Yes, I sold my dog. Here's why

OrangeZest

12 hours ago, JayTuut said:

Still 450 keys ...

o0B2uRU.png

I'm not justifying or defending his actions. Im just clarifying, because the way you worded it, sounded like the trade consisted of only the dog and the hat.

a very interesting look into the tf2 trading microcosm. not too dissimilar to real life, really.

The greed within the community is appalling. If he had really wanted to find care for the dog, he would've done it for free out of goodwill and not expecting some sort of compensation(450 keys). Surely I don't think  "support, and attention" falls along the lines of financial support; seeing the large size of his backpack. The fact that there needs to be a gain for doing such a "nice, thoughtful" act, is overshadowed by the predicate. Even if his friend was persistent in giving a rehoming fee, he should've refused. Moreso using an ANIMAL to help bump up an item value, which in turn BENEFITS the holder...those type of suggestions shouldn't belong in backpack tf. 

Personally I think that including your own dog in a trade for an item isn’t morally great for many reasons.

The dog after all is a living being and I think that representing its value like this in keys as if it were just another item thrown in, is wrong. Even if it is to a friend, representing the dog as just another part of the trade is questionable at best.

Another thing is that the fact that this event happened at all and given this much publicity, may mean it could be more likely to happen again as people now see this as a possibility. This is something that should have been kept under wraps so that the community didn’t have to experience as much controversy for no reason.

As some other people have mentioned, even if they no longer wanted the dog, there were better ways of handling the issue by not involving a trade and making up a value for the dog in keys. A simple irl exchange with no further posts would have been a better solution in my opinion. The same way it’s done normally for this kind of situation 

I hope we do not get another repeat of this as it is truly unnecessary and trading a dog for a TF2 item is a bit excessive.