I worry about death.

Bobsplosion

This is kind of out there, but hear me out.

A person is a brain controlling a body. Once the brain dies, the person ceases to exist. Everything they've ever done no longer matters to them. It might matter to the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean anything to a dead person.

I fear what it's like to experience death, because I know I'm not going to re-open my eyes and find myself elsewhere. But I also can't begin to understand what it's like to die. Circumstances have led to me thinking about this a lot, but the only valid methods to cheating death that I can imagine is physically preserving the brain, or uploading the contents digitally (which might still cause 'death,' unless the consciousness is copied over as well.)

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A person is a brain controlling a body. Once the brain dies, the person ceases to exist. Everything they've ever done no longer matters to them. It might matter to the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean anything to a dead person.

I fear what it's like to experience death, because I know I'm not going to re-open my eyes and find myself elsewhere. But I also can't begin to understand what it's like to die. Circumstances have led to me thinking about this a lot, but the only valid methods to cheating death that I can imagine is physically preserving the brain, or uploading the contents digitally (which might still cause 'death,' unless the consciousness is copied over as well.)

What are your thoughts?

Afraid that there's no "other side" and you'll forever see darkness but then again, "the other side" may also be a dangerous place.

Also Death is inevitable and can happen at any time, that's the most frightening part

The actual process of brain death terrifies me too.  No way around it unless the entire brain is destroyed so fast that there's just no time to feel or think.  It's the only thing about death (other than physical pain) that I really worry about.

I don't fear death, yeah someday I might die but I don't really care. This might sound like I'm suicidal or an idiot, but I really don't care when, or how, I die. Whenever I die I'm fine with that and that's just the way it is for me.

There's nothing you can do but live your life the way that makes you happy, so you can be content with death when it arrives. The true fear we all have of death comes down to not fulfilling a task of some sort, like telling someone you are sorry for something or that you love them. Even not finishing some sort of creative strive you once had might come back to bite you in the ass.

Just live until you die, it's what we have all done for years upon years.

What are your thoughts?

Stop thinking about the inevitable end, and think about what you're going to do next.

The thing I'm afraid is what is going to happen to me after I die.

Will I see darkness? Or will I live a new life without knowing what happened to me.

The thing I'm afraid is what is going to happen to me after I die.

Will I see darkness? Or will I live a new life without knowing what happened to me.

If you're religious you will experience eternal damnation or eternal happiness.

If you're sane, blackness.

“It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.â€

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore :)

Unkown is what the thing is... Unless you're Christian, Islamic, anything else. Then you believe that your life is not in vain, and there's something afterwards.

Would eternal life after death be better than ceasing to exist? Eternal life would get boring. ETERNAL life. I don't think anything exists after death.

Don't fear death, fear pain.

Honestly bob, I fear not being loved more than I do dying. I'd rather die a hundred times over than live a life where no one cares about me and I die alone and unhappy. That's why I forced my way out of my antisocial shell. Fuck death, it can't be avoided. What can be avoided though, is a happy life. Don't let that be you.

blackness

See but blackness is actually a thing you can experience.  I know what you actually mean, which is that your consciousness will cease, but that's kinda hard for most people to comprehend.

Just try to imagine what it was like for you before you were born.  If that sounds like a nonsensical act, then you have a pretty good idea of what it will be like after you die.  It'll be exactly the same as it was for you before you were born.  There was no "you".  You did not exist, and you were not aware of your nonexistence because there was no "you" to be aware of this null state of being.  Death will be exactly like that.  You won't even know you're dead because there will be no "you" to have the knowledge. 

And the world will carry on just fine without you.  Contrary to what some may think, the universe doesn't give a shit if you're alive or dead.

I used to think about this too much. It bothered me when I discovered the meaning of death (as in you don't 'wake up').

I personally think that if you do what you love and live with in your moral code that you establish or accept, you will be not have to worry about death so much because in the end of the day, you will have done the things you wanted and have no regret. So either way, if there is a heaven and hell or not, I go to sleep content knowing I am not going to hell atleast.

Also the 'void'ness doesn't sound scary. I think it will be more like eternal deep sleep assuming that no religion is true.

I have an old friend who experienced death before. The doctor was giving the news to his family. Suddenly, he came back with no explanation. He said that he wasn't conscious of anything and he didn't see a light or anything. He was unsure of how long he was dead, but the nurse asked him if he saw heaven. The only thing he remembers is crying and praising God.

I'm not sure when I'll die or how I'll die, but the only thing I'm sure of is that I'll make the most of my time.

I have an old friend who experienced death before. The doctor was giving the news to his family. Suddenly, he came back with no explanation. He said that he wasn't conscious of anything and he didn't see a light or anything. He was unsure of how long he was dead, but the nurse asked him if he saw heaven. The only thing he remembers is crying and praising God.

I'm not sure when I'll die or how I'll die, but the only thing I'm sure of is that I'll make the most of my time.

Your friend wasn't actually dead.  There's a real difference between being dead and being declared dead by a doctor.  This is why the experiences people have in this state are called Near Death Experiences.  It's because they're only near death at that point, not dead.  If they were actually dead, you'd never hear about it and there'd have been nothing to talk about anyway.

Another perspective to have on this is that scientists believe that when you die, you relive your entire life from start to finish. For everyone around you, this is a matter of seconds but to you, your brain perceives this as a extremely long, extended time. its lead to believe that, you right now are reliving your life on your death bed. All you ever done, ever will do, is pre determined and is set on a constant replay loop forever. And we have no control over it. A endless machine of the mind, recycled for eternity. We don't die. We start from the beginning again and again and again. See you all in 80 years <3

scientists believe

citation needed

that when you die, you relive your entire life from start to finish. For everyone around you, this is a matter of seconds but to you, your brain perceives this as a extremely long, extended time. its lead to believe that, you right now are reliving your life on your death bed. All you ever done, ever will do, is pre determined and is set on a constant replay loop forever. And we have no control over it. A endless machine of the mind, recycled for eternity. We don't die. We start from the beginning again and again and again. See you all in 80 years <3

I can't even remember where I put my fucking car keys.  How am I supposed to remember every detail of my life with perfect recall at the time of death?  Human memory is not perfect.  Quite the opposite.  That's only one of the holes in your "theory".  Need I go on?  I think I do.  One more.

Your "theory" requires the brain to keep processing information faster and faster, but there's a physical limitation to how fast information can travel.  It's the speed of light in a vacuum.  The brain is not special in the sense that it is made of the same stuff the rest of the universe is made out of, so I am pretty sure that means it can't violate the physical laws that govern the rest of the universe.  Still not convinced?  Okay one more.

To continue the process forever, you'd also need infinite energy.  I think that should be enough to convince anyone that this just isn't possible.

citation needed

I can't even remember where I put my fucking car keys.  How am I supposed to remember every detail of my life with perfect recall at the time of death?  Human memory is not perfect.  Quite the opposite.  That's only one of the holes in your "theory".  Need I go on?  I think I do.  One more.

Your "theory" requires the brain to keep processing information faster and faster, but there's a physical limitation to how fast information can travel.  It's the speed of light in a vacuum.  The brain is not special in the sense that it is made of the same stuff the rest of the universe is made out of, so I am pretty sure that means it can't violate the physical laws that govern the rest of the universe.  Still not convinced?  Okay one more.

To continue the process forever, you'd also need infinite energy.  I think that should be enough to convince anyone that this just isn't possible.

"Scientists believe something that cannot ever be proven"

Our brain give us our reality. When it dies, all of your body won't function. Eyes, Hands, Feet, everything.

There is nothing on the "other" side. Just the end of your life. Nothing else, nothing more.

Thing is, maybe there IS another side. We just don't know it because there is no way of coming back so we are unaware. Those who are there, maybe they're still alive. Maybe they're having more fun than us. Who knows?

Archived