Need a serious PC upgrade.

Hexlicious

3 years ago, I was stupid and bought a pre-built computer, cause I mostly needed it for school/work, it has lasted me for a while, but on the gaming side of things, I can't run most modern games at low settings above 10fps, even Team Fortress 2 doesn't go above 45fps on high and that game is not demanding at all.

I need a serious upgrade, something that can easily run most games at above 60fps, there is no budget, I got a job and not really a massive spender most of the time, so I have more than enough money available if I see a build that interest me.

Thanks for any help, I have never built a computer, so this will be interesting.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

use courtney's partbuilder its like 4k but runs like a beast  

Unless it cures cancer and brews me coffee, I am in no need of something like that.

980 TI + 4690K is pretty much the best sensible setup, just add a motherboard with all the features you personally need, a good 600W PSU, storage to suit your needs and sufficient RAM to suit your needs.

If you don't intend on playing all the latest AAA games though you could easily get away with a 970.

What's the bare minimum that can run most AAA games at high/maximum settings with a comfortable ~60 FPS?

I'm currently using i5 660 and nVidia GT 220, which is capable of running TF2 at 30 FPS at medium settings, but is pretty old (at least for the graphics card).

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking, but I thought it was relevant.

980 TI + 4690K is pretty much the best sensible setup, just add a motherboard with all the features you personally need, a good 600W PSU, storage to suit your needs and sufficient RAM to suit your needs.

If you don't intend on playing all the latest AAA games though you could easily get away with a 970.

Shouldn't I be getting a i7? Pretty sure the 4690K is a i5

What's the bare minimum that can run most AAA games at high/maximum settings with a comfortable ~60 FPS?

I'm currently using i5 660 and nVidia GT 220, which is capable of running TF2 at 30 FPS at medium settings, but is pretty old (at least for the graphics card).

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking.

650 TI + a decent quad core i5 should be capable of running most modern games at acceptable settings, i've personally managed to get steady 60 on cod BO3 beta (high textures, mediocre resolution, acceptable AA etc) with a 650 TI.

no i5 works just as good for gaming, unless you plan to do some serious editing etc a i7 is waste of money

no i5 works just as good for gaming, unless you plan to do some serious editing etc a i7 is waste of money

I just see the price tag sometimes and instantly think it's better cuz' expensive, my mindset isn't the best for pc building.

i own an ancient i5 2320 from 2012 with a r9270x and that seems to work well, getting like 150fps on most maps, over 30fps on crysis 2 max settings. Havent tried it on anything more demanding so i cant really say :/

650 TI + a decent quad core i5 should be capable of running most modern games at acceptable settings, i've personally managed to get steady 60 on cod BO3 beta (high textures, mediocre resolution, acceptable AA etc) with a 650 TI.

I just see the price tag sometimes and instantly think it's better cuz' expensive, my mindset isn't the best for pc building.

Right now an i7 is better in only a handful of games (unless you're streaming, then an i7 is definitely better). 

Very few games run on more than four cores, and those that do don't benefit all that much from more than four cores anyway. With that said, DX12 should help to spread the load across cores better than DX11 -- so theoretically an i7 will be better and worth the money. Now, something to keep in mind is that spreading the load across multiple cores has been the goal since years ago in order to gain performance, but it's often not worth the developers time (hence why most games still tend to have a main core which does most of the work anyway).

So, @OP your intentions/how much you want to pay will be the deciding factor...if you want to go all out, then I'd go with something like this: Otherwise, there are far more sensible options (4690k+R9 390+600w psu). Although, I will say one thing, I personally regret getting 4690k+seidon 240m, and if I could go back and redo it, I would get a 4790k+Hyper 212 for about $30 more. (not because I need the extra threads, but for $30 more I can get a cpu to about 4.2+ghz with 8 threads rather than 4.5ghz with 4 cores)

This would max out most (not all) games at 1440p 60fps. (an R9 390 would be perfect for 1080p)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($673.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($97.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1624.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 10:13 EDT-0400

Anything wrong with this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9y26WZ

if the H100i is more than $90~ I'd get a Kraken X61 since it's all around better and only $115~. Although, as I said, I wish I would have gone with a 4790k+Hyper 212 instead of my 4690k+Seidon 240m (h100i equivalent). 

I'd go with a better looking z97 board, although a z87 board is probably fine -- there is a small (virtually nonexistent) change that a Z87 board will need  bios update, which would require a non-haswell refresh cpu. Did I mention that board looks like ass? 

8gb of Ram is plenty for gaming, and I would suggest color matching it. 

Get an SSD. 

I'd take the G1 Gaming 980Ti as it's a better cooler/card for overclocking. 

There are much nicer cases than the HAF 912 (especially for $50 -- the HAF 912 is a budget case at best). 

There are better PSUs than a CX600. 

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($93.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1447.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 10:31 EDT-0400

If you really don't want to spend the money, then get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp600s3128gmc

But an SSD changes everything, and having room to put your most used applications and not having to worry about space is nice. 

Well I got 1TB on my current computer and have in 3 years only used 1/3 of it, 2TB is more than enough for me.

Well I got 1TB on my current computer and have in 3 years only used 1/3 of it, 2TB is more than enough for me.

You still want an SSD regardless of what HDD you have. 

And if that's the case, then just get the SSD and reuse your current HDD, or get the SSD + 1 tb HDD. 

You still want an SSD regardless of what HDD you have. 

And if that's the case, then just get the SSD and reuse your current HDD, or get the SSD + 1 tb HDD. 

But the SSD is an external drive isn't it? If the HDD gives me enough space, why do I need it?

An SSD is an internal drive. Basically it's many times faster than an HDD and it makes a huge noticable speed difference in things such as loading programs and moving files around. For example, booting windows currently takes me 30 seconds on my HDD, but if I got an SSD it would probably take around 6.

An SSD is an internal drive. Basically it's many times faster than an HDD and it makes a huge noticable speed difference in things such as loading programs and moving files around. For example, booting windows currently takes me 30 seconds on my HDD, but if I got an SSD it would probably take around 6.

I really do not know jack-shit about computers, I thought SSD's were just external storage drives ;-; Rip me.

As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure why you're going for a water cooler, unless you're going for serious overclocks. If that's the case a z97 motherboard would be the best option.

If your purpose with this build is pretty much just gaming, the i5 will do great. The i7 only really helps you for other stuff such as recording and streaming.

Can't really recommend the aforementioned power supplies. I can tell you that the Corsair CX series are pretty crappy power supplies, and while that EVGA is somewhat better, it's still sort of on the lower end. I find that this is a handy little reference to look at when picking out a power supply. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html For a high end build like yours you'll want something in Tier 2 at least. (Be wary of Antec High Current Gamer, many reviews say those have frequent noise problems)

Finally, the case. I can see why you'd feel like saving money there but my only argument is, if you're going for a badass build you might as well make it look badass. Don't know if you'd be into side panel windows but it seems pretty cool to be able to see the inside of your computer, especially with those big RAM sticks and that beastly graphics card.

As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure why you're going for a water cooler, unless you're going for serious overclocks. If that's the case a z97 motherboard would be the best option.

If your purpose with this build is pretty much just gaming, the i5 will do great. The i7 only really helps you for other stuff such as recording and streaming.

Can't really recommend the aforementioned power supplies. I can tell you that the Corsair CX series are pretty crappy power supplies, and while that EVGA is somewhat better, it's still sort of on the lower end. I find that this is a handy little reference to look at when picking out a power supply. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html For a high end build like yours you'll want something in Tier 2 at least. (Be wary of Antec High Current Gamer, many reviews say those have frequent noise problems)

Finally, the case. I can see why you'd feel like saving money there but my only argument is, if you're going for a badass build you might as well make it look badass. Don't know if you'd be into side panel windows but it seems pretty cool to be able to see the inside of your computer, especially with those big RAM sticks and that beastly graphics card.

The i7 doesn't really help yet, but going forward it (theoretically) should. And if you consider the cost of a 4690k+a high end cooler, you're looking at around 4.5ghz on 4 cores for about $330~. Alternatively, for $360~ you can get 4.2-4.3ghz on 4 cores/8 threads. Which is why I still regret going with a 4690k+seidon 240m. 

The EVGA B1600w is a solid unit, yes it's a budget unit but it is still a good unit and I'd have no issues using it in my build. Even the CX unit isn't terrible, but it's not great.

Y'all are seriously overestimating what is needed. 

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($136.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power S60 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 380 2GB IceQ X² OC Video Card  ($181.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $587.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 11:30 EDT-0400

TF2 can be maxed out on some APUs nowadays, so your 980tis are really kinda ridiculous. This build is capable of maxing out a lot of games at 1080p 60FPS. 

How about this? Pretty much the original build, just switched the power supply and added more ram http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bs3Nbv

Specwise that build looks more agreeable as long as it's within your budget. I noticed you threw in a modular power supply andlet me tell you working with that thing is going to be a dream. Since the cables are all removable, you can put in only the ones you need, and it really gets rid of a lot of cable clutter.

Y'all are seriously overestimating what is needed. 

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($136.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power S60 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 380 2GB IceQ X² OC Video Card  ($181.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $587.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 11:30 EDT-0400

TF2 can be maxed out on some APUs nowadays, so your 980tis are really kinda ridiculous. This build is capable of maxing out a lot of games at 1080p 60FPS. 

A locked i5 will beat a 9590 in the majority of games. Not to mention I wouldn't dare run an 8320 on that pos board. By the time you get a board capable of handling an FX8 properly, and a cooler to cool it, a locked i5 is cheaper and ends up being the better option. 

As for the builds being overkill, I said that over a page ago, but he still wants to go overkill. 

Archived