I worry about death.

Bobsplosion

I suppose one could make the case that if the fear is only driven by instinct, then it's not rational by definition since there's no actual reasoning behind the fear...

...but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to fear death beyond mere instinct.  Personally, I'm not so much afraid of death as I am the process of dying itself.  Will my death be painful?  Will it be prolonged?  Will I suffer crazy visions brought on by the oxygen deprivation of my brain?  These things do worry me.  If I could have the reassurance that my death would be instant and without suffering or mental anguish, I wouldn't fear the process of dying so much. 

As for death itself, well that's inevitable, and is likely enough to happen as a result of circumstances beyond one's own control.  Even if humans were granted virtual immortality, given enough time, they will still eventually die in some way or another.  It's just a matter of the damage and destruction of the body becoming increasingly likely as time goes on, even if one could live in a state of perpetual youthfulness.  It's simple probability.  Given enough time, circumstances will eventually conspire to destroy any given person.

I didn't make my point clear enough. What I was trying to explain is the feeling of anxiety over the issue of death, which resides in the subconscious.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely understand how you feel about this, I myself have been scared over the fact that everything you are can just cease to exist, apart form a body that decomposes quickly. The best way to think about this, in my experience, has been to stop worrying over the fact that you consciousness will end, save for a major scientific advancement regarding this (unlikely I think), the most you can do is prolong this from happening. Instead of worrying, try to do the most you can for the greater good of the world in the time allotted, get yourself remembered. It would be somewhat comforting that your body and consciousness may be gone, but your actions have been remembered by a large amount of people. If you believe in some sort of religion, that would also bring solace, so that the end isn't really an end.

Archived