Skrub (Me) + Computer Building = Help please

Polo

how is that even close to 800$? that sounds more like 1-1.1k

idk what my price for it was, nor do i know the brand. because here in sweden we dont have like 50% of the brands america has.

but he did say in his post that he would prefer it to be 800usd. and a modular psu is one of the last things id invest in. 50$ for some extra space, no thanks. rather spend that extra cash on an ssd.

Hence why the build I suggested has an SSD.

But the price difference between a modular PSU and non-modular isn't that great. Maybe $20, and in my opinion, that's definitely worth it.

And the Define R4 is a great case! I want one really badly (the black one with the window), but it's $120, so it definitely won't work for him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hence why the build I suggested has an SSD.

But the price difference between a modular PSU and non-modular isn't that great. Maybe $20, and in my opinion, that's definitely worth it.

And the Define R4 is a great case! I want one really badly (the black one with the window), but it's $120, so it definitely won't work for him.

the one without the window is like 30$ cheaper. idk why.

well, then we dont share the same opinion about modular ones. ill try to find a picture of my computer when i was building and you'll see why i dont believe so

3L09B.jpg

only wire going over the motherboard is the god damn hd audio cable that you can never route properly because its not long enough

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1k7lF

This has good quality parts. If the price is too high, you don't have to buy the SSD (Samsung 840), but it will make it a lot faster!

Amd is poop. And he wont need a cpu cooler the heatsink and fan that comes standard with the intel chips are perfectly fine. 

But its also another good option. (but amd is poop)

the one without the window is like 30$ cheaper. idk why.

well, then we dont share the same opinion about modular ones. ill try to find a picture of my computer when i was building and you'll see why i dont believe so

3L09B.jpg

only wire going over the motherboard is the god damn hd audio cable that you can never route properly because its not long enough

Looks alright neater then mine. I didnt really bother to hide the power cables with the cable housing.

But yea I agree with you, I don't think modular is worth the extra dish when on a budget

Amd is poop. And he wont need a cpu cooler the heatsink and fan that comes standard with the intel chips are perfectly fine. 

AMD isn't poop. It has its uses too (if you're on more of a budget)

obviously its not the best compared to an intel processor 

What andy said. I'll find some benchmarks for you. Although I use an i7 quad core, and I know the 3570K is faster, just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2Voo5h3eU

And I used the 6300, which is slightly faster and more efficient than the 6100. 

And I put the Hyper 212 EVO in there so he can overclock, and he'll get slightly better FPS for like $20. Worth it imo

Quick $1K that will last a good long while.

Cheap Intel gamer

Can probably find some of the parts cheaper than from newegg. Also around $20-40 savings in rebates + bundle savings

Can also change the micro board for a fullsize board if you choose and get the 4670k and still be under a grand if you do want to overclock.

4GB 760GTX should last you years before games actually will not run with decent FPS.

Quick $1K that will last a good long while.

Cheap Intel gamer

Can probably find some of the parts cheaper than from newegg. Also around $20-40 savings in rebates + bundle savings

Can also change the micro board for a fullsize board if you choose and get the 4670k and still be under a grand if you do want to overclock.

4GB 760GTX should last you years before games actually will not run with decent FPS.

You could save $30 by not using the Hyper 212 EVO

There is no reason to buy it, as you cannot overclock with that chip and motherboard.

I said that he could change to a full atx board and 4670k if he wanted to overclock. 

The stock coolers that come with the CPUs suck. Its 30 bucks for superior cooling. My opinion is buy one and be better off in the end.

I said that he could change to a full atx board and 4670k if he wanted to overclock. 

The stock coolers that come with the CPUs suck. Its 30 bucks for superior cooling. My opinion is buy one and be better off in the end.

The stock coolers are terrible, but Intel wouldn't release a stock cooler that doesn't work at stock speeds. 

And I don't think that 4GB of VRAM on the 760 is necessary. I think 2 will work just as well.

This is true, but I would rather be safe than sorry, Intel isn't know of their coolers other than them being POS. 

Not necessary, but definitely a bonus in a budget build. He is wanting the max frames he can get, while clock speeds give him better performance, the extra memory will help with large renders like Skyrim's open world or MLL's ri-god damn-diculous settings. Besides, if it can fit in the build and budget why not? It can only help him in the end and in the long run. 

This is true, but I would rather be safe than sorry, Intel isn't know of their coolers other than them being POS. 

Not necessary, but definitely a bonus in a budget build. He is wanting the max frames he can get, while clock speeds give him better performance, the extra memory will help with large renders like Skyrim's open world or MLL's ri-god damn-diculous settings. Besides, if it can fit in the build and budget why not? It can only help him in the end and in the long run. 

I guess I agree with the Hyper 212. But for the 4GB, I dunno. I don't think you're going to be bottlenecked by the 2 GB from buffer on that card. Remember, the 680 had a 2GB frame buffer (well, most of them), and I haven't heard of anybody being bottlenecked by that at 1080p. The 760 has a fairly small memory bus, and I think that's going to give you far more issues than the 2GB frame buffer in terms of future-proofing.

Either way, here's another option for $1000. I managed to fit a 770 into it, and get an Intel quad core, with a (semi) modular 600W PSU and Define R4. But, yet again, it's $1000, and he wants $800. But if he does spend $1000, I would go with this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kxfX

Here's another one that's slightly cheaper and more futureproof.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kxYe

I didn't know what monitor he has, hell he may end up getting a korean IPS 2560x1600 res monitor and end up needing the extra memory.

I don't think he will have a bottleneck either on 2GB, nor 4. I was just stating if he ends up spending the extra money why not go with 4GB just to secure the future instead of spending a little less upfront? Most of the people i build gaming rigs for that have a budget usually are not going to upgrade PCs or parts for years. So future proofing in the beginning is something I have learned to include while still keeping in the budget.

Yeah. Check my second build a posted. 7970 is very future proofed and performs very well at very high resolution. 3GB VRAM + 384 bit memory bus.

The 760 wouldn't be a good card for 2560x1600 because of it's small memory bus. Although 192-bit doesn't bottleneck much at 1080p, it'll bottleneck the hell out of the card on 2560x1600, and 256-bit does too.

I cant say that I would suggest any AMD card. Had two 6970s and they sucked, traded them for a pair of 580s (currently running). Drivers for the AMD cards are awful, just absolutely awful.

I cant say that I would suggest any AMD card. Had two 6970s and they sucked, traded them for a pair of 580s (currently running). Drivers for the AMD cards are awful, just absolutely awful.

I had a 6770 and didn't have a single problem with the drivers. I'm guessing that your problems were more with Crossfire. But people are saying AMD's drivers are stable now, so I dunno.

cant really agree with this. my brother runs single 7770 and i have a computer running 2x 7770. no driver issues at all. and eyefinity>>>>>>nvidia suround.

but my main rig runs 660 because i need the most silence possible. and that card does so. amd does not.

but i would never say you shouldnt get any amd card. all have their preference, and when doing multi setups, amd destroys nvidia

cant really agree with this. my brother runs single 7770 and i have a computer running 2x 7770. no driver issues at all. and eyefinity>>>>>>nvidia suround.

but my main rig runs 660 because i need the most silence possible. and that card does so. amd does not.

but i would never say you shouldnt get any amd card. all have their preference, and when doing multi setups, amd destroys nvidia

I think how loud the card is depends on the cooler you use lol

I dont like surround or eyefinity. Havent found monitors that reduce the bezel correction to near nothing. I hate having 1-2" of black space between screens. Even the thin bezel monitors have too much for me to purchase them. I have 2 extra monitors sitting in my closet because I hated having the black lines in the middle of my screen. 

Also, after i got rid of my AMD cards I lost all interest in keeping up with the drivers. Back when I have my 6970s the drivers were absolute shit. What they are now, I do not know. But I will never personally recommend any AMD graphics card to anyone just based on my experience. 

As to the noise, I have to agree with There on his one. My 6970s were outfitted with aftermarket coolers from Arctic Cooling and they were very quiet. My 580s have stock reference coolers on them and are quite loud. 

Na, i am a firm believer that if AMD didn't make quality stuff they wouldn't have survived this long against nVidia. 

I just personally do not care for them. 

I think how loud the card is depends on the cooler you use lol

yeah, and all amd coolers usually sound like a jetplane when overclocked to me. took me 4 months to find a good one that suited my db levels. so with stock coolers (including asus, msi etc) i cant stand amd for a allround machine.

and pyro: there are atleast one monitor with less than a cm of a bezel which im planning on getting. but same with noise lvls, its all personal opinion

and pyro: there are atleast one monitor with less than a cm of a bezel which im planning on getting. but same with noise lvls, its all personal opinion

got a link? do they come in IPS 1440p res?

got a link? do they come in IPS 1440p res?

dont even think sweden have 1440p yet that arent from korea and has shit quality.

samsung md230. but its c-pva and not ips

Archived