How do people get so rich???

jneb900

i consider a backpack to be rich when the owner can buy whatever he wants whenever he wants (excluding those insanely high priced unusuals).

and i got to that point from a few weapons to 1500$ bp and 60 new steam games (paid with tf2 keys) in about 2½ years. its all about knowing the market, what to invest in. and how to do it

im at that point (7 months) :3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So since Im still fairly poor, the best way to make some profit would be flipping stranges?

Or burgers.

Stranges work, and high tier genuine promo flipping 'can' be profitable too.

You could always use a gift wrap scam on someone who doesn't know how to report you.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/12627749

(Yes, I regret wasting ten minutes trying to help him because he's just too incompetent to make a SteamRep report.)

Really there are heaps of ways. Personally I tried trading for a little bit but much of my value is from things that I wanted rising. My Strange Festive Knife I bought with eight keys to use, for example. Now it's worth much more. As many above have said, it's ultimately about experience. Once you're experienced enough, it's not terribly hard but extremely tedious.

It can also help to know people in real life. For example, someone I know wanted a Ghosts Noh Mercy a few months ago. I bought it for him for about $500 because I knew that now it'd be much more expensive (it's probably about $700-$800 now) and got him to pay me back that $500 for it.

Oh, and I'm sufficiently wealthy in real life so have real money to invest whenever I do actually see an item that I want going cheap. ;) No, Baloo. I don't care about what some traders think of that. I'm much more interested in playing TF2 than trading. :P

You could always use a gift wrap scam on someone who doesn't know how to report you.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/12627749

(Yes, I regret wasting ten minutes trying to help him because he's just too incompetent to make a SteamRep report.)

Really there are heaps of ways. Personally I tried trading for a little bit but much of my value is from things that I wanted rising. My Strange Festive Knife I bought with eight keys to use, for example. Now it's worth much more. As many above have said, it's ultimately about experience. Once you're experienced enough, it's not terribly hard but extremely tedious.

It can also help to know people in real life. For example, someone I know wanted a Ghosts Noh Mercy a few months ago. I bought it for him for about $500 because I knew that now it'd be much more expensive (it's probably about $700-$800 now) and got him to pay me back that $500 for it.

Oh, and I'm sufficiently wealthy in real life so have real money to invest whenever I do actually see an item that I want going cheap. ;) No, Baloo. I don't care about what some traders think of that. I'm much more interested in playing TF2 than trading. :P

gonna help that kid and report that guy to steamrep

edit: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198052501579-ryno%E2%9C%BF-worstspyugc.38718/

If it didn't take forever to receive a decent non lowball offer in pure buds/keys I could be making a nice profit flipping tools and using the profit to by my favourite unusuals. Tools seem to be in more demand and are easier to buy slightly below market price.

gonna help that kid and report that guy to steamrep

edit: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198052501579-ryno%E2%9C%BF-worstspyugc.38718/

I thought about doing that but decided not to bother in case if SteamRep asked for complete confirmation such as a screenshot of the victim's trade history during the time of the scam. Talking to the victim is where I had trouble (he just gave up and didn't respond or do anything). Hope it goes well and that he actually stays marked this time!

I thought about doing that but decided not to bother in case if SteamRep asked for complete confirmation such as a screenshot of the victim's trade history during the time of the scam. Talking to the victim is where I had trouble (he just gave up and didn't respond or do anything). Hope it goes well and that he actually stays marked this time!

Report him to OP, even if he doesn't get marked, OP should ban him since its pretty obvious what happened.

BP Expanders ;_;

And thats why you need to get your pricing perfect. If done right you can always keep 2/3 in your inventory at any given time. Since if your prices are right you should be buying and selling at the same rate--so with only 2/3 you won't take a huge loss if something happens.

Well I used the money I didn't need in real life from my job to buy my some nice unusuals and everything. Made some profit through trading as well. But the good thing is, you can cash out everytime, so your money isn't lost, it's just invested.

Until TF3 happens...

Or burgers.

Stranges work, and high tier genuine promo flipping 'can' be profitable too.

No Genuines and Vintages at the moment...

Ultimately, buy unusuals, flip them for more unusuals and just keep upgrading. 

Everyones after unusuals, and getting unusual quicksells is pretty hard. And even when they came around there usually only leave about  a 20-30% profit margin. Alternatively, you can flip backpacks, which can easily leave you with a 50% profit margin. Albeit flipping backpacks is a bit more time consuming since you have a lot of items you have to deal with, theres also a lot less competition. As a general rule the only unusuals you're getting from quicksellers are cancerous crap thats either highly flooded on the market or has virtually no demand.

This is so true...however in my case i tell my friends what to buy/sell and they are rich =_= (i dont have time to be trading)

Think best time to get decent quicksales is the beginning of events or during cuz everyone wants to cash out, i got my friend to make around 8 buds in profits in the course of a week from people wanting pure xD

no personal experience but low craft nos tend to bring decent profits as well :D

i used to have a pessimistic view on the market. the downward trend is slow and steady, and a hit is not immediate. A big disaster would be EU collapsing, china bubble burst or japan failed to revive. 

i have started to cash out and it is a very slow process. however i dont think each sales dont take 15 minutes. Under 5$ i almost dont check at all. Only doing things properly for big sales, however i still think im missing out sales for being too careful. Mostly its the talk that take time. On average i think -10 mins / sales. However sometimes i cant pass on good qs cash deals, so its taking forever to cash out.

even thought im making some profit on this tf2 madness. i still dont see it being worthwhile. My bp is too big to manage, just not enough resource to trade that much. The next critical size to be self-sustainable would be to set up tf2shop or scrap.tf equivalent scales and bots. 

ive spent $5, and 7 months later ive cashed out $120, and have an $850-900 or so backpack remaining. Its entirely possible but takes a bunch of time. Ive made like $200-300 taking risks on these new effects, so it'd probably be longer without them

i just cant figure those new unusuals out, im so bad at it. perhaps im not taking enough risk

This is so true...however in my case i tell my friends what to buy/sell and they are rich =_= (i dont have time to be trading)

Think best time to get decent quicksales is the beginning of events or during cuz everyone wants to cash out, i got my friend to make around 8 buds in profits in the course of a week from people wanting pure xD

no personal experience but low craft nos tend to bring decent profits as well  :D

i will be saving up...

Im trying to flip Strange Rocket Launchers, but I can only get like a scrap profit since they're a ton lower then I thought. So what's a really good strange to flip?

Im trying to flip Strange Rocket Launchers, but I can only get like a scrap profit since they're a ton lower then I thought. So what's a really good strange to flip?

RL, Scatter, Sniper, Eyelander, Knife, Sticky. 

Also, how are you only making 1 scrap on RLs....

Report him to OP, even if he doesn't get marked, OP should ban him since its pretty obvious what happened.

And thats why you need to get your pricing perfect. If done right you can always keep 2/3 in your inventory at any given time. Since if your prices are right you should be buying and selling at the same rate--so with only 2/3 you won't take a huge loss if something happens.

He's been reported multiple times on AP. It's just autpost shitlord admins still haven't banned him yet

He's been reported multiple times on AP. It's just autpost shitlord admins still haven't banned him yet

I really hate OP admins.....

they're beyond un-fucking-predictable. 

i have to agree with this. ive been bombed atleast twice by some asshole in 7 of my trades at the same time. they didnt do shit about it, even after a week and i left the posts open.

i commented on a guys price (selling uncraftable fedora for bud) and i was banned 48 hours within 2 hours of me making it

Can say that again, ive reported over 10 people in the past week who have invalid trades asking for donations or have been faking c/os and "miss quoting" prices by a few buds. Not banned still up...

I tried that. :P

Nothing happened.

Nothing happened.

Naturally.....OP needs to come up with a standard set of guidelines as to how they treat reports and bans....really sick of the inconsistency. 

Naturally.....OP needs to come up with a standard set of guidelines as to how they treat reports and bans....really sick of the inconsistency.

AwesomeMcCoolName for outpost admin/mod 2013!!!! :D

Finally getting shit done by ban dem annoying/sharking/trolling bitches

i have to agree with this. ive been bombed atleast twice by some asshole in 7 of my trades at the same time. they didnt do shit about it, even after a week and i left the posts open.

i commented on a guys price (selling uncraftable fedora for bud) and i was banned 48 hours within 2 hours of me making it

Can say that again, ive reported over 10 people in the past week who have invalid trades asking for donations or have been faking c/os and "miss quoting" prices by a few buds. Not banned still up...

Nothing happened.

AwesomeMcCoolName for outpost admin/mod 2013!!!! :D

Finally getting shit done by ban dem annoying/sharking/trolling bitches

autposters

So, I am sure topics like this have been made. But I was wondering what you guys with unusuals how you made your money. Right now my main goal is to get an unusual (preferably for soldier) and those are expensive. So if you have any tips on what you did to get yours please leave them below.

Archived