I sold a massed flies Ushanka for full pure

`Yahiamice

A couple months ago, i sold a massed flies Officer's Ushanka for my pure buyout in roughly ~2-3 weeks. I didn't think much of it, but just this week alone, i also sold a Massed Flies Otolaryngologist's Mirror for full price in BOs in less than a week, and sold a massed flies Gentleman's Gatsby on marketplace within hours of listing it.

0ydygQL.png

Out of all the effects i usually buy & sell, if i were to plot Massed flies in a chart in terms of liquidity, it'd likely rank in the top 3's, surpassing burning, scorching, and many desirable effects. Which is very puzzling; how is that the case? Could these have been lucky flukes, erroneously raising Massed Flies's desirability off of this poor sample size, or has the TF2 trading scene's perception of it changed over the years?

Having done unusual trading for nearly a decade, i recall the community-wide agreement that Massed Flies is the worst-of-the-worst, lowest tier effect you could ever dread to score on an unbox, and was kept in-check in a tier of it's own, with such powerful undesirability that it banishes any trash-tier hats (Coupe D'isaster, Hetman's Headpiece, Geisha Boy, HWAH...) to the confines of "BUYING ANY CANCER UNUSUALS 6 KEYS 4 KEYS IF GIFTED" outpost threads.

But now, it seems that Massed Flies jumped up a couple tiers, with it's average sitting comfortably above the likes of Twatt, P.Fetti and Bubbling/Steaming? 

C9vWKXY.png

How'd this happen; as in how did the perception of a notoriously unfavored effect radically flip throughout TF2's lifespan?

1. Could it be the various massed flies collectors increasing demand to complete their collections?
  2. Did a fix in TF2's particle system make the effect more visible/worthwhile to wear, without the point of origin disappearing or the flies' radius widening to the bounds of the map?
  3. Diaperfurs secretly controlling the economy like puppets on a string?
  4. New mass-unboxed mercenary grade single-classes w/ massed flies flooding the market, with their oversaturation leading people to favor old gen hats w/ Massed flies?
  5. The vicious cycle of ironically trying something unpopular, but then it ends up growing on you, to the point where you're unironically swearing it's "underrated"?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and theories about this, or anecdotes/experiences you've had involving massed flies hats, or any sort of bygone low-tier effect from old times

(And don't get me wrong, i'm not selling this theory as if "ZOMG MASSED FLIES IS SECRETLY TOP TIER!!! INVEST!!!", there's tons of all-classes and great hats w/ massed flies on the classifieds rotting at the bottom of the classifieds, so it's likely i just got lucky with those three lmao)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

my guess is that the effect is so dogshit people just like collecting it for the funny

honestly it's probably people wanting something more subtle instead of the overly flashy effects that are released en masse every year via cases.

• Like 2

i spent weeks of my life checking the Massed Flies Football Helmet sell orders every morning and every evening like a rabid animal and the second one popped up a couple weeks back i assaulted that listing like a rabid animal

flies does that to people. it digs into your head. you want it Carnally.

• Haha 4

in my experience, from back when I was still actively trading, it was easier to move cheaper hats, especially ones with less obnoxious effects (flies, smoking, steaming, etc.)

they're more affordable for people who aren't trader mains, and they still look nice.

edit:

2 minutes ago, Slam said:

honestly it's probably people wanting something more subtle instead of the overly flashy effects that are released en masse every year via cases.

this

1 hour ago, `Yahiamice said:

A couple months ago, i sold a massed flies Officer's Ushanka for my pure buyout in roughly ~2-3 weeks. I didn't think much of it, but just this week alone, i also sold a Massed Flies Otolaryngologist's Mirror for full price in BOs in less than a week, and sold a massed flies Gentleman's Gatsby on marketplace within hours of listing it.

0ydygQL.png

Out of all the effects i usually buy & sell, if i were to plot Massed flies in a chart in terms of liquidity, it'd likely rank in the top 3's, surpassing burning, scorching, and many desirable effects. Which is very puzzling; how is that the case? Could these have been lucky flukes, erroneously raising Massed Flies's desirability off of this poor sample size, or has the TF2 trading scene's perception of it changed over the years?

Having done unusual trading for nearly a decade, i recall the community-wide agreement that Massed Flies is the worst-of-the-worst, lowest tier effect you could ever dread to score on an unbox, and was kept in-check in a tier of it's own, with such powerful undesirability that it banishes any trash-tier hats (Coupe D'isaster, Hetman's Headpiece, Geisha Boy, HWAH...) to the confines of "BUYING ANY CANCER UNUSUALS 6 KEYS 4 KEYS IF GIFTED" outpost threads.

But now, it seems that Massed Flies jumped up a couple tiers, with it's average sitting comfortably above the likes of Twatt, P.Fetti and Bubbling/Steaming? 

C9vWKXY.png

How'd this happen; as in how did the perception of a notoriously unfavored effect radically flip throughout TF2's lifespan?

1. Could it be the various massed flies collectors increasing demand to complete their collections?
  2. Did a fix in TF2's particle system make the effect more visible/worthwhile to wear, without the point of origin disappearing or the flies' radius widening to the bounds of the map?
  3. Diaperfurs secretly controlling the economy like puppets on a string?
  4. New mass-unboxed mercenary grade single-classes w/ massed flies flooding the market, with their oversaturation leading people to favor old gen hats w/ Massed flies?
  5. The vicious cycle of ironically trying something unpopular, but then it ends up growing on you, to the point where you're unironically swearing it's "underrated"?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and theories about this, or anecdotes/experiences you've had involving massed flies hats, or any sort of bygone low-tier effect from old times

(And don't get me wrong, i'm not selling this theory as if "ZOMG MASSED FLIES IS SECRETLY TOP TIER!!! INVEST!!!", there's tons of all-classes and great hats w/ massed flies on the classifieds rotting at the bottom of the classifieds, so it's likely i just got lucky with those three lmao)

Massed flies is a god tier

the russellposting is now infecting people and spreading, I thought this was a genuine russellpost but it’s some weird hybrid of schizoposting and info dumping 

god bless this forum I knew amba would answer my prayers

15 minutes ago, Bananas said:

the russellposting is now infecting people and spreading, I thought this was a genuine russellpost but it’s some weird hybrid of schizoposting and info dumping 

New forum tactic: Bait people into thinking it's a russellpost, they rage-click the topic, but are then met with an actually interesting thread for once

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, `Yahiamice said:

New forum tactic: Bait people into thinking it's a russellpost, they rage-click the topic, but are then met with an actually interesting thread for once

HE CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

3 hours ago, Sir Pootr said:

my guess is that the effect is so dogshit people just like collecting it for the funny

It's way better than a lot of other effects tbh, beats overclocked and memory leak for sure

I guess I'm pricing all the massed flies hats in the morning... 

1 hour ago, JayTuut said:

It's way better than a lot of other effects tbh, beats overclocked and memory leak for sure

Absolutely not

1 hour ago, SpotlightR said:

Absolutely not

>doesn't own the Peak Chad-Tier Massed Flies Milkman

>owns the Stinky Poo-poo Smelly-Tier Memory Leak version instead

1 hour ago, SpotlightR said:

Absolutely not

Memory leak has to be the worst effect in the game by far

3 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

the only thing keeping Memory leak and Overclocked being the worst effect(s) in the game in my eyes is that at least you can see them more than half the time

Massed flies is the best on food hats change my mind

MASSED FLIES WING MANN TO THE MOON

3 hours ago, JayTuut said:

it's my favourite effect we gotta brawl in the street now

8 hours ago, `Yahiamice said:

Shame THIS wasn't interesting.

13 hours ago, Norah said:

i spent weeks of my life checking the Massed Flies Football Helmet sell orders every morning and every evening like a rabid animal and the second one popped up a couple weeks back i assaulted that listing like a rabid animal

flies does that to people. it digs into your head. you want it Carnally.

THAT WAS YOU! I was so confused when it sold instantly lol, I was already confused at the price and buyorders it had

I am happy at least a true flies football helmet appreciator got it, I clearly didn't deserve it!

3 hours ago, CRAZY VIKING said:

THAT WAS YOU! I was so confused when it sold instantly lol, I was already confused at the price and buyorders it had

I am happy at least a true flies football helmet appreciator got it, I clearly didn't deserve it!

scroll down a bit on the page and you'll see that 5 year old ridiculous price is the fault of  ↖  this freak right here . some brain worms just don't go away LMAO (and god these things are tough to get your hands on that MP dump was the first to move since my sale in 2021 afaik 😭)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bananas said:

please continue praying them. its having really good effects on the forum