Unusual Price in Buds

polar

The fluctuation in Unusual price here seems wild but when people understand the underlying factors it shouldn't be a problem.  In many ways it parallels the key debate/fire storm.  Many players don't understand the underlying factors and just complain.  They also don't recognize that many items have dropped in price to match the key's buying power.  If they would then they would be less concerned about the trade price of keys.  Similarly here, I sold one Unusual recently, at near cost (in terms of keys) but still profited well enough because the key trade price increased. 

AMCN, you gave the same example while you were talking about trading in backpacks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not talking about what should unusuals prices be, we don't price by speculation. 

But what the thread is about.

Buds and keys are having wrong $$ values and unusuals are being wrongly converted and some hats that just get suggested shift price and need to be re suggested and we don't want that. - Thats the threads topic. I dont know what you want me to understand when i'm only thinking about the topic of this thread. 

Liddo, what I mean in this argument is that while we recognized that the primary demand for buds is a desire to trade for Unusuals we also must say that just because the demand for buds changes doesn't mean that demand for every single unusual should change by the same amount.  This is what you are saying when you say "locked in the currency they are traded in".

Well, think about something, why are some hats priced in metal, and others priced in keys?--Because those are what the item usually trades for. So why should unusuals be any different? Furthermore, does a hats price change from what it was set as?--Again, no, regular items are all stored in the currency in which they were set, and never actually change until a suggestion is made. So if an item is priced at 5.33 Ref, even if Ref goes down in USD, the item still remains 5.33 Ref, and if an item is priced as 1 Key, even if keys go up, its still priced as 1 Key.

Well, think about something, why are some hats priced in metal, and others priced in keys?--Because those are what the item usually trades for. So why should unusuals be any different?

Because there is ample proof of demand for most items, it is easy for most items to be priced in whatever trade currency is at their level of demand.  Oddly we don't use Bills this way (like pricing a BMOC at 1.3 Bills).  Most items transact so frequently that we see the effect of currency shifts in trade proofs.  Individual Unusuals transact so infrequently that trade currency shifts can't be evidenced.  A seller may have a post up for a month during which time the trade currency shifted greatly.  His initial asking price is no longer relevant.

Furthermore, does a hats price change from what it was set as?--Again, no, regular items are all stored in the currency in which they were set, and never actually change until a suggestion is made. So if an item is priced at 5.33 Ref, even if Ref goes down in USD, the item still remains 5.33 Ref, and if an item is priced as 1 Key, even if keys go up, its still priced as 1 Key.

See above answer for some of this but I believe your right in that only Unusuals have this formula applied to them when their suggestion is accepted.  I don't know about other high price items; Vint Bills, HOUWR's, Max's etc.  Those items seem only to change when their is a price suggestion.  That may be because they are also considered currency.

Liddo, what I mean in this argument is that while we recognized that the primary demand for buds is a desire to trade for Unusuals we also must say that just because the demand for buds changes doesn't mean that demand for every single unusual should change by the same amount.  This is what you are saying when you say "locked in the currency they are traded in".

No im saying correct conversions i had some ideas about a fix but all i care about is correct conversion and not a lock in buds and keys (a lock to them would be easiest though)

Archived