What it takes to be a "successful" trader

Trianon

... all Russians are like that. I can see my greed from a mile away too.

What the hell, dude? You don't have to go as far as pick on a single race for something like that. I'm not Russian myself but I think that's just the ignorance in you speaking out loud. Good job on showing your true self

The pic of the chat is OP talking with the other guy. Hence the Russian characters. Watch what you say especially when you don't know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell, dude? You don't have to go as far as pick on a single race for something like that. I'm not Russian myself but I think that's just the ignorance in you speaking out loud. Good job on showing your true self

The pic of the chat is OP talking with the other guy. Hence the Russian characters. Watch what you say especially when you don't know.

he's probably referencing the fact that by far, the largest group of scammers is Russian. 

he's probably referencing the fact that by far, the largest group of scammers is Russian.

Exactly, look at Ukraine.

I hate sharks and I am glad they get banned on outpost but I will add this.

1. Trade servers are full of sharks. They just sit there and wait for peopk like your friend.

2. If your unboxing and get an unusual. Come here first or stop unboxing. This community is filled with honest people who will help you for free.

Your friend just got a painless life lesson. Some people are the wrong people to talk to.

there is nothing wrong with offering on an item and letting them accept a trade. there is probably something wrong with lying about prices to people, but 100% of tf2 traders do that on unusuals anyway since what is "costs" is extremely subjective and even more debatable. if i bought a disco barnstormer or something else like that for 10 keys, i would not consider that sharking because in my opinion, most shitty unusuals are only really worth around that much

So, its ok to say that "All Russians are total cunts"? Wow, i'm just speechless.

So, its ok to say that "All Russians are total cunts"? Wow, i'm just speechless.

Well, maybe the Russian government should crack down on fraud, and this wouldn't be an issue. 

No government cracks down on kiddie wire fraud, get real AwesomeMc. Unless you have hard data to back up your bigoted claims it's probably best you don't single out nationalities and tar them all with the same scammer brush. There are scammers anywhere there is a financial incentive, not just in Russia.

"Never trust a Russian" is something that I often tell new traders.  I understand that there are exceptions, but if you get bitten by 9/10 snakes, you're going to stay clear of snakes from then on.  That's just how it is.

Also, while we are sharing sharking screenshots, you guys can feel free to have a look at these.

...and I wasn't even selling them.  IIRC, I was just looking for a scrap banker so I could change my weapons into scrap metal.  What an asshole, right?  I wish I could tell you that these kind of occurrences are rare, but we all know better.

"Never trust a Russian" is something that I often tell new traders.  I understand that there are exceptions, but if you get bitten by 9/10 snakes, you're going to stay clear of snakes from then on.  That's just how it is.

Also, while we are sharing sharking screenshots, you guys can feel free to have a look at these.

...and I wasn't even selling them.  IIRC, I was just looking for a scrap banker so I could change my weapons into scrap metal.  What an asshole, right?  I wish I could tell you that these kind of occurrences are rare, but we all know better.

Well, thanks to this forum i now know not only that all Russians are "total cunts", but also that they are like freaking snakes and never should be trusted.

I think i need to find a friendlier place now. I don't wanna hear any more insults to my nation.

Well, thanks to this forum i now know not only that all Russians are "total cunts", but also that they are like freaking snakes and never should be trusted.

I think i need to find a friendlier place now. I don't wanna hear any more insults to my nation.

If you didnt know that most of the phishers/scammers/sharks are Russian (especially phishers) i am sorry but that is a fact, not opinion. I have traded wuth plenty of russians and all were good guys. I am sorry that sonic dice was so rough in his comments but he is also not a regular here (4 posts). That just shows you his emotional reaction when talking about russian traders.

While I am sure that there are plenty of fine upstanding compassionate Russians, there are definitely a disproportionate amount of Russian hijackers and scammers within TF2.  In other words, the reputation is well earned.  Even though you may find it offensive, it does not mean that I will pretend that the situation does not exist.  I value the truth too much to sacrifice it on the altar of political correctness.

I have to put up with every European kid thinking it's cool calling Americans fat stupid and lazy assholes while ignoring the obvious problems and parallels within their own countries ( basically saying "your shit stinks but mine doesn't" ), so you can certainly put up with the reputation that Russians have in TF2.

I've never understand why they don't apply some kind of rule like the law in my home-country uses.

If you trade an item that's worth 1/18 less then the suggested market value of the item you're going to get then that's considered against the law (~not 100% that, but clear enough to explain my point). In that case trading an unusual for 1 weapon can be considered a shark and you will have a good guideline of what sharking is. Now it isn't even clear what can be considered a shark or what not.

The fact that you decieve people is an entire different thing in my opinion an should be banned on base of deception, not sharking.

Anyway, it's not like steamrep or outpost bans hurt the scammers/sharkers since they can just create an alt, etc.

Conclusion: people should be more aware of the value of their stuff themselves in my opinion since if you do get sharked there isn't really anything you can do about it (except an outpost ban/steamrep tag which misses their effect).

Whatever, i see most of you guys are ok with talking shit about whole nations.

FYI, if you say "most of you guys", you kind of make your point invalid.

FYI, if you say "most of you guys", you kind of make your point invalid.

logic doesn't usually work on someone with a persecution complex :/

Whatever, i see most of you guys are ok with talking shit about whole nations.

Its a generalisation and this is the internet.

Eg:

Americans are fat and love guns

Australians love crocodiles, vegemite and beach

...etc

Does it mean every single american is fat? No. It's a generalisation because it is what characteristics which stand out from the "rest"

And in this case russian = scammer. Doesnt mean all russians are scammers but it is a known fact that most scammers/phishers are russian. Phishing in tf2 literally originated from a few coders in russia who sold it to users.

Learn to deal with it or else you probably shouldnt be on the net...

Its a generalisation and this is the internet.

Eg:

Americans are fat and love guns

Australians love crocodiles, vegemite and beach

...etc

Does it mean every single american is fat? No. It's a generalisation because it is what characteristics which stand out from the "rest"

And in this case russian = scammer. Doesnt mean all russians are scammers but it is a known fact that most scammers/phishers are russian. Phishing in tf2 literally originated from a few coders in russia who sold it to users.

Learn to deal with it or else you probably shouldnt be on the net...

Damn, so many smartasses here. So, for example, some American guy asks you something. You listen to him and say "By the way, do you know that all Americans are fat bastards? I hate them. Never leave your hamburger near Americans, they will eat it".

Totally ok, yeah? I've asked for help and got some rude comments instead.

Damn, so many smartasses here. So, for example, some American guy asks you something. You listen to him and say "By the way, do you know that all Americans are fat bastards? I hate them. Never leave your hamburger near Americans, they will eat it".

Learn that this is the internet and im pretty sure you're the only one here who thinks it's rude...

There is a difference between what you say online and what you say in real life, most things people say on the net they will never say in real life. No one gives a damn about what you say on the net and you should probably learn that as well.

Australians love.... vegemite...

That shit is nasty :3 

Ummm yes actually. 

logic doesn't usually work on someone with a persecution complex :/

If you were Portuguese you wouldn't consider them to be rude comments. Its not our fault that this is what the impression is about Russian players. A lot of american traders are known to be dickish. Europeans are generally polite especially the sweedish. I have no impression about Asian, south american player/traders and ausies are upbeat and easy to deal with.

Its not an us problem, its a you problem. You are contributing to the famous Russian inferiority complex by acting the way you are.

I've asked for help and got some rude comments instead.

He has a point, you all took what was becoming a legitimate thread about sharking/scamming and the TF2 economy and turned it into a thread of generalisations, profiling, and some pretty nasty comments.

Archived