Death of MidTier Unusuals

beachdog

i got back into tf2 at the beginning of 2021 after about 5 years. I hopped right back into trading because it's always been one of my favorite parts of this game. i put about a hundred bucks in to start, built my way up to 200+ and i've been shopping for a new unusual to keep for a while. i've noticed through my search that there's a big gap in the market. there are so many hats that you can't find in the "mid tier" range. like there just aren't any weather effects, miami nights, dbd, circling effects. they're just not on the market despite the fact that stats show that TONS exist. it seems like all that i can find is either nuts n bolts or a halloween effects that costs a couple hundred keys. it really confuses me because id assume that after the crate depression people wouldn't want to hang onto the middle of the road hats since they could have 10 random unreadable mid tier hats that they paid nothing for. but for some reason, the market just seems to be void of them. i check classifieds, trade bot websites, trade servers, and the scm almost daily just waiting for something to pop up and it hasn't happened since i got back. it's disheartening knowing that unless i end up shelling out a few hundred bucks i'm not gonna be able to get any kind of actually wearable hat. but because i refuse to do that. i'm just stuck where i am. 

is there something i'm missing?

Define "Mid Range" I traded on TF2 for years mid range to me is a few hundred bucks. my definition is the following

Low tier - 1-50 keys

Low - Mid 51-150 keys

Mid - 151 - 499

Mid - High 500-999

High 1000+

I think this comes down too two things, 1st is perspective on the market based on how much money you are willing to spend and 2nd is the fact that inflation is ballooning the market. the fact that metal will never stop being generated means the more the game ages the less keys / pure will be valued at. Hence prices will go up, also add the fact that as the game gets older older effects get harder and harder to find as less hit the market  

How can you not find blizzardy/stormy, miami nights, dbd, and circling hearts if you are checking classifieds, trade bot websites, trade servers, and scm?

I think what you're missing is the hundreds of these hats that are listed...

2 minutes ago, Offline said:

How can you not find blizzardy/stormy, miami nights, dbd, and circling hearts if you are checking classifieds, trade bot websites, trade servers, and scm?

bro leave me alone all you've been doing for the past 15 years is flex your score on an online video game inside a screen. this really represents how much of a try hard you are and how much you sweat on things that don't even make a slight positive difference in your life, all they do is make your life worse by ruining your schedules and taking up extra time so you cant study or exercise or even eat at the correct times. you gain absolutely nothing from doing what you do, and you have the audacity to show off your scores from a useless and valueless video game to other people, who are living the same story and life as you. this really shows how much you've gone into this whole online world and the world of video gaming. yet you show no signs of regret and you have made multiple people furious at your actions. you kill them in game, make them mad, god knows what they've done to cool off, then you come and flex your scores to us, making us rethink our life choices and think about how much we suck compared to you. i'm going out of my way to write this message, this really shows that i am really bored and i have nothing to do. but you gotta know; its just a game. and the things you do in the game are valueless, worthless, and it will all be meaningless in the end. goodbye.

17 minutes ago, Argylekicks said:

Define "Mid Range" I traded on TF2 for years mid range to me is a few hundred bucks. my definition is the following

Low tier - 1-50 keys

Low - Mid 51-150 keys

Mid - 151 - 499

Mid - High 500-999

High 1000+

my definition has always been

low: under 20

mid: 21-60ish

high: 60-150ish

god: 150+ 

1 hour ago, beachdog said:

i got back into tf2 at the beginning of 2021 after about 5 years. I hopped right back into trading because it's always been one of my favorite parts of this game. i put about a hundred bucks in to start, built my way up to 200+ and i've been shopping for a new unusual to keep for a while. i've noticed through my search that there's a big gap in the market. there are so many hats that you can't find in the "mid tier" range. like there just aren't any weather effects, miami nights, dbd, circling effects. they're just not on the market despite the fact that stats show that TONS exist. it seems like all that i can find is either nuts n bolts or a halloween effects that costs a couple hundred keys. it really confuses me because id assume that after the crate depression people wouldn't want to hang onto the middle of the road hats since they could have 10 random unreadable mid tier hats that they paid nothing for. but for some reason, the market just seems to be void of them. i check classifieds, trade bot websites, trade servers, and the scm almost daily just waiting for something to pop up and it hasn't happened since i got back. it's disheartening knowing that unless i end up shelling out a few hundred bucks i'm not gonna be able to get any kind of actually wearable hat. but because i refuse to do that. i'm just stuck where i am. 

is there something i'm missing?

Well, for most casual players, keep in mind that games usually cost people anywhere between $20-60. 

Considering tf2 is a free to play game, if someone really enjoys tf2, then they probably wouldn't mind shelling out that amount for unusual items given their appreciation for the game and their desire to show off. 

Some more might want to spend a bit more into the $60-200 range, because they play it a lot. 

You aren't going to get that many people wanting to throw in a few hundred bucks, hence the market stagnation there

That said, there's definitely a lot of midtiers left on the market, you just have to know where to look. 

1 hour ago, beachdog said:

there are so many hats that you can't find in the "mid tier" range. like there just aren't any weather effects, miami nights, dbd, circling effects.

I sorted the classifieds by these effects and my page crashed there were so many

1 hour ago, Offline said:

i'm on mobile so it won't let me use images but some examples i found

killawatt combustible kabuto, 19 exist,

zero in classifieds

miami nights ground control, 14 exist,

zero in classifieds

vivid plasma el jefe, 15 exist,

zero in classifieds

miami nights frontier djustice, 18 exist, zero in classifieds.

i wouldn't consider any of these overly desirable but the fact that a good amount exist and there aren't any readily available? there's big gaps in certain hats. like i mentioned you can buy nuts n bolts or halloween effects. there's very little in between especially with hats that have been out as long as these have.

i think a big part of what i'm talking about is the fact that everyone wants soldier hats and that's what i've mainly been looking at. and demoman has so very few unusuals that aren't butt ugly that both of those classes are harder to shop for than say medic or spy

26 minutes ago, beachdog said:

i think a big part of what i'm talking about is the fact that everyone wants soldier hats and that's what i've mainly been looking at. and demoman has so very few unusuals that aren't butt ugly that both of those classes are harder to shop for than say medic or spy

There is a tons of soldier hat with effects like blizzardy/stormy, miami nights, dbd, and circling hearts.It maybe not the one that you are looking for but it's still there on the classfield

It's only natural that the prices of even mid-tiers have gone up, since the supply of pre-case crates are slowly running out whilst people unbox them less and less each day, so new old-school hats aren't being unboxed at anywhere near a rate to keep the supply in-line with the demand. Energy effects specifically have always been underrated IMO, they're large, pretty good looking, and simplistic enough to not be an eyesore, so energies on higher-tier hats becoming more expensive is something I always anticipated happening.

The biggest thing about buying fancy TF2 items is that, unlike just about every other F2P game that you buy fancy things to show off in, TF2 items are able to be traded after you buy them, and if you decide you're bored of the game or just need the money, you can sell those items back; often for as much as or more than you paid for them (assuming you don't buy garbage items like dead presidents robo hats), so essentially as long as the TF2 market doesn't totally crash and you have a tiny bit of patience/time you don't have to worry about that money being "wasted".

Save some extra cash to really get what you want and spoil yourself. If it's socially acceptable for people to spend hundreds extra on shoes/purses/etc that are identical to the lower-price ones just because "they have a cool brand logo on them" then it's totally fine to spend a hundred bucks on a virtual cosmetic with a neat particle effect that you can show off.

3 hours ago, Slam said:

The biggest thing about buying fancy TF2 items is that, unlike just about every other F2P game that you buy fancy things to show off in, TF2 items are able to be traded after you buy them, and if you decide you're bored of the game or just need the money, you can sell those items back; often for as much as or more than you paid for them (assuming you don't buy garbage items like dead presidents robo hats), so essentially as long as the TF2 market doesn't totally crash and you have a tiny bit of patience/time you don't have to worry about that money being "wasted".

Save some extra cash to really get what you want and spoil yourself. If it's socially acceptable for people to spend hundreds extra on shoes/purses/etc that are identical to the lower-price ones just because "they have a cool brand logo on them" then it's totally fine to spend a hundred bucks on a virtual cosmetic with a neat particle effect that you can show off.

you're completely absolutely right but i'm going through it rough financially, so i can't, i'm just trying to make what's in my backpack rn work.

6 hours ago, Offline said:

my guess is OP doesn't understand classified listings and/or premium search

@ OP 

Here's a classifieds with soldier and demo with the effects you mentioned. If you're not sure how to search through classifieds: Go to classifieds tab -> click the ... in the top right -> General section -> Select the classes you're looking for -> go to Particle Effects  -> Have fun looking through them all and clicking the ones you're interested in.

https://backpack.tf/classifieds?page=1&class=soldier%2Cdemoman&particle=30%2C11%2C18%2C19%2C58%2C61%2C62%2C29

8 hours ago, beachdog said:

my definition has always been

low: under 20

mid: 21-60ish

high: 60-150ish

god: 150+ 

Crazy medic voice

”Today… I AM A GOD!!!”

13 hours ago, n_n said:

YOLO! Buy the hat you want and live life fully with no regrets. 😄

of course you would say that lol

Archived