How do people get so rich???

jneb900

Ok whenever I log onto a server, I eventually die like everyone. So im just scrolling through all the players, and always see an insanely rich guy, with tons earbuds, strange festive weapons, vintage things, painted unusuals, etc. So I look up the prices of some stuff and unusuals, and see that the CHEAPEST unusual is THREE EARBUDS!!!! How on Earth do people get so much metal/keys to pay for those??? 

Scrapbanking would be good, but I cant find a good place to sell them.

Do they buy them with real money? Because that would cost at least $300.... (Buds worth around $100 on Steam market)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real money most of the time.. It's very rare that people with $1000+ bp's have traded their way to the top these days..

That, or sharking lol.

False, most people have been trading a long time. Its all about flipping items and its rather easy. Once have the capital of roughly ~10-12 keys you have the ability to flip items to make about a bud a month easily if you know what you're doing. Most unusual traders don't respect those who used money to become wealthy such as Mattie who basically bought his backpack.

You're post is also highly flawed with inaccuracies and misinformation.

1) Buds are not sold on the steam market and even if they were, they'd sell for roughly $50 since keys sell for roughly $2.30

2) The cheapest unusuals sell for 11 keys or sometimes less (a.k.a. half a bud)

3) Scrapbanking is literally one of the worst ways one could hope to profit due to scrap.tf and numerous other reasons such as the minute profit gained.

Also, a link to jneb900 since I'm sure some are curious: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198068844434

False, most people have been trading a long time. Its all about flipping items and its rather easy. Once have the capital of roughly ~10-12 keys you have the ability to flip items to make about a bud a month easily if you know what you're doing. Most unusual traders don't respect those who used money to become wealthy such as Mattie who basically bought his backpack.

You're post is also highly flawed with inaccuracies and misinformation.

1) Buds are not sold on the steam market and even if they were, they'd sell for roughly $50 since keys sell for roughly $2.30

2) The cheapest unusuals sell for 11 keys or sometimes less (a.k.a. half a bud)

3) Scrapbanking is literally one of the worst ways one could hope to profit due to scrap.tf and numerous other reasons such as the minute profit gained.

Also, a link to jneb900 since I'm sure some are curious: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198068844434

erm, no buds are not sold in the market, but they are sold on sites like sourceOP or the TF2shop for example.

and lots of people buy them.. I've been trading since trading began and most of the people I know with expensive backpacks buy buds with cash.

the fact is, if you want to trade your way to huge profit, it is a full time job. Most people have real lives/real jobs and it's pretty much impossible to spend 40+ hours a week selling paint etc or flipping items for 1+2 keys profit all day every day..

My post is not 'Highly flawed' at all, please explain. And no offence to you but you only started playing TF2 a year ago You don't really have a clue lol.

erm, no buds are not sold in the market, but they are sold on sites like sourceOP or the TF2shop for example.

and lots of people buy them.. I've been trading since trading began and most of the people I know with expensive backpacks buy buds with cash.

the fact is, if you want to trade your way to huge profit, it is a full time job. Most people have real lives/real jobs and it's pretty much impossible to spend 40+ hours a week selling paint etc or flipping items for 1+2 keys profit all day every day..

My post is not 'Highly flawed' at all, please explain.

The part where I said the post was highly flawed I was talking about the original post. I would think the 3 reasons following would give that away. Also there are plenty of people in cash trading that spend their own money, however, its money they've already gained from selling their own items and then reinvesting for cash flipping. Also paints is not the way to go if you want to flip. Stranges are much easier and more profitable.

Either using money to get a start...or sharking

I can think of no other way

Jesus Christ people not everyone starts with sharking. Its a highly small minority of low life people. To even be able to shark someone of their item you need items to start with. Its called flipping. Only have scrap in your backpack? Buy wrap assassins for 1 scrap and resell them for 2 scrap. Now you have reclaimeds, so buy eye landers for 2 reclaimed and sell for a refined. Now you have refined, so buy flare guns for 4.33 refined and resell for a key. Now you have keys, so buy Sappers for 4.5 keys and resell for 6 keys. Now you have enough keys for buds.

My post is not 'Highly flawed' at all, please explain. And no offence to you but you only started playing TF2 a year ago You don't really have a clue lol.

Mehh, i've gotta disagree with you a bit. I've been trading for over 2 years now, and made close to 5k without spending a dime. Not to say i haven't also tried my hand at flipping currencies, but flipping currencies isn't really worthwhile. 

Theres a huge issue when it comes to flipping currency and that is that the margins are quite small, and its fairly easy to end up buying hijacked items (and with smart hijackers, you really can't tell they've been hijacked since good hijackers sell the items from the account they belong to). Then theres also the risk when selling items, although once you get good at pp trading there really is no risk of selling, aside from when a person gets hijacked and the hijacker buys through a legit account. 

Ultimately, buy unusuals, flip them for more unusuals and just keep upgrading. That tends to be the best way to make profit. I'm not knocking flipping currencies as being lucrative, because it definitely can be. The issue is that you're working on 10%~ profit margins (less if you have virtually no rep), which when you factor in the fact that you can be buying hijacked items (which valve will take away), or could be selling to either a legit account controlled by a hijacker, or a scammer really isn't enough of a margin to be worthwhile. And these issues get SO much worse if you don't have a lot of experience with paypal trading.

If you'd rather avoid dealing with unusuals you can also flip backpacks. Theres tons of profit to be made there. Everyones after unusuals, and getting unusual quicksells is pretty hard. And even when they came around there usually only leave about  a 20-30% profit margin. Alternatively, you can flip backpacks, which can easily leave you with a 50% profit margin. Albeit flipping backpacks is a bit more time consuming since you have a lot of items you have to deal with, theres also a lot less competition. As a general rule the only unusuals you're getting from quicksellers are cancerous crap thats either highly flooded on the market or has virtually no demand.

So, either flipping backpacks, or building your way up the unusual ladder starting with a cancerous unusual can lead to some nice easy safe profit.  

I hate to sound totally rude, but your backpack isn't worth very much. if it was so easy to make all of this wondrous profit from nothing, why haven't you?

the op asked specifically about how to get rich. he's talking about lots of unusuals, lots of buds, not a 30-40 refined metals a month... If it was so easy to get so rich the way you guys are explaining, then there would be no economy at all..

Don't get me wrong, it's totally possible to make nice profit from nothing. but for 10+ unusuals and lots of buds? it would take a huge amount of hours/ months or even years to make such profit without buying things with real cash

I hate to sound totally rude, but your backpack isn't worth very much. if it was so easy to make all of this wondrous profit from nothing, why haven't you?

Because no one ever cashes out right? 

Because no one ever cashes out right? 

No of course they do, but I mean you've never been 'rich' looking at your bp history. Neither have I lol, but rich in my book is $4000+ bp.

No of course they do, but I mean you've never been 'rich' looking at your bp history. Neither have I lol, but rich in my book is $4000+ bp.

Because the only time my bp value was ever above $1000 was before backpack.tf existed. I did the bulk of my trading between June 2011-April 2012. Backpack.tf didn't really get big until the summer of 2012. And in March i started to deal with paypal and kept selling stuff off, and never actually left more than $1000+/- in TF2. 

Cool. I'm not doubting you.

Just my point still stands. If it was as easy as you guys are saying to make such easy big profit. why isn't this a full time job for you? I'd be a self employed tf2 trader if it was that easy :P - Selling things takes time, can take weeks to sell an unusual just to make a 10 key profit for example. Most people that buy unusuals know the market anyway, and are looking for good deals themselves...

then you need to find another one, which might not sell for a profit, and if it does, could take ages...Anything takes a while to sell for a profit no matter what it is really... Buying someones bp for example and selling that off, just not worth the effort at all imo. too much bullshit.

Cool. I'm not doubting you.

Just my point still stands. If it was as easy as you guys are saying to make such easy big profit. why isn't this a full time job for you? I'd be a self employed tf2 trader if it was that easy :P - Selling things takes time, can take weeks to sell an unusual just to make a 10 key profit for example. Most people that buy unusuals know the market anyway, and are looking for good deals themselves...

then you need to find another one, which might not sell for a profit, and if it does, could take ages...Anything takes a while to sell for a profit no matter what it is really... Buying someones bp for example and selling that off, just not worth the effort at all imo. too much bullshit.

Its not that it takes time, you just need to be able to get online on a regular basis. The past year i wasn't able/willing to be at my computer every night/day to deal with any trades i'd have to make. Plus, i had fully cashed out of unusuals last summer, and getting back into the unusual market is a pain in the ass, since every time i actually managed to find a quicksell unusual i almost immediately sold it for a pretty big overpay in items, or top dollar in pure. So, i was never able to work my way up again. And then to add to the fact that i wasn't able to get onto steam on a daily basis to check up on things, i also started to get really sick of the condescending arrogant assholes tf2 is now full of (far far more than before). 

The whole "time-consuming" argument is a bit interesting.

• Paypal trades are actually quite time consuming as they each time at least 15 minutes and require you to actually pay attention (research, trade, record).
  • Regular item trades (hats/stranges) are quick and take around 30 seconds each, but usually you need to make a bunch of these, and they add up to around 30-90 minutes a day (depending on how many items/your prices), which isn't too bad, but the problem is its rarely all at once, so you often need to be available at all times of the day (although its entirely possible to go on during a 1-hour period every day and deal with most everyone all at once). 
  • Unusual trades are usually more drawn out that regular trades. They're usually similar to paypal trades (time-wise, although they don't require as much attention). Especially since most of the unusual trading process occurs via a forum/trading site. 
  • Finally currency flipping, part of paypal trading, but i always like to separate it. This is the steadiest form of profit, but it has small margins and is quite time consuming, and quite risky. And if your prices are right (both buy/sell) you could literally be busy constantly as each buy/sell takes 15 minutes, and if your prices are right you should have no problem buying/selling constantly. 

Real money most of the time.. It's very rare that people with $1000+ bp's have traded their way to the top these days..

That, or sharking lol.

ive spent $5, and 7 months later ive cashed out $120, and have an $850-900 or so backpack remaining. Its entirely possible but takes a bunch of time. Ive made like $200-300 taking risks on these new effects, so it'd probably be longer without them

Hm, I sharked nubs in the beginning until I had an ~ 2 bud bp. Then I did quickbuying trades for a while. Got up to a 4 buds bp. Then trade.tf happened.

Well I used the money I didn't need in real life from my job to buy my some nice unusuals and everything. Made some profit through trading as well. But the good thing is, you can cash out everytime, so your money isn't lost, it's just invested.

But the good thing is, you can cash out everytime, so your money isn't lost, it's just invested.

Until the economy finally collapses and everything goes to shit. Someone is going to have to take that hit. 

Until the economy finally collapses and everything goes to shit. Someone is going to have to take that hit. 

Well investing in something is always a risk somewhere. :P

I'm willing to take that hit. 300 unusuals here I come.

I'm willing to take that hit. 300 unusuals here I come.

Hehe as soon as the tf2 economy dies im going on and gonna buy hundreds of keys and unusuals for like $5-10.

but rich in my book is $4000+ bp.

While that is true. A vast majority of players have less then 200$ bps. I consider anything about 800$ as having a rich bp. 

And not alot of people want a 4k bp. I had one and its not fun when you want to cash out. Takes very long especially if you have alot of stuff to sell. 

But people get rich by knowing the market and knowing when to take an offer and when not to take an offer. Being able to assume how much an item can get easily or with time. 

Being able to pricecheck accurately yourself is also key because when it comes to unusuals thats a must skill.

If you check my bp history you can see i made a steady rise to 4+ k in bp value since last December from a 200$ bp. (own alot to andy for help)

I flip items which is easy as long as you have time and the capital. The more pure and the richer you are the easier and faster profit is 

i consider a backpack to be rich when the owner can buy whatever he wants whenever he wants (excluding those insanely high priced unusuals).

and i got to that point from a few weapons to 1500$ bp and 60 new steam games (paid with tf2 keys) in about 2½ years. its all about knowing the market, what to invest in. and how to do it

Archived