HELP! CREATING A PARTS LIST FOR A FRIEND

Vegan T-Rex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3VDbp.png

windows 8>windows 7

i kinda agree.

I installed windows 8 for my mother's computer, and the system noises sound so soothing.

and I actually like metro?!??!?!?!!!111?

My thoughts are

Slackware64>Windows 7>Windows 8

Windows 7 is a better business professional OS IMO. The Metro shit should have been in Windows 8 Home Prem/Starter/Tablet editions and left the true start menu (not the 8.1 shit) in Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise. I have had to switch to windows 8.1 pro on my work laptop to keep up with the people that went out and bought a new laptop and have no idea how to work with it cause its Windows 8. Took a few days for me to learn it well enough to troubleshoot, but all in all it still is the same as 7 after some tweaks. Just looks a bit different and start menu doesn't exist.

It was a drastic move by M$hit to remove the start menu and make a tablet OS as their dominant desktop OS.  They took a shot and it bit them in the ass then caved to social and consumer pressure about the start menu. EVERY OS has some sort of "start menu". IMO, taking the one thing that people have been using for nearly 20 years since the 3.1 days was a 1 in a million chance it would go over well. 

EVERY OS has some sort of "start menu". IMO, taking the one thing that people have been using for nearly 20 years since the 3.1 days was a 1 in a million chance it would go over well. 

OSX doesn't. 

MS problem is the way they handled it...

Metro is good for tablets. Swiping stuff to the edge of the screen to open/close/to random shit is good for tablets. MS needs to realize that most computers aren't touch screens (and that touch screen computers suck to use). 

Plus, the OS aside, computers running windows have some annoying physical flaws that tend to follow almost all windows computers. Usually they're bulky, with piss poor battery life. And for some reason they still think people want their trackpad all the way to one side of the computer for reasons that i can't even begin to understand. 

My thoughts are

Slackware64>Windows 7>Windows 8

Windows 7 is a better business professional OS IMO. The Metro shit should have been in Windows 8 Home Prem/Starter/Tablet editions and left the true start menu (not the 8.1 shit) in Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise. I have had to switch to windows 8.1 pro on my work laptop to keep up with the people that went out and bought a new laptop and have no idea how to work with it cause its Windows 8. Took a few days for me to learn it well enough to troubleshoot, but all in all it still is the same as 7 after some tweaks. Just looks a bit different and start menu doesn't exist.

It was a drastic move by M$hit to remove the start menu and make a tablet OS as their dominant desktop OS.  They took a shot and it bit them in the ass then caved to social and consumer pressure about the start menu. EVERY OS has some sort of "start menu". IMO, taking the one thing that people have been using for nearly 20 years since the 3.1 days was a 1 in a million chance it would go over well. 

people that care for the start button can just google up one. if the only complaint they have about not using windows 8 is that the start menu is gone, then they shouldnt even use computers imo. google today should be common knowledge

Google today should be common knowledge

Funny thing about that is, most people who are deemed good at computers (and often "professionals alike) don't know shit, they just know how to use google and pretend they know what they're talking about.

*Cough* Apple Geniuses *cough*

Funny thing about that is, most people who are deemed good at computers (and often "professionals alike) don't know shit, they just know how to use google and pretend they know what they're talking about.

yeah i know. i work with these things, and i mostly google the shit.

which is why i think there should be a google test before you can use internet. finding a start menu for w8 takes 2 seconds, and can disable the metro screen with the same menu

OSX doesn't. 

-snip-

piss poor battery life

How is the Apple menu not a "start" menu? Its an icon you click to access a menu of options/programs/commands. That to me says its a start menu-esque type feature. The only difference between the Apple Menu and Start Menu is the name and options within it. Other than that, they function the same.

Also, windows has a decent power management within the OS. My laptop running windows 7 and Slackware will last longer (about an hour longer) running W7 vs slack.

Christley, the same argument can be reversed, ya know. Most of the time people buying a pre-bought computer don't know how to use said computer and therefore would not know how to "Google" and apply fixes. They, most of the time, want shit to just work. They do not care enough to "fix" something that should be inherently there in the first place.

I will be the first to admit I dont remember the registry enough to drill through it and know exactly what key im looking for to fix something. However, I do know what im looking for when I google for the path to the reg key.

They, most of the time, want shit to just work.

And thats why so many people get Macs.... They're far more streamlined and in general run faster and more efficiently. I've got a 2007 MBP was a 2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo and 4gb of ddr2 ram, and it runs chrome/email/word/general-use programs far better than my 2010 xps 15 with a 1.8ghz i7-840qm (turbo'd to 3.2 ghz) with 8gb of ddr3 ram with an ssd. TBH, the thought has crossed my mind so many times to turn my xps into a hackintosh....but, then i'd lose compatibility for a whole bunch of games :3 Plus hackintosh's don't run quite as well as an actual mac kind of defeating the purpose. 

Also, Macs have a longer life (plastic macbook aside). My mac is still running strong even though its almost 7 years old. The only problem is it once in a while "crashes" (everything closes but the computer stays on) when its under heavy load (VLC running for hours, 1+ week since a restart, torrenting, steam, chrome, itunes)--fairly heavy considering it only has 4gb of ram and a dual core processor. And macs are far far easier to fix. Remove the bottom panel (or in my case, the palm rest/keyboard and have access to everything vs. windows which has hundreds of mini-panels covering various shit virtually requiring you to completely dismantle the entire computer to replace anything more than ram/hd).

Windows desperately needs to cut the crap out of the OS and streamline it down (but not screw with compatibility, because aside from being cheaper, thats the only reason people still buy a windows computer). And computer manufacturers need to streamline their cumbersome website with tens of choices for the same damn computer.

I'm not pretending I'm a professional.  ^_^

I just bought the Macbook because of the lifespan of Macbook > Windows laptop. Battery is important for me.

And it's small, excellent to put in a backpack.

I don't know shit about computer hardware. I could definitely not build my own computer.  ;)

They, most of the time, want shit to just work. They do not care enough to "fix" something that should be inherently there in the first place.

Truth right there.

But if there's something serious about my Macbook, I Google of course and try to fix it. In three years, nothing serious happened, luckily. Only the message about the battery service, it still goes for several hours, so mehh...

I will be the first to admit I dont remember the registry enough to drill through it and know exactly what key im looking for to fix something. However, I do know what im looking for when I google for the path to the reg key.

the registry? you search for windows 8 start menu, download one and voila. its done, and for metro screen its the same. and most menys come with the option to turn it off

And thats why so many people get Macs.... They're far more streamlined and in general run faster and more efficiently. I've got a 2007 MBP was a 2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo and 4gb of ddr2 ram, and it runs chrome/email/word/general-use programs far better than my 2010 xps 15 with a 1.8ghz i7-840qm (turbo'd to 3.2 ghz) with 8gb of ddr3 ram with an ssd. TBH, the thought has crossed my mind so many times to turn my xps into a hackintosh....but, then i'd lose compatibility for a whole bunch of games :3 Plus hackintosh's don't run quite as well as an actual mac kind of defeating the purpose. 

Also, Macs have a longer life (plastic macbook aside). My mac is still running strong even though its almost 7 years old. The only problem is it once in a while "crashes" (everything closes but the computer stays on) when its under heavy load (VLC running for hours, 1+ week since a restart, torrenting, steam, chrome, itunes)--fairly heavy considering it only has 4gb of ram and a dual core processor. And macs are far far easier to fix. Remove the bottom panel (or in my case, the palm rest/keyboard and have access to everything vs. windows which has hundreds of mini-panels covering various shit virtually requiring you to completely dismantle the entire computer to replace anything more than ram/hd).

Windows desperately needs to cut the crap out of the OS and streamline it down (but not screw with compatibility, because aside from being cheaper, thats the only reason people still buy a windows computer). And computer manufacturers need to streamline their cumbersome website with tens of choices for the same damn computer.

I will say that if i could get an i7 w/ 500-600 series GTX retina macbook and put slackware on it I would. Love the design of the MacBook hate the OS, although i do agree that the Mac OSX is definitely streamlined and virtually empty of bloatware, few minor exceptions. One of the reasons I prefer vanilla Linux (not Ubuntu) as a general purpose OS. Comes with nothing but what you want/choose in the OS at install.

As for the "tens of choices" I assume you are referring to Dell and the like for offering an assload of different CPU, RAM, storage options on the same model laptop. But what about the choices you get when you get a macbook? Apple just offers a baseline and can customize it after the fact. Same principle IMO. http://store.apple.com/us/configure/ME665LL/A?

Almost every manufacturer offers upgrades to CPU/Ram/Storage etc.

@Christley, I was commenting on people that are pros googling for fixes. Not a comment in relation to the windows 8 start menu. sorry for the confusion.

I will say that if i could get an i7 w/ 500-600 series GTX retina macbook and put slackware on it I would. Love the design of the MacBook hate the OS, although i do agree that the Mac OSX is definitely streamlined and virtually empty of bloatware, few minor exceptions. One of the reasons I prefer vanilla Linux (not Ubuntu) as a general purpose OS. Comes with nothing but what you want/choose in the OS at install.

As for the "tens of choices" I assume you are referring to Dell and the like for offering an assload of different CPU, RAM, storage options on the same model laptop. But what about the choices you get when you get a macbook? Apple just offers a baseline and can customize it after the fact. Same principle IMO. http://store.apple.com/us/configure/ME665LL/A?

Almost every manufacturer offers upgrades to CPU/Ram/Storage etc.

@Christley, I was commenting on people that are pros googling for fixes. Not a comment in relation to the windows 8 start menu. sorry for the confusion.

I happen to love osx, not a huge fan of lion/mountain lion though....still running snow leopard. And i would never get a retina mac. I love the design, a nice streamlined version of the regular mbp, however, you can't fix shit on it as everything is soldered to the mb. So if anything goes wrong you need to have apple fix it, which means that you really need to get apples protection plan ($350). 

What i don't like about dell is they have tiered options, and each one can be customized differently, and often times one customization ends up being better and cheaper than another depending on which level you start from...its just fucking frustarting. And dell isn't alone. Apple on the other hand, give you 2 base options, and thats really it. The only custimization they offer is hd/ram, which isn't bad. Dell, for example should change the system to 3 tiered pre-builds and one that you can customize. Again, its not the customization that bothers me...its the way its done---different starting levels, and you never truly know which one you should start with until you've tried them all. 

Agreed about dell. 

Then again, I will never buy another dell if i can help it. Shitty pieces of plastic with off brand quality components slapped together in haste to get a new product line out. 

As for Retina MBP, thats why I said if they come with what i want I'd get it. I wouldn't want to fuck with it after I got it. 1TB mSata w/ GTX770m and 16GB memory is my ideal gamer/everyday user in a laptop. 16GB is for virtual machines if I need a windows OS or Mac OS vm. 

Agreed about dell. 

Then again, I will never buy another dell if i can help it. Shitty pieces of plastic with off brand quality components slapped together in haste to get a new product line out. 

As for Retina MBP, thats why I said if they come with what i want I'd get it. I wouldn't want to fuck with it after I got it. 1TB mSata w/ GTX770m and 16GB memory is my ideal gamer/everyday user in a laptop. 16GB is for virtual machines if I need a windows OS or Mac OS vm. 

Unfortunately, its not only dell. In general windows computers feel like flimsy pieces of trash. Sony and Lenovo are the exceptions. Sony being overpriced as fuck, but having a similar build quality to apple; and lenovo being a nice solid construction, although still could live without the plastic feel. 

And, the retina mac still isn't worth it. The standard mac can get the exact same specs, the only exception being the screen--which isn't that critical.

Can't wait for the new mbp to come out (supposedly september-october). And with any luck apple will give a really nice gpu as an option. I do, however, wish that apple would actually say what processor they're giving you...

By the way, any idea about oc'g on a mac? Is it even possible with their locked down efi? Seriously considering oc'g my mac (or at least testing out an oc--and seeing how hot the cpu gets) as i could really use some more power. Probably isn't viable at all do to apple being so over-protective, and the fact that macs run hot to begin with. 

Specs: 2007 MBP 

Intel Core 2 duo 2.2 Ghz 4mb l2 cache'

4gb 667mhz ddr2 ram

128mb  gt8600m

No idea on Oc'ing a MBP. Never even read anything about it. You can OC the CPU in a hackintosh at the BIOS level and it reads the same, but I do not know about actual Apple hardware. Brings in mind the Futurama episode where Bender gets overclocked and Mom comes after him. 

Asus builds some quality stuff. Just recently got to play with the G750 and though it is bulky as hell, feel really nice and solid.

Sony is so-so on quality to me. The new Vaios are build with the plastic unibody shell and lenovo shifted from plastic to carbon fiber in some instances. Not exactly what I would call durable material for something meant to be portable.

I like the retina display MBP, you may not like it, but I like the screen.  

EDIT: After some googling, the irony, the EFI bios on the MBP is locked and cannot be altered. So no, you cannot OC MBP. You can overclock the nvidia card using afterburner or precision x in a bootcamp session but other than that, no dice.

Sony is so-so on quality to me. The new Vaios are build with the plastic unibody shell and lenovo shifted from plastic to carbon fiber in some instances. Not exactly what I would call durable material for something meant to be portable.

I like the retina display MBP, you may not like it, but I like the screen.  

Haven't seen a sony laptop in a couple years, so things may have changed, but in 2010 the vaio z was pretty sweet. 

I like the retina screen too.....its just not worth the extra money/inability to fix it. Apple ssds are just wayyyy overpriced, and usually aren't even that amazing. 

Haven't seen a sony laptop in a couple years, so things may have changed, but in 2010 the vaio z was pretty sweet. 

I like the retina screen too.....its just not worth the extra money/inability to fix it. Apple ssds are just wayyyy overpriced, and usually aren't even that amazing. 

who said anything about using an Apple SSD? I want the Corsair mSata SSD. Fuck using the Apple branded Toshiba SSD. 

who said anything about using an Apple SSD? I want the Corsair mSata SSD. Fuck using the Apple branded Toshiba SSD. 

Too bad you don't have a choice when you buy a retina mac.

EDIT: oc'g the gpu wouldn't be very helpful as i don't use my mbp for gaming. Although any idea about oc'g the ram or is that just a terrible idea in a laptop due to virtually no air circulation near the ram modules? I'm guessing my ram is the real bottleneck running at only 667mhz. Also, if i have to do it through bootcamp, then theres no real value in oc'g, since i'm no longer running osx, i might as well just use my dell, also, i've always found bootcamp to slow things down to begin with. 

Again, i want choice in buying the Apple shell and filling it with better quality components. Hence why I will likely never own an Apple product.

Need to get into the BIOS for ram changes etc. So no RAM OC either.

Archived