Have Outpost and Steam Rep gone too far?

Vince

In the last few months, I haven't really traded much, though I have kept tabs on the community. It has come to my attention that a lot of common bp.tf people have been getting marked on SR and/or perma'd on outpost for stupid ass reasons.

A few examples include

Cranwell: got marked for buying an unusual from a scammer. The scammer was marked for no apparent reason on steamrep (was marked by a defunct community). He was marked about 2 years ago. Even though Cranwell knew he was buying something from a scammer, when you're dealing with 200+ unusuals like cran was, wouldn't you slip a time or two? He was marked for it, which is basically ruining his chances of trading again.

Parsec: Was marked on an alt 7 months ago for trading with scammers, which first is stupid, but then got marked on his current account for being marked on another account where he actually didn't scam anyone.

Nieroda: Was perma'd on outpost for "brokering" a item for a banned user. First sirploko didn't add any of the parties for proof, he just assumed he was brokering. He had valid proof it was a co-ownership (http://imgur.com/HK4TKMO), and that wasn't taken into account until after the ban was administered. The user that was banned was only banned for a flipping day for a language violation. 

It's funny of how fucking slow and how fucking fast steam rep wishes to be. Cran was marked in a few weeks of his ban, while it took buehla and DirectingMgamer

over half a year to get marked. Steam rep is fucked up, and something needs to change

Outpost's rules are too vague and need to be defined properly. They also jump to conclusions instead of properly investigating (like in Nieroda's case)

Also, look at Dota2 or CS:GO, their communities are 100% fine without limiting and harsh rules that steamrep and outpost have for tf2 trading.

Steamrep in my opinion should be based on a points system. In my many conversations with captain big balls, we discussed how much better the community would be on a points system. Like drivers licence points almost. For example you have 20 points, and if you accidentally trade with a scammer you get 3 points removed, etc and when you have all 20 points gone, you get marked. The way steamrep is set up right now it is a once and done deal, it is long and hard to get an appeal through and you do have to keep in mind all people, including admins, make mistakes.

I'm not using this as a rant, I'm using this to start a discussion, not a flame war. If this gets locked I'll simply repost on the steam forums and reddit. 

DO NOT FLAME. DISCUSS, DON'T FLAME

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, if they were going to mark directingMgamer and Buehla, they should've done it sooner, not after many months. That made it seem as if it was just an op ban they had got themselves.

Whelp, here we go again.

Yeah I agree, the biggest argument is "we need SR or else the market will crash, scammers will overrun". But CSGO and Dota 2 are doing just fine without community police.

Please don't turn this into a flame war guys :/

Posted · Hidden by polar, September 29, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, September 29, 2014 - No reason given

Please don't turn this into a flame war guys :/

DO WHAT THIS MAN SAYS

DO WHAT THIS MAN SAYS

#UNBANNIERODA

and yes they have gone too far

I believe the difference is that outpost exists in the first place, dota and csgo prices end up depending on the scm, the way those sites end up as a sort of ffa trading makes regulations that theymake in tf2 different.

#UNBANNIERODA

There are other people who have even been marked for stupider reasons.

Honestly, I lost my faith in sr because of what happened regarding Atomic Potato.

Sure, he did buy a burning tc off of a scammer, but not for profitable intents, but that is asides the purpose.

People getting marked for trading with him for things that he did not scam, as he was not a scammer, only a "fence" seemed lstupid.

Honestly, I lost my faith in sr because of what happened regarding Atomic Potato.

Sure, he did buy a burning tc off of a scammer, but not for profitable intents, but that is asides the purpose.

People getting marked for trading with him for things that he did not scam, as he was not a scammer, only a "fence" seemed lstupid.

And the person that bought the tc off of potato got marked, and when he sells, the buyer will get marked..

I believe the difference is that outpost exists in the first place, dota and csgo prices end up depending on the scm, the way those sites end up as a sort of ffa trading makes regulations that theymake in tf2 different.

CSGO and DOTA are both more competitive based while TF2 is more trading based.

I know, like 2 weeks ago i got banned for 2 days for commenting, on "2 jew for me?? Na"

In the last few months, I haven't really traded much, though I have kept tabs on the community. It has come to my attention that a lot of common bp.tf people have been getting marked on SR and/or perma'd on outpost for stupid ass reasons.

I think you should actually read the ban reasons. You seem to be rather misinformed. 

Cranwell:

1. Repeatedly trading with marked scammers even after being warned not to do so repeatedly (more than three times by two different communities).

2. Abusing Steam Marketplace in order to "launder" items by marked scammers to attempt to avoid being caught doing aforementioned trades with scammers.

Parsec: 

Scammed Atomic out of 200 buds in unusuals. Just lol. How could you possibly be outraged by his ban?

Neiroda isn't even banned any more. EDIT: permanently

Also, you cannot possibly compare tf2's economy to CS:GO and Dota. Those are both new economies that are still expanding. More money keeps getting poured in as more people join. Eventually they will reach a steady state. At that point, if scammers are as prevalent as they are now, those economies won't fare any better. 

But its the fact that they jumped to conclusions without even investigating it.

I don't disagree that they should slow down, but I dont see anything much as unreasonable at the current moment.

#UNBANNIERODA

and yes they have gone too far

#UNBANHARSHELDON

I think you should actually read the ban reasons. You seem to be rather misinformed. 

Cranwell:

1. Repeatedly trading with marked scammers even after being warned not to do so repeatedly (more than three times by two different communities).

2. Abusing Steam Marketplace in order to "launder" items by marked scammers to attempt to avoid being caught doing aforementioned trades with scammers.

Parsec: 

Scammed Atomic out of 200 buds in unusuals. Just lol. How could you possibly be outraged by his ban?

Neiroda isn't even banned any more. 

I'm not outraged about crans past ban, I'm outraged about the last one where we don't even know what the guy was marked for

According http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198081174617 (parsec's alt) there is nothing about a 200 bud scam

And I know Neiorda is banned for a week. I'm still outraged by outpost's failure to gather evidence before pressuring a ban. They are a "professional" site, if they wish to call themselves professionals, they need to act them them.

#UNBANHARSHELDON

Calm down, its just a week, they had their rules, you could've waited a day, but you made it worse, why are you complaining?

A fence is someone who buys hijacked/scammed/etc unusuals regularly, thus acting as easy load offs for pure.

ahh thx :)

Archived