that one? the rating is pretty bad =P

Because Sapphire makes pretty much the best AMD cards, and offer some of the best customer service. 

look up actual professional reviews. (also, it has great reviews -- 5/5 on Amazon, and 4/5 on Newegg)) 

Because Sapphire makes pretty much the best AMD cards, and offer some of the best customer service. 

look up actual professional reviews.

Alrighty then, you obviously know what you're talking about, so i'll take your advice.

This is the build now, anything that needs changing? Otherwise it's ordering time. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yr3Nbv

Alrighty then, you obviously know what you're talking about, so i'll take your advice.

This is the build now, anything that needs changing? Otherwise it's ordering time. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yr3Nbv

I'd go with the MSI Z97 Krait + the ram I recommended in my post since it fits your black/white preferred theme. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($48.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.49 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1096.20

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 13:05 EDT-0400

There is one very crucial thing we haven't touched on yet which is the building itself. If you haven't already check out some videos and stuff on how to build PC's if you'll be doing it yourself and maybe considered getting an anti-static wrist strap to be on the safe side. I know electronics have been getting pretty good at being more resilient but static electricity is still a threat.

There is one very crucial thing we haven't touched on yet which is the building itself. If you haven't already check out some videos and stuff on how to build PC's if you'll be doing it yourself and maybe considered getting an anti-static wrist strap to be on the safe side. I know electronics have been getting pretty good at being more resilient but static electricity is still a threat.

It's a concern, but not a very big one. As long as you don't build on a shag carpet while wearing thick cotton socks you'll more than likely be fine. (although, you should still plug in your PSU to the wall and touch the housing of the PSU every so often to make sure you're grounded).

Are you sure 8gb of ram are enough? More is always better right? And the build is still fairly cheap.

8gb is still plenty if you're not running 20+ chrome tabs while gaming, plus you can buy another 8gb in the future if you really need more. I have no issues at 8gb, I even managed at 4gb for a few weeks while I RMA'd some RAM. Plus ram will only get cheaper as time goes on. 

Are you sure 8gb of ram are enough? More is always better right? And the build is still fairly cheap.

To be quite honest a build of this caliber looks like a dream to me. Then again I haven't lived long enough to know what a paycheck is like.

Although considering this is a $1k build I don't see why indulging in 16gb of ram is such a bad thing.

8gb is still plenty if you're not running 20+ chrome tabs while gaming, plus you can buy another 8gb in the future if you really need more. I have no issues at 8gb, I even managed at 4gb for a few weeks while I RMA'd some RAM. Plus ram will only get cheaper as time goes on. 

I usually run 2 chrome tabs tops, sometimes only 1, is there any other ram card you would recommend that would go well with the build? (black/white) Cause I kinda want a proper image of the card x)

I'll be getting help from some people who knows how to build, no worries :)

I usually run 2 chrome tabs tops, sometimes only 1, is there any other ram card you would recommend that would go well with the build? (black/white) Cause I kinda want a proper image of the card x)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104583&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Oh, that works =P

Btw, got a different case suggestion, cause the one I choice is not available to ship to Norway

Ummmm 

NZXT H440, H450 

Corsair 230T, 730T, 760T, 200R, 330R, Air540, 

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 

Fractal Design Define R4/R5 

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 

Archived