Have Outpost and Steam Rep gone too far?

Vince

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198081174617 (parsec's alt) there is nothing about a 200 bud scam

And I know Neiorda is banned for a week. I'm still outraged by outpost's failure to gather evidence before pressuring a ban. They are a "professional" site, if they wish to call themselves professionals, they need to act them them.

I agree that SR not being transparent and holding their notes privately is a problem. But Parsec's original ban reason is well documented. You can read the reddit report made by his friend, Convict, for the full details. 

And you have to understand how it looks from their perspective. You can't start having people following this precedent of "co-ownership" as okay or everyone will start to use that when brokering for a banned user. If the user is banned and owns part of the hat, it shouldn't be put up. I'm surprised that they couldn't even wait the 2 days for the ban to expire.

I do agree with the points system being much more fair, steamrep though volunteer, hugely inefficient imo. Buehla for example was perma-banned on outpost for quite a while for trades with scammers/alts, he still constantly goes around trading, and now every single person he send trade offers to (and he sends a LOT) and once they accept - there goes his/her trading career. 

Imo a points system would work better, however for cases like paypal scam etc. the points system  may not work as well.

Either way, opinion doesnt matter, someone has to start it, believing is not making.

Also, look at Dota2 or CS:GO, their communities are 100% fine without limiting and harsh rules that steamrep and outpost have for tf2 trading.

I would simply like to know where this insight stems from since I have personally talked to Helen about this matter before, and she has stated that there are more reports from the Dota 2 community on scamming than from Team Fortress 2. However, there's always a chance she could be wrong. I mean, with your 90 hours on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and 0.1 hours on Dota 2, I could possibly assume you were an expert in both communities. These "limiting and harsh rules" on Outpost and Steamrep are, believe or not, put in place to make the trading community a safe and fair place for all traders, but if you truly believe that marking a user for scamming or fencing is inhibiting the trade communities currently in place, then by all means feel free to start a new one.

I do agree with the points system being much more fair, steamrep though volunteer, hugely inefficient imo. Buehla for example was perma-banned on outpost for quite a while for trades with scammers/alts, he still constantly goes around trading, and now every single person he send trade offers to (and he sends a LOT) and once they accept - there goes his/her trading career. 

Imo a points system would work better, however for cases like paypal scam etc. the points system  may not work as well.

Either way, opinion doesnt matter, someone has to start it, believing is not making.

A points system would make a bunch of googles.

someone should make a new steamrep lol.

Just seriously tho, it needs to be more active

They are very slow to process, very inefficient indeed. But is still a useful database

Posted · Hidden by polar, September 29, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, September 29, 2014 - No reason given

someone should make a new steamrep lol.

Just seriously tho, it needs to be more active

I can seen by the end of the year steamrep being replaced.

They are very slow to process, very inefficient indeed. But is still a useful database

Yes it is a useful data base, but as you said very slow to process, like say if idk, Baloo was an admin there it would speed everything up

I mean, with your 90 hours on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and 0.1 hours on Dota 2, 

I don't play dota.

Anyways based on the crap that is spread around on the forums and talks with friends who have traded a bit. I can make a assumption, I'm not an expert, though.

outpost is a privately owned and administered site

they can do whatever they damn well please.

With the connections they have with steamrep and the connections steamrep has with other trading communities in tf2, they are almost a monopoly where you are forced to abide by the rules if you don't want to be banned on every site in relation to tf2 trading. 

Keep in mind it is illegal to have a monopoly in the United States

With the connections they have with steamrep and the connections steamrep has with other trading communities in tf2, they are almost a monopoly where you are forced to abide by the rules if you don't want to be banned on every site in relation to tf2 trading. 

Theres always scm, where they rarely care about steamrep marks.

I can seen by the end of the year steamrep being replaced.

People often say this, however theres nothing fit to replace it. Steamrep put itself into the tf2 community and is stuck there unless the community stops using it.

If a few major sites / communities stopped using Steamrep, you'd see a major disconnect between the threat of a mark.

Calm down, its just a week, they had their rules, you could've waited a day, but you made it worse, why are you complaining?

Please, if you dont know what you're talking about, dont talk about it.

This rule is not pre-specified in outpost, and though it is not humanly possible to list each of the reasons you can get banned for on outpost, this is not an obvious reason to get banned. FOR A WEEK. Excuse me, how did i make it worse? please, enlighten me. Why am i complaining? 

- We were given a week ban to DECIDE WHO WILL PUT THE HAT FOR TRADE. are you joking me?

- I have every right to complain. I did not debate my day ban a single bit, as i deserve it, and im not even mad.

"You could've waited a day"

- Um, i did wait a day. Then i wake up to outpost finding i am banned for a week because we obviously need that much time to have a good long discussion and come to a decision on who is going to put it on outpost. I understand brokering for a banned user is simply not acceptable, however. so now 2 friends are not allowed to put their items together to buy a hat? what if we cant afford the hat with just 1 single backpack.

Please dont comment on my situation if you know nothing about it, just believing the 4 lines sirploko wrote.

I don't play dota.

Anyways based on the crap that is spread around on the forums and talks with friends who have traded a bit. I can make a assumption, I'm not an expert, though.

You stated your assumption as though it were an assertion and is misleading to viewers of this thread. I do not believe someone without personal experience in either trade community should be spewing such unverified assertions, especially when both the targeted sites deal with reports from all three trading communities, so to state that the sites do not put any limitations on two out of the three, but is a great hindrance on the third is mildly ridiculous to say the least.

Sneezer and op are from Britain, the illegality of something in the US has little relation

People often say this, however theres nothing fit to replace it. Steamrep put itself into the tf2 community and is stuck there unless the community stops using it.

If a few major sites / communities stopped using Steamrep, you'd see a major disconnect between the threat of a mark.

Some major community can make their own better version and have their partnered communities use their system. This would spread the popularity.

Sneezer and op are from Britain, the illegality of something in the US has little relation

What I said was in relation to steamrep and how they have a monopoly, not outpost 

-snip-

I'm sorry, you and Nieroda complaining will not change anything, I have nothing against you guys, but just accept the week ban, i mean Neiroda almost got perma banned, i would be happy if they switched a perma ban to a week ban. That's all I really have to say.

take a moment and think about how stupid what you just said is

you can trade on

backpack.tf

bazaar.tf

outpost

servers (there are literally hundreds)

steam market

Some major community can make their own better version and have their partnered communities use their system. This would spread the popularity.

Honestly, that could do it if someone was aiming to attempt to knock out Steamrep. Granted, it'd have to be a large community such as outpost for this to work, and most of them seem to have close ties with Steamrep.

Please, if you dont know what you're talking about, dont talk about it.

This rule is not pre-specified in outpost, and though it is not humanly possible to list each of the reasons you can get banned for on outpost, this is not an obvious reason to get banned. FOR A WEEK. Excuse me, how did i make it worse? please, enlighten me. Why am i complaining? 

- We were given a week ban to DECIDE WHO WILL PUT THE HAT FOR TRADE. are you joking me?

- I have every right to complain. I did not debate my day ban a single bit, as i deserve it, and im not even mad.

"You could've waited a day"

- Um, i did wait a day. Then i wake up to outpost finding i am banned for a week because we obviously need that much time to have a good long discussion and come to a decision on who is going to put it on outpost. I understand brokering for a banned user is simply not acceptable, however. so now 2 friends are not allowed to put their items together to buy a hat? what if we cant afford the hat with just 1 single backpack.

Please dont comment on my situation if you know nothing about it, just believing the 4 lines sirploko wrote.

... You were banned and Nieroda was selling for you, what does that make outpost mods think? Putting the fact that you are not brokering the hat is just flat out a lie, as long as nieroda waited a day before putting it for sale you would have been fine.

I'm sorry, you and Nieroda complaining will not change anything, I have nothing against you guys, but just accept the week ban, i mean Neiroda almost got perma banned, i would be happy if they switched a perma ban to a week ban. That's all I really have to say.

If you read the original post from Vince you would have seen that they jumped to conclusions without looking at the facts

Archived