Users Permantly Banned From Backpack.tf Loses Access To The Forums

Hexlicious

>Title  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be implemented?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sure why this isn't already a thing, if you're permanently banned from the main site, why should you have access to the forums connected to that site?

Alternative Accounts are always a thing to bypass this, if it actually gets implemented, but that is pretty much the case for anything related to being banned.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh good god yes, without a doubt

This could/should reduce the amount of scammers, phishers, 'ekernermi iz dying' people and all-round idiots from invading the forums.

+1

Because i totally want to be restricted from forums if i was temp. banned for something not serious or even requested ban.

Edit: Thanks for changing the title. But my last phrase about requested bans is still here.

Because i totally want to be restricted from forums if i was temp. banned for something not serious or even requested ban.

Scammers/trading with scammers should definitely not be allowed in the trading forums. The point is to not let them to have access to common trading platforms

Depends on the ban, temporary bans no i think lol

Edited the post.

Edited the post to be more specific.

Also, if you're requesting a ban, I am pretty sure the moderators can fix to not have you banned on the forums. (unless it's a requested ban for both off course)

It has never been backpack.tf policy to restrict access to the forums for any reason, marked users are also welcome. The only requirement of people banned on the main site is that they do not use the forums to try to sell their items. The forums don't have a built in software for autobanning people if they join through steam with a specific account, so this would be impossible unless the user already had a forum account.

If this even were an easy thing to do, then you would be banning people like cranwell96, Cedar, and others who at some point were banned on the main site. I was even banned on the main site once, as part of a misunderstanding with an item history. 

So no, this is not a good idea.

I remember a thread back in late 2014, someone suggested that marked users be banned from the forums. Not even that vote passed. 

If I may call it as I see it, this is just a crusade for you to be able to get Debra permanently banned from the forums. You were just having an argument with him, and now suddenly you want all main site users banned. That's not the way to handle your problems.

Edited the post.

Edited the post to be more specific.

Also, if you're requesting a ban, I am pretty sure the moderators can fix to not have you banned on the forums. (unless it's a requested ban for both off course)

But still, why?

But still, why?

Because banned users have nothing to do on a forum connected to the site they are banned on.

Because banned users have nothing to do on a forum connected to the site they are banned on.

Yeah they do... Feel free to take a look at how much trading goes on on these forums.

Alternative Accounts are always a thing to bypass this, if it actually gets implemented, but that is pretty much the case for anything related to being banned.

No, if you're using the same IP but a different account, you'll still get banned.

HeavyLord is a good example. 

No, if you're using the same IP but a different account, you'll still get banned.

HeavyLord is a good example. 

You can still use dynamic IP, proxy, vpn etc to evade IP bans.

Yeah they do... Feel free to take a look at how much trading goes on on these forums.

You are just giving him a reason why those perma-banned users should be banned on these forums

You are just giving him a reason why those perma-banned users should be banned on these forums

Very little trading goes on on here...

Also going to quote Polar, this ain't going to happen.

'I think the mods here are pretty reasonable, particularly when it comes to allowing SR marked users to use the forums. I take a lot of heat from other community admins, other forum members, and strangers asking me all the time how I can justify this. But I have been steadfast in defending SR marked users time and time again, saying that just because someone is marked, particularly for trading with scammers and not scamming themselves, doesn't make them a bad person and someone to dump out of a community forum.'

You can still use dynamic IP, proxy, vpn etc to evade IP bans.

You need to pay to use programs that codes dynamic IP other than coding it yourself, vpn is long term but some site bans certain IP below a certain number count, you need to waste time to create alternate accounts to access the site to get banned again

You need to pay to use programs that codes dynamic IP other than coding it yourself, vpn is long term but some site bans certain IP below a certain number count, you need to waste time to create alternate accounts to access the site to get banned again

I have dynamic IP and so does everyone with a half decent ISP... It isn't expensive or hard to setup, it's actually much cheaper.

Then what is the point of the community forums? Parts of the forums have no connection to the site so banned users have plenty to do.

Just because they are banned doesn't mean they have no contribution to topics in the forums, there is plenty of stuff outside trading on the forums and banned users are still nice people generally.

Then what is the point of the community forums? Parts of the forums have no connection to the site so banned users have plenty to do.

Just because they are banned doesn't mean they have no contribution to topics in the forums, there is plenty of stuff outside trading on the forums and banned users are still nice people generally.

If you scam users that are apart of a community, or constantly trade users that have scammed others for your own gain, I don't feel you can call yourself part of that community anymore.

Very little trading goes on on here...

Also going to quote Polar, this ain't going to happen.

'I think the mods here are pretty reasonable, particularly when it comes to allowing SR marked users to use the forums. I take a lot of heat from other community admins, other forum members, and strangers asking me all the time how I can justify this. But I have been steadfast in defending SR marked users time and time again, saying that just because someone is marked, particularly for trading with scammers and not scamming themselves, doesn't make them a bad person and someone to dump out of a community forum.'

I have dynamic IP and so does everyone with a half decent ISP... It isn't expensive or hard to setup, it's actually much cheaper.

1: They should be banned from trading forums, lesser trades does not mean no trades. You can still profit off it and encouraging scammers or traders that trades actively with scammers to have a chance to profit isn't morally right

2. Lol, oh you are talking about ISP provided dynamic IPs, those IPs are very easy to ban. The first few parts are usually the same because the ISP you are using plugs numbers from the same residental area and assign to each device you are using. There's another form of dynamic IP which is really dynamic lol

1: They should be banned from trading forums, lesser trades does not mean no trades. You can still profit off it and encouraging scammers or traders that trades actively with scammers to have a chance to profit isn't morally right

2. Lol, oh you are talking about ISP provided dynamic IPs, those IPs are very easy to ban. The first few parts are usually the same because the ISP you are using plugs numbers from the same residental area and assign to each device you are using.

Which means banning it bans the range bans everyone on your ISP

No. So long as they aren't actively scamming or doing wrong things, it's fine. They are no harm and there are ways for them to evade bans if needed.

No. So long as they aren't actively scamming or doing wrong things, it's fine. They are no harm and there are ways for them to evade bans if needed.

Main forum is debatable, trading forums i feel is a no go for scammers/trading with scammers traders

Scammers/trading with scammers should definitely not be allowed in the trading forums. The point is to not let them to have access to common trading platforms

It is most definitely against our rules to use the forums for trading whilst banned on the main site (including scammers as marked people are automatically banned on the main site)

It has never been backpack.tf policy to restrict access to the forums for any reason, marked users are also welcome. The only requirement of people banned on the main site is that they do not use the forums to try to sell their items. The forums don't have a built in software for autobanning people if they join through steam with a specific account, so this would be impossible unless the user already had a forum account.

If this even were an easy thing to do, then you would be banning people like cranwell96, Cedar, and others who at some point were banned on the main site. I was even banned on the main site once, as part of a misunderstanding with an item history. 

So no, this is not a good idea.

I remember a thread back in late 2014, someone suggested that marked users be banned from the forums. Not even that vote passed. 

If I may call it as I see it, this is just a crusade for you to be able to get Debra permanently banned from the forums. You were just having an argument with him, and now suddenly you want all main site users banned. That's not the way to handle your problems.

It's actually not impossible to automatically restrict access for marked users, and it is a topic of discussion within the team whether or not marked users have a place here. Also, Cedar has never been marked, only cautioned.

Except that they are not allowed to use the trading section. If you see a marked user using the trading section please report them immediately

Archived