I worry about death.

Bobsplosion

Being scared of death is like being scared that you fail a test that's coming next week. If you keep that fear, you're going to fail the test, no doubt. Though if you learn for that test (enjoy life), the test could turn out to go very well. Yes, maybe you're a bit nervous just before the test, but that's the same with death.

Just keep calm, enjoy life, and do the things that you've always wanted to. No dream is too big, no task impossible.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of out there, but hear me out.

A person is a brain controlling a body. Once the brain dies, the person ceases to exist. Everything they've ever done no longer matters to them. It might matter to the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean anything to a dead person.

I fear what it's like to experience death, because I know I'm not going to re-open my eyes and find myself elsewhere. But I also can't begin to understand what it's like to die. Circumstances have led to me thinking about this a lot, but the only valid methods to cheating death that I can imagine is physically preserving the brain, or uploading the contents digitally (which might still cause 'death,' unless the consciousness is copied over as well.)

What are your thoughts?

Finally, someone that fears death like I do....I always wonder if my consciousness is going to be 'recycled' into another body or such, one that is not necessary human. Like you, I fear the experience of death and the fact that you essentially lost all your memories of your life in an instant. Contrary to most people, I would actually accept immortality, that's how much I fear death. Necrophobia sucks

I fear death. I've been already concerned about death when I was at the age of 3 because of me trying to committing suicide for wanting to experience the feeling of after death after a few cartoon episodes about gods from different mythologies. Of course, my parents stopped me and warned me not to try it again.

(Yes, I am really a strange fellow, but I just can't stop myself)

From these days onward, I have discovered that if you are going to live, then enjoy every single minute and second of your entire life. What's the point of life if you don't enjoy it?

For people who are not fear of death, what's the point of living? Don't think that ending your life can make yourself feel better. How about your friends and families? You're not Immortal. One single life can't be bought by anything more. 

Indeed, in a normal life, you shouldn't be concerned about the word death since it will actually adds up your pressure which will affect your life, but I don't think you should not fear death because of it either. If you're not fear of death, then there is actually no reason for a result of death at all. If so, you won't be using the rest of the time in your life wisely and be really enjoying it.

Fearing death is normal, I do not think anyone here does not fear death.

And then again, this is only my opinion. To follow it or going against it is your own choice. 

Fearing death is normal, I do not think anyone here does not fear death.

It's a fear of the unknown, which is part of human nature. It's what has allowed us to evolve to the point where we can talk about this stuff. Ie, not doing stupid shit without knowing what will happen.

I'd hate to spend the rest of my life staring at darkness.

But hey im christian and we believe that heaven is a great place and I believe it

Interesting part - our very existence proves that nothingness or somehow infinite energy existed all the times. Some might recall it as God or other physical subject upon everything is based off. 

Significant question is about dimensions. Does there is just one universe or infinitive number of universes out there. Life started with no specific reason - it means it can do it again, because time is relative. When we die, we became unconsciousness, we loose or physical ability to "catch" present time. I believe, we jump to another point, where we become conciseness again.

Does we save our memories after death? It depend's on what are we - if our very self is physical brain, we might loose everything created upon out life span. If we have some third-part energy that makes ourselves and can't be discovered by today's technology - we might continue to live in another form of existence with our own characteristics.

Funny story about this though, there was an atheistic neurologist who had an NDE once, the part of his brain that would process the NDE hallucinations was totally not working, but he reported seeing some form of Heaven and became a religious person. I will cite this if you need me to.

Cite it if you want.  It makes little difference since it's purely anecdotal going by what you've said.  Just don't take it personally if and when I tear it apart after you've given a source.  Actually, I don't even need to have a source to do that.  Even if what you say actually happened and the person wasn't lying to sell a book or something (this does happen), a lack of explanation for it does not then mean that the only explanation is god.  That's a logical fallacy called 'argument from ignorance'.  A suitable analogy would be lightning bolts being taken as evidence for the existence of Thor because the people of the time didn't have a better explanation, or all NDEs being taken as evidence of an afterlife/god because medical science didn't have an explanation for them yet.  Hell, they're still taken as evidence for god/afterlife by some people even though there's been a scientific explanation for them for many years.

tl;dr - If you're trying to prove the existence of god by holding up something for which there is currently no explanation, you're committing a logical fallacy and confining god to "an ever-receding frontier of ignorance".

But hey im christian and we believe that heaven is a great place and I believe it

Why would you see darkness if you're dead? You're dead. You're no longer conscious, you wouldn't see anything and you wouldn't feel anything.

That depends on whether you're an asshole or god is an asshole.

I'm just a horrible person, but Satan sounds cool enough

technically you'd be spending the rest of your death staring at darkness

All this fear is meaningless because once you're dead you won't care anymore. You won't know to care if there is an "other side" because you can't physically care anymore.

I mean, I see death as being asleep. You don't feel anything. You're just asleep forever.

Not really asleep if you're not going to wake up and your body is decomposing. You wont be dreaming either.

Not really asleep if you're not going to wake up and your body is decomposing. You wont be dreaming either.

I think he means the feelings of being in a deep sleep

Hopefully you're not conscientious the ~8 hours of sleep you get

Living and having fear of being dead is kind of pointless cause then you can never have any fun, or go anywhere. You will just live a life not really worth living I am not saying go crazy and fuck shit up, but just try to have fun. Anyone can die at any time. There is no point in worrying you just have to be ready when your time cums.

It's a fear of the unknown, which is part of human nature. It's what has allowed us to evolve to the point where we can talk about this stuff. Ie, not doing stupid shit without knowing what will happen.

Exactly what Grimes said

And part of that human nature is also to defy death. If we can avoid death, we can live longer to bear more children. Most of it is based off animal instinct.

You can suppress the irrational fear of death, but you have to realise that death is inevitable. Best be reassured that you can be succeeded by children, or with confidence that you could pass into an afterlife/reincarnation.

Such anxiety issues can be detrimental to physical and mental health in the long-term.

This is kind of out there, but hear me out.

A person is a brain controlling a body. Once the brain dies, the person ceases to exist. Everything they've ever done no longer matters to them. It might matter to the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean anything to a dead person.

I fear what it's like to experience death, because I know I'm not going to re-open my eyes and find myself elsewhere. But I also can't begin to understand what it's like to die. Circumstances have led to me thinking about this a lot, but the only valid methods to cheating death that I can imagine is physically preserving the brain, or uploading the contents digitally (which might still cause 'death,' unless the consciousness is copied over as well.)

What are your thoughts?

Live your life like it's your last. You gotta make the most out of what you can and just roll with the punches and keep going on. Love the people you love and if not tell the people who you want to love.

How the fuck is fearing death irrational?

I suppose one could make the case that if the fear is only driven by instinct, then it's not rational by definition since there's no actual reasoning behind the fear...

...but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to fear death beyond mere instinct.  Personally, I'm not so much afraid of death as I am the process of dying itself.  Will my death be painful?  Will it be prolonged?  Will I suffer crazy visions brought on by the oxygen deprivation of my brain?  These things do worry me.  If I could have the reassurance that my death would be instant and without suffering or mental anguish, I wouldn't fear the process of dying so much. 

As for death itself, well that's inevitable, and is likely enough to happen as a result of circumstances beyond one's own control.  Even if humans were granted virtual immortality, given enough time, they will still eventually die in some way or another.  It's just a matter of the damage and destruction of the body becoming increasingly likely as time goes on, even if one could live in a state of perpetual youthfulness.  It's simple probability.  Given enough time, circumstances will eventually conspire to destroy any given person.

Archived