Do you believe in (Any) God?

Final2500

If you could also explain why you do/don't believe in god i'd appreciate it.

Personally i am used to be a muslim but i dont even know what to call myself anymore. Its like im in the middle of Muslim And atheism. I need some explanation. I am still doing my search but i'd like to take some thoughts from you guys too.

I think if you are in the middle of two religions, or undecided, then you are agnostic.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if that is true, the most of science is wrong as most discovries of physics/bio/chemistry was made hundreds if not thousands of years ago, are they all false too ? naah.

Science can be proved, over and over again. You cannot prove religion.

In my opinion, the best way to tackle this issue is not to debate secondary items such as our reason for being alive and conscious on this planet.  

You have to look at the ROOT question:  What is it about the human brain and psyche that makes them so susceptible to pondering the meaning of their existence?

Why or how, biologically and mechanically, do our brains conceive of these arguments and opinions?  Why must "faith in a higher power" be relevant at all?

Answering these questions will lead you to my conclusion, I hope.  God exists because we created him.  We created him because we needed some panacea for the problem of "why do our lives suck?  how come my friend died in a car accident?  why is there this disease that kills without a cure (unless you're name is magic johnson)? what could drive those people to drop an atomic bomb on us?  why is the one food we have relied on in a severe disease and blight leading to millions of us starving?  why are my family members and friends all dying from a plague that has literally wiped out more than a 1/4 of Europe? why is the tigris and euphrates river flooding at such inopportune times, ruining our harvests and making us struggle and starve?  IT MUST BE THE GODS.  

People use "god" for their own agenda.  A passionate atheist who spends real time on trying to prove there is no god or convince religious people that their no god, is just as useless and stupid to me as a super religious zealot.  You people are slaves to your own brains.  More specifically, you are all blind to the power your ego has over you.

Why the fuck do you think we should have some afterlife or higher meaning in this world?  What makes us so special?  Evolution and mutations and survival have crafted these homo sapiens that have brains CAPABLE of such complex thought.  If our hippocampuses (plural of hippocampus?  not sure) were more like those of of the chimpanzee, we wouldn't even possess the capacity to carry on these retarded arguments in our head, ready to spew at whomever will listen.  We would picking bugs out of each others fur, finding the next meal, raping other monkeys, and throwing shit at each other.

Human beings are so insecure about their place on this earth, it's pathetic.  GET OVER YOURSELVES.  When an ant dies, it decomposes and it feeds the earth to create more life.  Maybe that ant's literal atomic elements are transferred throughout...things are connected...eventually that physical entity that was an ant that turned into decomposed matter that turned into plant food/material that turned into a flower that turned into nectar for the bee that turned into food for the bird...you get my point.

In that way, I am spiritual.  I believe everything is connected on this very earth we set foot upon, I believe our existence is merely a product of EXTREME fortune (like my unboxing 7 unusual hats in 5 days), and as for this topic, I believe not only that god does not exist, but also that it is pointless debating whether he does or arguing he doesn't.  Live this life to the fullest and be satisfied with knowing when you die you will decompose and help give life to something else.  The only way to embrace this state of thinking is to truly accept that you are no more important, biologically, than a blade of grass or a dead ant, and to accept that our egos and uniquely gifted brain ability are to blame for conceiving of a mythical creature that would be the answer to all of our unanswerable questions.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with knowing that some questions will never be answered in my life, whether personally or on an existential level.  

Remember, one of the first documented gods were from the ancient civiliation of Sumer.  Sumer predates Greece and Rome by hundreds/thousands of years.  They lived on the Tigris & Euphrates river roughly in today's Middle East.  This river was unpredictable - there were no flood patterns.  It would randomly flood.  Sumerians would lose entire harvests/crops/fields and their transportation would all be damaged/lost to the floods.  They COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHY something like this happened so they LITERALLY CREATED GOD to explain everything.  They created a polytheistic civilization in which all of the gods were ascribed different natural disasters/occurrences.  Sure, there was a sun god.  But more importantly, the VAST majority of their gods were very negative and spiteful.  That would explain why they had lives ruined by floods - they were bad people and the gods were punishing them.  

Imagine if they lived in Malibu or to be less tongue-in-cheek, on the Nile river which is much more docile and explains how the Egyptians rose to prominence. 

To finish my thought, my biggest issue with religion is that it gives you the idea that you have to be religious to be moral.  Listen you dumb motherfuckers, I don't steal shit from people and I'm a generous guy and I STILL don't give a fuck about your ten commandments or god.  GTFO.

The main issue I have with Christianity is it states in order to go to heaven, all you have to do is believe in God, but that means a Christian serial killer>Someone who donates millions to charity

If you could also explain why you do/don't believe in god i'd appreciate it.

You are what western religion refers to as being an agnostic. This means that you are undecided about the existance of God.

Personally i am used to be a muslim but i dont even know what to call myself anymore. Its like im in the middle of Muslim And atheism. I need some explanation. I am still doing my search but i'd like to take some thoughts from you guys too.

i could believe in a god if it ever presented itself to me with valid proof and not some dude writing about it 900 years after it supposedly happened.

but as of now, there are no proof thats enough for me to believe in one. and therefore i am an agnostic

If you were God, amd created all things, wouldn't you be a little insulted by the people you made then requiring you to prove you exist.

If you were God, amd created all things, wouldn't you be a little insulted by the people you made then requiring you to prove you exist.

If you were God, and had the properties of being omnipotent, there would be no reason to explicitly prove your existence. If you are truly all-knowing, it makes no difference what other people think. Take a second and think about it: if you could do absolutely anything and know absolutely everything, why force primitive minds like those of humans to recognize you? It would be like a human forcing lab mice to recognize him as God. Sure, you can do it, but what purpose does it serve?

And if you were God, who created the entire universe, then why focus solely on just humans? We are merely a speck in the universe, who knows what else remains out there.

As for the possibility of afterlife, does it mean every person who ever lived goes to the afterlife? What form do you go to the afterlife in? (e.g. if you died with a spear through your heart, do you carry that spear with you for eternity? or can you choose what you look like in the afterlife? If you can choose your own appearance, then what is even the point of the afterlife? How can you be "reunited" with your loved ones if they can change form at will?)

In the end, it all comes down to belief. If you truly think that we are the chosen species, that the creator made us after his image because he preferred us better than anything else in the universe, and that there is an infinite afterlife, then you believe it. None of it can be proven or verified. And if such a God existed, there is no reason he should even bother proving anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I do believe in God very much. My father has this saying, "Most people haven't seen a million dollars, but they still know it exists." I feel it applies. But, in reality, it's all about faith. Hope this was good input. Have a good one! :)

• 4 weeks later...

-If you were God, and had the properties of being omnipotent, there would be no reason to explicitly prove your existence. If you are truly all-knowing, it makes no difference what other people think. Take a second and think about it: if you could do absolutely anything and know absolutely everything, why force primitive minds like those of humans to recognize you? It would be like a human forcing lab mice to recognize him as God. Sure, you can do it, but what purpose does it serve?

-And if you were God, who created the entire universe, then why focus solely on just humans? We are merely a speck in the universe, who knows what else remains out there.

-As for the possibility of afterlife, does it mean every person who ever lived goes to the afterlife? What form do you go to the afterlife in? (e.g. if you died with a spear through your heart, do you carry that spear with you for eternity? or can you choose what you look like in the afterlife? If you can choose your own appearance, then what is even the point of the afterlife? How can you be "reunited" with your loved ones if they can change form at will?)

-In the end, it all comes down to belief. If you truly think that we are the chosen species, that the creator made us after his image because he preferred us better than anything else in the universe, and that there is an infinite afterlife, then you believe it. None of it can be proven or verified. And if such a God existed, there is no reason he should even bother proving anything.

-You will see God eventually, God sees you, he is all the time with you, but why would he show himself ? Can you stare at the sun for more than say 5 minutes ? No. Then how would you be able to see God, there was a prophet (can't recall the name, can find it if you want tho), he asked God to come down, he was going to eventually, came a few centimeters and the prophet was shocked from his greatness and got un-concious, even the mountain was shivering at where the prophet was siting.

-Who said he only focuses on humans ? What about plants ? animals ? Atoms ? nearly everything. Even planets, humans tried to see if life can be obtained in other planets, all were not eligible because of only a planet is closer to the sun by couple of metres than Earth so it is so hot, and other is away from Earth and from by couple of metres so it is too cold, co-incidince ? What about the clouds ? Seas ? The universe ?

-No, everyone goes to the afterlife in the age he died at (i am not sure of this tho, will search for it if you need) , however at heaven, everyone will be 33 as it is the age when Jesus was lifted to God with the height of 33 arms and width of 6 arms as Adam was of that size (sure of this)

-I didn't understand your last point.

Archived